Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, December 16, 2013
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Ken Young, Brad Lawes
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Kate Briggs, Cecile Todd, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
Review of Agenda:
Approval of December 2, 2013 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to approve minutes of December 2, 2013 as written.  All in favor.  So approved.
Review/Authorization to pay bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to authorize Treasurer to pay 2013 bills as they come in.  All in favor.  So approved.
Julie reported that delinquents are at $117,750.  She reported they are not moving fast and she needs the money.  Tom recommended a letter be sent to the tax collector.  Julie suggested they invite Beth to the next meeting to give them an update on a tax sale.  Diane will invite Beth to the next meeting.
There was discussion about being more aggressive in attempting to collect delinquent taxes.
Julie reported that heat was off in the brick building.  Someone had shut the emergency switch off.  David is going to look for a cover for the switch.  Julie asked about a red light to know when it is not going.
Board authorized Julie to get a light bulb and lamp.
Julie reported that LaRose started work this week.
Motion by Ken and second by Ron authorizing Treasurer to make a first installment of $2,000 to LaRose Survey.  All in favor.  So approved.
Julie reported that Foxcroft Farm, Anne Young, would like to add Foxcroft on to the budget in the range of $4,000 - $5,000.  Board thought because it is new, it should be an appropriation by petition and on the ballot.  It would be a separate article and voted  on by Australian ballot.
Cecile asked if Anne was also asking other towns for money.  Ken stated she was asking at least Pittsford, Brandon and Leicester that he was sure about. 
Municipal Planning Grant needs to be signed by the end of December.
The new computer is here for Kate and the listers.   The other computer needs to be replaced.  There is money in the lister budget. 
Board authorized Treasurer to purchase the computer now.
Julie asked the Board if she could offer the old monitors to other towns.  Board was in agreement.  Julie will put them out to anyone who wants them.
Kate received a copy of a letter which states that Jeff Smith is not appealing the decision from Environmental Court.  He has started to remediate the site.
Kate is asking Julie to email this letter to the cross-appellants and send to Jim Carroll’s office to close the case so there is no further billing.
Kate commented that there is a new landowner on Hideaway Trail on the south end of the lake.  This person has already moved a building and cut down trees without a permit before he owned the property.
Kate received a call complaining about the garbage/trash on Leicester/Whiting Road just before the Junction.  Diane is looking into it.  She is calling Montpelier.
Kate had a phone message from Dale Counter about his sewer line.  They claim the sewer line is just a broken line.  Kate gave them Rick Oberkirch’s number.
Ron received two calls of complaint that the Counter’s were putting in a leach field.  Ron told Dale to call Kate.  It’s not a town issue, but a state issue, but Kate could give him contacts.
Tom also received a call from a complainant.
Kate stated that our role is one of investigating and reporting only; and they pass it on to the State.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that they repaired the dirt roads from the rain last week.  They plowed snow yesterday.
Diane mentioned that the round railroad crossing signs are missing on Old Jerusalem Road.  Arlan doesn’t think it is the town’s responsibility; but the railroad’s responsibility
Tom mentioned a sign that is down at the intersection by the town shed.
Cecile Todd asked if the town still owns the Pinky Johnson Access Road.  Her husband, Dave, went up tonight and said that the person who owns Chet Ketcham’s home that burned has put in aerators and the ice doesn’t freeze.  They feel it is a really dangerous situation.  Also, it is dangerous coming from the other way.  Cecile was wondering about the town’s liability; as well.
Tom doesn’t think there is anything we can do about it, but thinks there is a liability if the Board knows of the danger.  This is a question for the attorney.  Would it be a civil liability or town liability?
Brad didn’t feel he has a right to put in a bubbler and it is interfering with the natural flow of the lake.  He asked what right he has putting a mechanical device in the water and whether it would be a State issue.  Brad thinks we should let the State know about this. He wondered if our liability ended at the shore.
 Motion by Tom and second by Ron to have the Chair contact Jim Carroll about his opinion of the town’s liability.  All in favor.  So approved.
Kate will check with the State.
Listing:  None
Cemetery Committee:  None
Fire Contract with Brandon Fire Department:
Diane read the fire contract.
Continued discussion of the pros and cons of signing the fire contract.
4 Board Members signed the fire contract; 1 nay.
Julie needs Fire Chief’s letter for the Town Report that explains the change in the money; how they went from 20,000 to 32,000 so the town’s people will understand.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
Building a Budget:
Board needs to be thinking about the next budget. 
Ken would like to see some funds go into the budget to help clean up the cemetery.  Possibly fix posts and pipes, scrub trees should be cleaned up and make a lawn out to the pole. Clean up sides that are visible.  Perhaps put in some memory trees or memorial for veterans that may be buried in the cemetery.
Brad has a friend in the fencing business that will come down and look at the cemetery at no cost to the town; and possibly give some ideas and estimates for possible multi-year plan.
  • Increasing Fire Department    12,000
  • Increase for BLSG
  • Increase for Tax Maps              2,000
  • Increase for Insurance
  • Cemetery Fund                         2,000             Ken: talk with Gus on quote cemetery mowing
  • Brush Mowing & Cutting         3,000
  • Town Green  (level fund)                               Diane: talk with Calvin on green quote mowing
  • Paving
Ken asked Arlan to get a paving estimate from D&F on Delorm Road for next meeting.
Senior Center Building Needs:
Ron and Ken need to contact Mr. Munger to find out when he will be done with the Senior Center.  He said he would be done before the end of the year.  We operate on a calendar year; not much time left.  Board stated no more checks until the project is done.
Leicester 5k Race:
Heather LaPorte contacted Diane to let the Board know that the Friends of Leicester Central School are in the early stages of planning a fund raiser with a 5k event in the spring.  She was wondering what steps they would need to take to use town roads.
For safety reasons, Julie suggested starting at Bullock Road, going down Bullock and back.  She suggested a walk-way so they would actually be on the road and barriers on other entrances.  It would only affect 4 houses on the road.  The town could close the road for 3 or 4 hours.  They would need event insurance.
Board feels they should accommodate in any way they can. 
Board has given preliminary approval.  Julie will contact Heather.
Board encouraged Brad to attend the BLSG meetings and report back.
Ken thanked Julie and her family for their holiday treats. 
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to adjourn at 8:20 p.m.
Next Meeting January 6, 2014.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary