Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

ZBA Meeting Minutes with Selectboard

    Town of Leicester

 Zoning Board of Adjustment Minutes

Tuesday, January 26, 2010




** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present:   Donna Swinington, Jeff McDonough, Peter Fjeld


Absent:  Tim Johnson, Gerry Flint


Others Present:   Kate Briggs, Diane Benware, Bob Oliver, Ken Young, Ron Fiske, Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order/Roll Call:  Meeting called to order at 6:05 p.m. by Chair and roll call. 


Reviewed Agenda.


Approve Minutes of January 7, 2010.


Motion by Jeff to approve minutes of January 7, 2010 as written.  Second by Pete.  All in favor.  So approved.




Donna reported to the Selectboard that they will need an extension of a year on the Town Plan.  They have been going through the document and highlighting wording but they are not sure if they are going to get maps/graphs from ACRP since there is no grant money.


There is no grant money.  Donna will talk with Kevin at ACRP who does graphs next Monday to see if they can get some done from the dues that Leicester pays.


Kate thought that maybe all the statistical information could be in an appendix.  Discussion about whether the statistics need to be embedded into the document.


Diane asked, with the idea of the appendix with stand alone data, does that meet the needs and allow the ZBA to move forward with the other stuff?


Jeff asked about the questionnaire.


Kate emailed Linda Brogan the survey questions and she is helping to get the 10 survey questions into Survey Monkey.  She will email Kate a final copy that we could reproduce and send home with the school children.


They would like to have it on-line for three or four weeks.  Linda will be setting up a Link.


Diane mentioned that they could pass the questionnaire out at Town Meeting.


Timeline is that they would have their data back by the end of March, beginning of April.  In reviewing the data they would determine if there was any sense of direction from that.  They would use any of that information available.


Ron mentioned an idea of the booklet for Lake Dunmore. 


ZBA plans to publish in-house and print a few hard copies and the document will be on-line.  Pete mentioned we might charge a few bucks if people want a printed copy.


The plan can be very simple if we can use documents from ACRP or it can be time consuming if we have to recreate documents.  It could take awhile.


Action:  Diane will check the 2008 minutes to see what action the Selectboard took.  Donna thinks it was two years.


Diane asked what the Selectboard could do to support the ZBA/PC Board.


Donna stated that we need to get active members.  Gerry is resigning and Tim wants to stay on but will not be available for awhile.


Bethany Menkart was earlier named as an alternate.  We will promote her to a delegate.


Action:  Diane will contact Bethany.  She will put an article in paper seeking one member and alternate member and on the bulletin board and web-site.  Diane will do a press release.


Diane asked about two meetings a month or consolidating the meetings.  PC meeting is the second Wednesday of the night and ZBA is the last Tuesday of the month.


Discussion about two meetings a month or consolidating the two meetings.  There was consensus that they wanted to remain as they are for now. 


Diane asked how the Selectboard can support new members. 


Kate mentioned that we could have our own in-house orientation.  Ron has some pamphlets that would be helpful.


Diane asked the new members what kinds of things would be helpful to a new member.  Jeff and Pete mentioned:

·       A sit down orientation without the public present

·       Duties and Goals

·        ZBA By-Law Book

·       Scope of Zoning

Discussion on fees and fee structure and zoning budget.  The Selectboard put in $3,000 of support in the zoning budget.  $1,000 zoning, $1,000 printing, $1,000 secretary.


ZBA recommendation of fee changes for March 1, 2010.

·        Increase variance to $150 plus mailing costs & advertising costs

·        Leave basic permit fee at $75

·        Increase appeal costs to $100

·        After the fact penalty increased to double the original fee

Diane will type up proposed fee schedule for next Selectboard meeting on Monday.


Ron and Kate volunteered to draft revisions of the zoning regulations, clarifying definitions and getting rid of boat house.


Jeff asked about insurance coverage for board members and volunteers.  It’s called voluntary endorsement.  He’s looking for personal coverage. Shouldn’t members be covered if they are out looking at property or site?


Action:  Diane will ask VLCT about board members when they come on Thursday.


Motion by Jeff to appoint Pete as Chair of the ZBA.  Second by Donna.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Jeff  to adjourn meeting at 7:22 p.m.  Second by Pete.  All in favor.  So approved.



Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley

ZBA Secretary