Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, November 18, 2013
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Ken Young
 
Members Absent:  Brad Lawes
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Diane Harvey, Jeff Lee, Michele Lee, Kevin & Ron LaRose, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
 
Review of Agenda:
 
Approval of November 4, 2013 Minutes:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve minutes of November 4, 2013 as written with correction of spelling of floor joices to “joists” under Senior Center Building Needs.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Review/Authorization to pay bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported that the fire extinguishers have been checked.  They are good for another year.
 
Julie was unsuccessful convincing the Department of Taxes to reevaluate the town’s payment.  In the bills is a check for $22,913 of which the town owes less.  If they don’t pay it, they will be charged 8%.  Tomorrow Julie is going to Montpelier to meet with a group of people as a follow up of a previous meeting and Julie is going to bring this up.  There are probably only three towns in the state that are in our situation; and Leicester is probably the only one on a calendar year. 
 
Julie has paid Leicester School and she needs to finish paying $118,000 to Otter Valley and has encouraged Beth to get delinquents.  Delinquents are about $120,000.
 
Julie would like to replace one of the listers computers.  The computer and labor will be about $800.
 
Motion by Ron and second by Tom to replace computer with funds to come out of the lister budget.
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported that Scott has been doing some grading; and all the roads have been graded now.  He hauled some gravel.
 
Tom asked about the gravel budget, but Arlan didn’t know.
 
Ken had a visit from a gentleman who had an altercation with the brush hog man between Roger Scarborough’s and Mrs. Adams’.  After they had exchanged a few words, the operator got on his tractor, pulled up his brush hog, left his signs and took off.  The gentleman spent quite a few minutes and picked up brush in the road. Ken went over and even after the road was picked up, there was still a lot of debris left in the road.
 
Arlan was not aware of the incident.
 
Ron recommended going around now that the brush is cut and trim/cut the smaller trees.
 
Board would like Arlan to find out from Melvin what has been done and what is left to do and also ask about the altercation so that it doesn’t happen again.
 
Ken asked about a leaning tree on Rte. 53 by Bernice LaPorte’s house.  It is leaning east to west and is really Green Mountain Power’s responsibility.  Ken will get the pole number closest to tree and Diane will call GMP.
 
Fern Lake Road Washout
 
Julie shared pictures of a washout on Fern Lake Road, this side of Ray Rheaume’s.  Whenever it rains it’s washing out the side and taking out part of the road. 
 
Tom mentioned that what would work well for that problem is ground up tar.  Arlan will get some ground up tar and fix the spot. 
 
Julie received compliments on Arlan’s work on Autumn Trail.
 
Cemetery Committee:  None
 
Zoning:  None
 
CORRESPONDENCE
 
VT Sun Request:
 
Vermont Sun is requesting an approval letter from the Town of Leicester for their 2014 Triathlon Events.
 
Diane will write a letter of neither approval nor denial and voice the continued concerns for both participants and residents.
 
Dog Concern:
 
Julie got a call from Porter Hospital that someone had been bit by their own dog and the hospital didn’t have any information; nor did they have any documentation.  They notified her a week later.  Julie asked Paul to check into it.  She was bit by some random dog.
 
Julie’s concern is no proof of rabies.  How would you investigate with no information?
 
Judicial Bureau Complaint:
 
Joseph Nicholson came in the office because he received a letter that he had a hearing in court because there was a complaint from the Town of Leicester.  The Judicial Bureau is following up on a September 2000 complaint for two unregistered dogs.  He did not go to his scheduled court hearing.  So now, he has to go to criminal court, January 13, 2014 for a $50 fine for not registering his dogs thirteen years ago.
 
Julie will call Mr. Nicholson and explain he can pay the Town directly and avoid all legal matters and the Town will notify the Judicial Bureau that it’s been paid.
 
NEW BUSINESS
 
Brandon Fire Chief Contract:
 
Roman Wdowiak, Chief of Brandon Fire Department came to talk about Leicester’s contract that expires December 13, 2013.  He provided handouts to the Board showing the number of fire calls to Leicester.  The data shows calls to Leicester are on the average of about 16% of the total calls responded to by the BFD.  The current fire protection agreement for Leicester is $20,000 per year.  The Chief is not sure how this figure came about. 
 
The Chief provided some significant talking points about major expenditures facing BFD in the next five years; other major operating expenses, and increases in insurance costs.
 
The new proposed fire protection agreement with Leicester is $32,000.  Brandon would like to continue to serve Leicester.
 
Diane asked if a two year contract would be an option; as in the past.  The Chief feels confident that a two year contract would not be a problem.
 
Ken asked about a possible contract going out six years, since major expenses will have been made in the next few years.  The Chief is willing to take that proposal back to the board and see where they are willing to go.
 
The Chief answered questions from the Board and others.  Questions came up about the massive size of new trucks not being able to fit on certain roads and driveways.  They are getting rid of their smaller trucks.
 
Julie asked how they will let citizens know about the size of their trucks.  Julie recommended the Addison Independent, The Reporter, and Rutland Herald.  The Chief will put notices in the paper and talk to Board about a mailing.  Julie will give the Chief the LDFLA email address.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to continue with the Brandon Fire Department for a fire protection agreement extended up to six years.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
The Chief is meeting tomorrow with the Prudential Board and he will get back to Julie to give information to the Board.  He will give the Board a report for the Town Report.
 
 
 
BLSG Update:
 
Julie reported and shared the latest minutes of the Board.  Gary Meffee and Marion Bauer are leaving the Board.  They have appointed Gary Gibbs the new Chair and Brad Ramsey the Vice Chair and someone else the Secretary.  When they are going to meet is up to the new Chair.  There are no scheduled meetings.  They approved that the Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and Bookkeeper can all sign checks.  Julie was uncomfortable with that and explained that you lose all the checks and balances because that leaves no one to reconcile the account.  There is the open issue of the professional audit. 
 
Julie doesn’t think Brad Lawes was at the meeting.  She will ask Brad if he is attending BLSG meetings.  Our representatives were here and there was no communication.  Julie suggested we invite Gary Gibbs to one of the Selectboard meetings.
 
The Board felt they should give them a little time before inviting them to one of their meetings.
 
Timber Harvest Tour:
 
The Timber Harvest Tour is at the Farwell Memorial Forest, Leicester, Friday, November 22nd, at 8:00 a.m., rain or shine.
 
OLD BUSINESS
 
LaRose Surveys & Maps:
 
Kevin and Ron LaRose came to explain in more detail what their proposal of $8,200 included. Ron explained that they are a land surveying business and do septic designs.  They prepare tax maps for Bristol and New Haven.  They work by the hour.
 
This project is like starting from scratch.  There is concern that there are properties not on the tax map right now.  There may be some unknown properties in town.  It is quite an undertaking.
 
They will try to work around the town’s budget.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to award the work to LaRose Surveys, with the understanding $2,000 this year, $4,000 in 2014 budget, $4,000 in 2015 budget.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
LaRose will provide a revised document for Diane to sign on behalf of the Board.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to approve the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Listers’ Errors and Omissions:
 
There is a change in current use with the State and a correction with Comcast.  The Board members all signed the document.
 
Senior Center Building Needs:
 
Ron will contact Mr. Munger for receipts and ask when he will be finished.
 
LIMITED PUBLIC OPINION: None
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to go into Executive Session at 8:30 p.m. for the purpose of discussing personnel.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to come out of Executive Session at 8:45 p.m., no action taken.
 
Motion by Ken and second by Diane to adjourn at 8:45 p.m.
 
Next Meeting December 2, 2013.
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary