Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 20, 2013
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ken Young, Brad Lawes
 
Absent:  Ron Fiske
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
 
Review of Agenda:
 
Approval of May 6, 2013 Minutes:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of May 6, 2013 with corrections.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Corrections:  at the bottom of page 1, the spelling of heroin corrected.  Top of page 3 where Julie talked with Sue in Cornwall.  The sentence: She makes the decisions.  This should read; Sue makes the decisions on what is posted.
 
Review/Authorization to pay bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer
 
Julie signed a contract for the new Canon copier for $110 a month.  It will be installed next week.  No one will service the old copier if we were to keep it as a second copier.  The salesman has a copier the town could buy for $500 with a service agreement as a second copier for $15 a month.   Board thinks they will just stay with the one new copier and no need for a second. 
 
Julie has about 16 or 17 dogs left on her list.  She has had pretty good response.  As soon as Paul is out of school, he will get the list and he can start doing his dog census.
 
Delinquent taxes coming in have been minimal.
 
Julie reported for Kate that the Planning Commission will be having a meeting after the zoning meeting on Tuesday, if members of the Board would like to attend.
 
Zoning Administrator:  None
 
 
 
 
Town Foreman:
 
Arlan reported that they got the bridge cleaned and it is ready to be washed.  They cut the brush on the south side.
 
They are working on the north end of Shackett Road where the ledge needs to come out.  All the trees and all the stumps are cut out and most of the dirt is out.  Arlan wants to get the one on the Ferson Road ready and one by the old schoolhouse on Delorm Road ready, so when they get someone to hammer it, they can go right around and get all of them done at the same time.
 
Ken mentioned the bump on Bullock Road needs fixing. 
 
Arlan put the crushed stone on the northern crossing on Jerusalem Road.  Diane mentioned that in one spot the track looked twisted and not level. 
 
Arlan thinks someone should contact the railroad.  Ken will check with them.
 
Tom mentioned that grading needs to be done.
 
Arlan received the hydraulic study with no surprises with the recommendations.  No action taken.  
 
Arlan will look at the shoulders and report back on June 3, 2013.
 
Cemetery Committee:
 
Tom talked with Don Durkee about cleaning the stones.  Don will look at the stones and give us a price.
 
Listers:
 
Julie reported that grievances are supposed to happen tomorrow.  Four names are on the list.
 
Weight Permit(s):  None
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
 NEW BUSINESS
 
High Risk Rural Roads:
 
Diane mentioned the accident on May 5, 2013 on Leicester/Whiting Road.  She had written to Daryl Benoit at ACRP explaining the board’s feeling about guardrails being necessary or building up the road beds and board was hoping for work to start this summer.  Daryl emailed back and wanted to know more details about the accident.  He wanted to set up a traffic counter on that road to capture speed data, pre and post.
 
Daryl informed Diane that they are behind schedule on the signs and it would take a politician’s influence to get things moving.  HRRR are behind schedule.  Tom and Julie recommended contacting Claire Ayer, Chris Bray and Willem Jewett.  They have been very responsive in the past.
 
Daryl informed Diane that Josh Schultz, the Project Manager for traffic design will be available to address the Selectboard in regard to the 2012 Report, if they would like.
 
Arlan reported there is not much of a shoulder in that area where the accident happened.  There is really no place for guardrails.  It has been that way for years.  Arlan will look at it and report back.
 
VT Gas Update:
 
Diane reported that at the April 22nd meeting, literature was handed out and she is providing it tonight to the board.  The route revisions were supposed to happen last week, but they have slowed down the process.   The Work Routing Group met on May 10th and meeting on Friday, May 24th at ACRP at 7:30.  Diane has received a couple contradictory messages.  The CEO said there were no meetings scheduled between Leicester and Salisbury; however, Salisbury had one last Tuesday.
 
Tom stated there was a meeting last Tuesday night in Salisbury.  The CEO was there and two others from the gas company.  One guy is taking care of the methane plant and the other two were from VT Gas.  Tom found it very interesting.  They have been doing all their mapping and they said this week they would have the preliminary plan of the route.
 
Diane indicated a web-site has been set up in by Leicester citizens; keepleicestersafe.com, signs have been put out and petitions are going around.
 
Motion by Brad and second by Ken to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to go into Executive Session at 7:24 p.m. for pending legal issue. All in favor.  So approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to come out of Executive Session at 7:39 p.m.; no action taken.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to adjourn at 7:40 p.m. All in favor.  So approved.
Meeting adjourned at 7:40 p.m.
Next meeting June 3, 2013
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary