Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 5-6-19

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 6, 2019
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske
Members Absent:  Brad Lawes, John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Greg Bernhardt, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Add Catering Permit, DRB
Approval of April 15, 2019 minutes:
Motion by Tom, second by Ron, to approve minutes of April 15, 2019 as written. All in favor.   So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Tom, second by Ron, authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor. So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie explained that next meeting there will be more bills because there will be the MRGP permit and then the State Education fee.
Julie has the loan paperwork ready to bring to the bank.  Julie hopes to have it ready for the Board’s signature at the next meeting.
Julie explained she looked into the credit card for Tractor Supply, but because it requires Julie to personally secure the card, she decided against their credit card.
Lake Sunapee has a Municipal Visa Credit Card they are offering with no fees and the municipality secures it; not one person. She intends to get one for the office, one for Arlan and one for Scott.  
Motion by Ron and second by Tom to authorize Julie to act on behalf of the town to get three credit cards. One $5,000 card for Julie for the office, and two for $1,500 for Arlan and Scott.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Julie presented the Financial Management Questionnaire from the State Auditors to the Board and Diane signed the bottom.
Julie explained that the town has a restricted fund for records restoration.  Julie would like authorization to use money from the fund for microfilming and digitizing records.
Goodway Documents now has a place in Brandon where they microfilm books.  They scanned the maps for the town and Julie was satisfied with their work.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to authorize Julie to spend money out of the restricted funds for records restoration for the purpose of microfilming and digitizing land records. All in favor.  So, approved.
Julie presented a Catering Permit to the Board for Clerk to sign for a college graduation party on the lake on Indian Trail.  Café Provence is catering it and also providing alcohol. 
Board authorized Julie to sign on the town’s behalf. 
Regional Planning Appointments:  Diane is appointing herself as delegate to the Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC) for one more year.  Diane assigned herself as Chair on the full committee for one more year.  Diane also appointed Alexis Caswell as the second appointment.  Diane will confirm with her.
Julie reported that Anna is done with her temporary appointment as Zoning Administrator.  She met with Kris and went over all of the things going on.  He will work with people through phone and email.
Road Foreman:
Tom discussed whether Maple Run Road was a Class 2 or Class 3 road and the paving grant.  Julie looked at the maps and found that it was a Class 2 on all her maps.  Tom saw state maps where it indicated it was a Class 3. It could affect the paving grant. Leicester/Whiting Road and Lake Dunmore Road are Class 2 roads.  Tom stated that Class 3 roads cannot get a paving grant.
Arlan talked with GMP about putting a light on Jenna Lane.  He said they would have to put in a pole.
Tom suggested talking with the citizens on Jenna Lane, out of courtesy, to see if there are any objections.  Arlan will talk with them.
Arlan mentioned, that if it dries out, he would like to start working on Hooker Road.  He was thinking about getting Richard LaPorte for a couple days, if he needs help.  Arlan will do as much as he can, but if he needs help, he would use Richard.
Board approved.  Richard needs to come see Julie for paperwork.
Tom reported that Donna Pidgeon does not want to be on the Cemetery Committee or the Sexton.
Arlan brought one load of blue stone.  Tom asked Arlan to bring another load.
Tom stated that he’s talking to a couple people about cleaning stones.
Weight Permits:
Dumping Complaint:
Captain Brent Newman investigated a dumping complaint. Julie does not know if it got cleaned up or not on Green Up Day.  Someone was throwing garbage (tires) out on Hooker Road and Rodger’s Road in Salisbury. Diane will follow up and check with Lem.
Frederick’s/Maroney Letter:
Julie sent letter to them stating the town has no plans to use pesticides. 
Suki wrote letter to ask to be notified if town is going to use pesticides.  Diane read Suki’s letter aloud.
If the Board plans to do anything, they will let Julie know, so she can notify Suki if there is a change.
Diane mentioned a flyer for a VTrans Bike & Pedestrian Program.
Thursday, Arlan and Diane are going to be at the Regional Planning Round Table to talk about the use of the App and the support from Regional Planning and; is the Capital Plan going to be useful going forward.
Update: OVUU District News:  
Greg Bernhardt of the OVUU Board apologized for not making the last meeting.   The Planning Task Force is about a year and a half in now.  They hosted a community input meeting on April 29th. The initial plan elements outline solutions for the next 2-5-10 years to account for triggers that may impact change; such as, declining enrollment, legislation, facilities, and maintenance. He is trying to get community involvement and meet with each town’s selectboard. 
They are looking at 30% decrease in district and still looking to have high quality education, equitable, effective costs.
They are looking at every building and future costs.
The big issue is; Neshobe School is at capacity. The community is not wanting to spend money to make it bigger.  Leicester currently has the most capacity.
Julie shared strong concerns about needing to know ahead of time if OVUU is looking at closing Leicester School.  The town needs to know for budgeting purposes. The meetings need to include the towns that will be affected.
Greg stated he would keep Leicester informed.
Sandy shared her concerns about doing the Findings of Fact for the DRB.  
Sandy will send them an email outlining what she is willing to do in the future.
Review Dog Ordinance:
Julie stated that she thinks the only issue with the dog ordinance is; we are not enforcing it.
Table Dog Ordinance until next meeting when John is here.
Old Jerusalem Road Culvert/Bridge:
Jim Carroll marked up the copy of the Finance and Maintenance Agreement with redlines and sent it to Carolyn.  Now their legal is reviewing the redline copy with notes in blue.  
The minute the Board signs the Conceptual Plans, the town is in.  Unless the estimate goes up more than 50%, the town cannot get out.  Accepting the plans, changes the status and financial risk.
Julie will send an email to Carolyn asking for a breakdown of the cost estimate of 1.6 million and let them know the names are not correct.  
Storm Windows: Senior Center – Next Steps:
Ron stated they need to do the painting first. It’s too big a job for one person.
Tom mentioned using two independent contractors; and someone needs to be certified for lead paint.
Ron can put it together.
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom, to adjourn at 8:07 p.m.  
Next meeting:  May 20, 2019 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary