Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 05-20-19

 
Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 20, 2019
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present:Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes, John Rouse
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda: Carroll, Boe & Pell, PC Letter, Animal Control Officer, Equipment, DRB
 
Approval of May 6, 2019 minutes:
 
Motion by Tom, second by Ron, to approve minutes of May 6, 2019 as written. 3 in favor and 2 abstentions (Lawes & Rouse).   So, approved.
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Ron, second by John, authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor. So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie explained the bills and the loan paperwork will be at the next meeting.
 
Julie asked about the magnets for the Animal Control Officer’s truck and the highway truck.
 
Board authorized Julie to purchase a 16x16 Animal Control Officer magnet.
 
There is a sign for the Town Shed door.  Diane will give another coat of paint on the shed door before Arlan puts the sign on.
 
Julie reported there is a bunch of garbage on the Mini Baker Trail head.  Julie has gotten a couple calls about it.  She sent an email to see if the Sheriff’s Department had investigated because there is a bunch more, new garbage.  Arlan said there is probably a one ton load now.  Julie reported it to Addison County Solid Waste.  Julie called the Forest Service and was told that it is federal land, they are aware of it; responsible for it, and they are investigating and will take care of it.  There is concern about animals coming in.
 
People are still putting out Green Up bags days after Green Up was over.
 
Julie reported that Leicester did not get the paving grant.
 
Julie reported that the new Zoning Administrator has been in a couple times and working with people.  Seems to be doing fine.
 
Listers have lodged the grand list.  Grievances will be heard June 4th.
 
Reappraisals will be starting around July 1st.
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported they may start on Hooker Road. They have done some ditching south of where they are going to do some work.
 
Arlan wants Gary to look at Ferson Road so they know exactly what they need to do before paving.
 
A culvert needs to be changed on Maple Run Road near the town line.  Tom thinks there is another one; as well.  
 
Arlan will investigate and report back at next meeting.
 
Arlan brought a brand new Winmill loader for the Board to look at.  It’s a 4 cylinder instead of a 6 cylinder, 131 hp., 2.5 yard bucket.  Approximately $131,500.  The seller said Arlan could use it a little for 10-15 hours and report back.
 
Arlan stated at some point, they will have to do something.  Tom recommends they continue to look around.  Brad suggested looking around at different makes and models and try them out.
 
There is $180,000 in the equipment fund.  
 
There was discussion about financing or not financing when the time comes to purchase.
 
Julie will do some research and report back.
 
Health Officer:
 
Diane and Chree Perkins are going tomorrow to investigate a rental complaint on Lake Dunmore Road.
 
Cemetery Committee:
 
Tom reported he got one load of blue stone leveled out and Arlan has another load that Tom hopes to get done this week.
 
DRB:
 
Discussion with Sandy about her responsibilities as Secretary of the Board.
 
Weight PermitsOne weight permit was approved.
 
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
Annual Letter for Municipal Representation:
 
Board received the annual letter from Carroll, Boe & Pell with their schedule of billing.  Starting July 1st, if you get Jim, Constance or Kathleen it will be $210 per hour and Kevin Kite will be $185 per hour.
 
Diane signed the acknowledgement of receipt.
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
Animal Control Officer:
 
John provided a report about an animal cruelty complaint he received.  John and Tom went out to see the animal.  John shared photos with the Board.  A vet went out; as well.  John will go back out with the vet this week.  The Humane Society is also involved.
 
John provided a written report for the record with dates and times and persons involved to the Board.
 
John also provided information about a dog bite complaint.
 
Julie has a ticket book for John, Animal Control Officer.  Julie will provide an updated delinquent dog license list for John.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to make John Rouse, Animal Control Office our Designated Issuing Municipal Official per our Dog Ordinance adopted June 15, 1988.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
Town Shed:
 
LIMITED PUBLIC OPINION:  
 
EXECUTIVE SESSION:
 
 
Motion by John, to adjourn at 7:50 p.m.  
 
Next meeting:  June 3, 2019 
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary