Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
 
Monday, March 18, 2013
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, Ken Young
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Kate Briggs, Gary Gibbs, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
 
Review of Agenda:
 
Approval of March 7, 2013 Minutes:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve minutes of March 7, 2013 with two minor edits: spelling of NEMRIC to NEMRC and 2nd paragraph under Filling Lister Vacancy should read: Julie reported the listers need to have everything assessed and all the changes to the properties as of April 1st in order to lodge the grand list.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Review/Authorization to pay bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer
 
Julie requested approval of the Board to get a tax anticipation loan.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to authorize Treasurer to take out a tax anticipation loan on behalf of the town.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Julie reported that she has not received the flag from Willem.
 
Julie reported she has not heard from Tom Roberts; as far as meeting for the financial plan. 
 
Julie talked with Jim Barlow about borrowing money and read the Statute aloud.  If you borrow over five years, no matter how you do it, you have to have a meeting.  If you borrow within a year or less, you don’t.  If you borrow for 5 years or less, it can only be the things in 19 VSA 304(a) (3).  It sounds like it needs to be through the Municipal Equipment Loan Fund.  It does say “necessary” for the construction, maintenance or repair.  It’s only for highway things such as, tools, equipment and materials.  Julie reported that Jim Barlow explained that what is substantial in a big town may not be substantial in a small town.  There was further discussion about purchasing in the future.
 
Julie reported that the school is having a budget forum to listen to people’s concerns about the school budget on March 25th at the school and then they will finalize their budget.  April 8th is the informational meeting at the brick building at 7:00 p.m. and April 9th is for the vote at Town Office. 
 
They need to have a BCA Meeting before the April 1st meeting at 6:20 p.m.
 
 
 Zoning Administrator:
 
Kate reported that they are making progress with the zoning regulations.  PC would like input from the Selectboard.  The plan is not to make huge differences or changes, but definitions, modify some serious areas, clarity.
 
Kate wanted to talk about the school house behind Greg and Hannah’s farm.  They called her about demolishing it and Kate heard that it was one of the oldest school house buildings in Addison County. 
It’s 24x30 and part of historic Leicester.  Kate thinks it’s worth saving.  She thinks they could move it.  Kate has had people from the Preservation Trust come to look at it.  She wants the Selectboard to think about it.  Kate asked Ron if he was willing to move it to his property.  Ron would like to see the building before making any commitments.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
Meeting BLSG Representative:
 
Gary Gibbs introduced himself.  He was asked to be a Leicester representative to the BLSG Mosquito Board. He accepted.  He has an interest based on the potential of EEE and things like that.   His interest is making sure the district stays efficient and effective and meets what the town would like from their stand point.  Brad Ramsey is the other Leicester representative.  They are currently talking about finance and funding and how it will flush out for this season. There are concerns about the building and regulations on storage and handling of some of these products.  His opinion is; the best option is to larvicide as far as most for your cash goes; instead of spraying.  The conditions need to be right for spraying.  He is interested in hearing from the Board.
 
Ron asked if the entire town is sprayed.  Gary explained no, there is a hotline for residents to call and file a request to be sprayed.  They cannot spray the organic farms.  There has been some talk about spraying with a helicopter instead of plane. 
 
Primary issues to meet requirements are:  the building, storage, spillage, state requirements and regulations, enforcement. 
 
Brad stated there are only two districts in the state and it seemed to him that it would make more sense to have only one district.  He thinks having one plane or one helicopter and have it on demand would be best.
 
Gary thinks this district is the most organized.  The Lemon Fair District seems to be much more AdHoc. 
 
Julie mentioned that Lemon Fair actually gets reimbursement for a lot of their larviciding and BLSG doesn’t.
 
Julie mentioned that one of the concerns is that all of these other towns that are not part of BLSG are going to want in; such as Whiting, Sudbury and Pittsford asked last year.  It should be a concern for the town considering after Brandon, Salisbury and Leicester are footing the majority of the bill.  Pittsford had positive EEE in horses.  There is a lot of liability if you step outside the charter for that district.  BLSG is the leader in the state.
 
Gary wondered if there could be a state-wide run program.  He stated that he wouldn’t be surprised if we had EEE this year.  There was discussion about what products work on the EEE mosquito.
 
Kate shared her concern and is worried about West Nile and feels it is a huge health problem; as well as EEE.
 
Gary stated they are still looking for drivers.  They like to have a bull-pen of drivers.  You must keep your certification up.  There may be lapses. 
 
Brad shared some concerns about how they pay their drivers and feels they should have some kind of incentive to get people involved.  There is a lot of inconsistency with the plane or helicopter.  A day can change everything for effective spraying.
 
Gary will investigate ownership of both the plane and the helicopter.  He will find out about funding and the impact on the district.  He will report back.
 
Town Foreman:
 
Arlan reviewed the weight permits and gave them to Brad for signature.
 
Arlan looked at culvert above the Town Shed and reported it is 30” and 42’ long.  There is so much water going through it, he couldn’t get a good look.  He will need to wait until the water goes down to see if the culvert is sound.
 
Arlan stated that they need to clean up blow down on Rt.53 and Hooker Road.
 
Arlan will contact the Vermont Railway about raising up crossing where it gets washed out.
 
Health Officer:  None
 
Cemetery Committee:   None
 
Motion made by Tom and second by Ron to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
ACSWD Representative Appointment:
 
Chair will complete the paperwork for Richard Reed to be Leicester’s representative on behalf of the town.
 
Town Service Officer Appointment:
 
Chair will complete paperwork for Kathy Eastwood for Leicester’s Town Service Officer.  The paperwork requires three signatures.  Tom and Ron signed with Chair.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to allow Chair to complete paperwork on behalf of the town for the ACSWD representative and Town Service Officer.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Contract Sheriff’s Department:
 
Contract was signed with dates of coverage as Saturday, May 25, 2013 – Saturday, September 7, 2013, maintain 40 hours per month.
 
Front Porch Forum:
 
Diane shared information of on-line communication for municipal entities.  It allows individuals to sign in on a secure web-site.  There is a one-time start up fee of $2,500.  If more than one town went in at one time, the start up fee would be reduced.
 
Julie asked who monitors the web-site.  Why pay for that software versus a Face book page for free?  There are all sorts of open records laws.
 
No interest from the Board.  Diane will pass the message on of “thanks but no thanks”.
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
Lister Vacancy Update:
 
Chair placed an ad for lister.  Tom thinks it needs to say it is a paid position.   It is $12.00 an hour, part time 3 hours, Wednesday mornings.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to go into Executive Session at 7:55 p.m. to discuss pending legal action.  All in favor.  So approved. 
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to come out of Executive Session at 8:25 p.m.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
 Motion by Brad and second by Ken to authorize Julie to contact legal counsel for guidance.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Motion by Ken and second by Brad to adjourn at 8:26 p.m.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary