Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, April 1, 2013
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, Ken Young
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Kate Briggs, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:32 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
Review of Agenda:
Approval of March 18, 2013 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of March 18, 2013 as written. All in favor.  So approved.
Review/Authorization to pay bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer
Julie reported delinquents were at $72,900.
Julie reported that dog licenses are due today.  There have been just under 200 licensed.  50 or 60 dogs delinquent.  Julie will get Paul Crosby the list of unlicensed dogs.
Julie doesn’t have paperwork for the loan yet, so that will be at the next meeting.
Vote next Tuesday April 9th.  Need to set up voting booths tonight.
 Zoning Administrator:
Kate reported that Bill Shouldice, who is on the Planning Commission and Zoning Board, has been trying to represent the town and the property owners on Lake Dunmore in regard to Shoreline Bill H.526.  There are some implications for the zoning regulations that we are adopting.  There are a couple of amendments that were passed to H.526 that reflected the interest of the property owners; private roads and their maintenance and the concept of shore lands of the State owned by private persons remain private property. 
Ron reported that there is a list of lakes now, and if you are on this list and you have the zoning, you don’t get State zoning.  You control your own zoning on the lake. We can’t get on the list until we put a couple things in our zoning.  We need to get Leicester on the list.
Kate stated that Bill was strongly recommending what Ron was talking about. 
We need to have the vegetation and a 50 foot buffer in our regulations.
The E-Court finally ruled on the summary judgment for Jeff Smith.   There is a four page decision.    They dismissed his motion for summary judgment.  The plan now is a 1-day trial in September.
Kate reported a call from a neighbor regarding the rebuilding of Jeff McDonough’s house.  They were complaining about no permit.  Kate explained it doesn’t need a permit due to an act of nature.  Kate visited the site and reported that there is no problem that Kate could see.
Kate did report that while investigating this complaint, she did find a problem with the access road and dirt pouring down.  Kate asked the Selectboard to go over and take a look at it.  The silt is running down.  Arlan and Brad will inspect the access road and report back.
The school house on Blue Ledge Farm is established the oldest school house in Addison County around 1790.  It has to be moved fairly soon or demolished.  Randall Brisson is willing to take it down and move it.  Some residents are willing to have it on their property.  She brought the paperwork for the 501C (3) application for Diane.  Kate will send an email who has expressed an interest in the building.
Green Up day is May 4th.
Town Foreman:
Arlan reviewed the weight permits and gave them to Brad for signature.
Arlan reported they have done most of the grading.  Tom stated that they need to do some more on Delorm Road.
Motion made by Tom and second by Ron to approve the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
Julie mentioned that all the lights have been on in the white building.  We need to turn them off.
Julie thinks they should go out and look where the bus and cars are driving on the grass and make sure they are not driving on the septic.  The board went outside to view the area.
Board agreed to put a no parking sign so they don’t drive on the grass.  Arlan will check for signs.
Addison County Regional Planning appointment papers need to be updated.  Diane will complete.
VT Gas Pipeline Proposal:
Vermont Gas is looking to run a pipeline from Middlebury to Ticonderoga.  Middlebury, Cornwall and Shoreham have already had one meeting.  Jim Hamilton from VT Gas called to invite a representative from Leicester to come to their next meeting on Friday, April 5, 2013 at 7:30 a.m. at ACRP on Seminary St.  Brad stated he could go.
Financial Plan Highway:
The annual financial plan presented by Tom Roberts was signed.
Road and Bridge Standards:
Board is signing the January 2013 version.
Liquor & Tobacco License:
Board signed licenses for Leicester General Store.
Health Officer:  None
Cemetery Committee:   None
Citizen Complaint:
Mr. Jose Meza complained about condition of the road coming off Fern Lake Road onto Rt.7, the drain in the winter was a hole and took out the wheel bearing on his car.  He is requesting $270.  Arlan will ask State employees in Brandon and report back.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to deny request for $270 because town is not liable for Mr. Meza’s car, as grate is in the State’s right of way.  All in favor.  So approved.
Lister Vacancy Update:
Ron reported that there is another bill, if it passes, the town will not need to have listers anymore. 
Equipment & Building Funds:
Ron brought up the discussion of the equipment and building funds and what they are going to do with the money.
Ken suggested that the Road Commissioner put out notice to John Deere and Cat that when they have something, get back to us.  Tom mentioned he has been looking for Salisbury with Case, Volvo, Cat and John Deere and has already mentioned it to them.
Brad asked if the grader was the first piece of equipment they want to buy or a plow truck.  There was discussion of pros and cons and the cost.  All agreed it wasn’t a priority at this point.  Good used graders are hard to find.  If a good one presents itself, they will consider purchasing it.
Brad brought up the white building and we need to get started finding a contractor to tear apart and see what we are dealing with. 
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to contact Bob Munger, pay by the hour, open up building and give them an idea of what they need.  Ron will oversee project.  Bob needs to see Julie for paperwork before he begins work.  All in favor.  So approved.  Ron will contact Bob.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to go into Executive Session at 8:25 p.m. for legal issue.  Passed unanimously.
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to come out of Executive Session at 8:30 p.m. with no action taken.  Passed unanimously.
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to adjourn at 8:31 p.m.  Passed unanimously.
Meeting adjourned 8:31 p.m.
Next Meeting April 15, 2013.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary