Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, June 17, 2013
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes
Members Absent:  Ken Young
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Suki Fredericks, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
Review of Agenda:
Approval of June 3, 2013 Minutes:
Motion by Brad and second by Ron to approve minutes of June 3, 2013 as written.  All in favor.  So approved.
Review/Authorization to pay bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer
Julie reported that delinquent taxes are at $64,000.
Julie sent an email to Steve Jeffries & Bill Johnson at the Tax Department in regard to the tax forms  having different dates issue and how to deal with delinquents.  She received a return email from Bill Johnson and they were discussing a plan and that the Tax Commissioner would be having discussions with Steve Jeffrey at VLCT and Karen Ricard who is the VT Municipal Clerk Treasurer’s Association Clerk Representative for legislative things.  The Tax Department will be issuing an informational bulletin to all towns in the next week or so.
Julie reported that a couple more dog licenses came in.  Julie will email Paul and ask him to come and see her so he can start the dog census.  There are not many unregistered dogs left.
Town Foreman:
Arlan reported that Scott has been doing some grading on Hooker and Cram roads.   They have been working on the corner on Ferson Road.  They cut all the trees last week and have done all the digging they can do.  Arlan wants to cut some trees by the old school on Delorm Road.
Arlan gave a figure of $15,000 to do the culvert work.  He expects four days of work on the road, but road will only be closed for two days.
Signs need to be put up beforehand.  The signs will need to be back by Fern Lake to give enough notice.  They may need to put up jersey barriers; as well.
Motion by Ron and second by Tom to authorize Arlan to replace culvert on Fern Lake Road.  All in favor.  So approved.
Arlan reported that they put up some road signs.
Tom asked Julie about updating the town’s web-site.
Cemetery Committee:
Tom contacted Don Durkee and he is supposed to start the work.
Zoning Administrator:  None
Listers:  None
Weight Permit(s):  None
Lister Vacancy:
Chair read letter of resignation from James Russo into the record.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to accept James Russo’s letter of resignation.  All in favor.  So approved.
Senior Center Building Needs:
Ron brought the estimate from Bob Munger for the cost to repair the Senior Center.  It came in over $16,000.  That’s everything new from the upper windows down, all new floor joists across the front of the building.  New door, prime & paint.  They talked about ventilation, but Ron wasn’t sure if ventilation was in the estimate. 
Ron reported that they need to get a plumber to put in a sump pump.
Ron reported that the cement block piers need to be shored up/stabilized on the back end while they are in there.
Board is guessing approximately $20,000 when all is said and done.
Bob will work by the hour or as a bid.  He gets $25 per hour.
Ron would like to get together with Bob one more time and get more details of the estimate. 
Ron will also contact other contractors in town.
Front Porch Forum:
Suki Fredericks informed the Board about the Front Porch Forum.  It is a community web-site with towns grouping together.  People can go on and offer information or questions of others for information.  They have been very successful north of us.  You can do neighborhood watches; or anything valuable to people.  Share information and news.  It is really simple.  Very organized.  If the town is a member then anyone in Leicester is allowed to post on the town’s section of the forum.  It is friendly and screened.  It is not to vent about things.  It is monitored by the Front Porch Forum organization.
They have raised 2/3 or $600 of the $900 fee.  Salisbury would split the last $300 to get Leicester in.  For $150, Leicester can join.  Suki stated that she would be willing to raise the $150 for Leicester.  It is a one-time fee.  No future cost, so Leicester has nothing to lose.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to participate in the Front Porch Forum.  All in favor.  So approved.
Julie asked if the town was liable for anything put on the forum.  The Board felt that this is a private forum and citizen based and there is no responsibility to the town.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to authorize Treasurer to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
Executive Session:  Personnel Issue:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to go into executive session to discuss personnel at 7:30 p.m.  All in favor.  So approved.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to come out of executive session at 7:55 p.m. with no action taken.  All in favor.  So approved.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to adjourn at 8:00 p.m. 
Next meeting July 1, 2013.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary