Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 11-04-19

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, November 4, 2019
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Tom Barker, John Rouse, Ron Fiske
Members Absent:  Diane Benware, Brad Lawes
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Scott Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Add a brief Executive Session to discuss possible litigation.
Update on Delorm Road Traffic Issues:
Moved public opinion and update on Delorm Road traffic issues to beginning of meeting.  
Scott Pidgeon shared a few concerns he had about the letter that Gary Dupoise was given about Delorm Road.  Scott felt that it made him, who works for Gary, and the other drivers feel like fools; when there is not an issue there.  He stated that he has hauled thousands of loads down that road and never had an issue.  Now, all of a sudden, one guy from Brandon is coming in and saying a truck can’t meet a school bus.  Scott stated that on Tuesday, his father got a call that a truck on Delorm Road had almost hit a pedestrian.  Scott stated that he had hauled winter sand all day and he was going back and forth every fifteen or twenty minutes and never saw a pedestrian.
The Board read an anonymous email and shared the email with Scott.
Julie explained that after a previous meeting, the Board decided to send letters to the farmers and to the pit.  The intent of the letter was to say that everyone, not just the truckers, should follow the rules of the road.
Scott said the letter made him frustrated and angry.  He has driven on that road for twenty-five years and he felt the letter said; they basically don’t know how to drive.
Tom explained that was not the intent of the letter.  Julie said that; as well.
Scott explained that all summer long the Brandon cops have been there, the DMV has been there, Mark Stacy has been there.  There was no problem.  He thinks he knows who wrote the anonymous email.  He feels the Board should adopt a policy about anonymous complaints.  Other towns disregard a complaint that doesn’t have a name on it.
Tom explained that the people were not anonymous when the letters were written.  There were at least six people at the meeting that night.  Tom also explained that whenever and however these complaints come in, the Board must look at them.
Julie responded that in addition to the anonymous email, they have had a complaint from the bus driver, she received complaint letters from a handful of residents on Delorm and Ferson Roads; which was a form letter that was signed and sent in.
The Sheriff reported that when they put up the tracker, the trucks were not the ones speeding.
Scott shared that he is concerned about his livelihood.
Arlan wondered why all the long bus drivers haven’t complained, but the driver with the little bus, complains.
Julie explained that the intent of the letter was to say, that these are the complaints we have been getting and we ask that all drivers follow the laws of the road.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to adopt a policy that the Board will not respond to anonymous, unsigned complaints.  The Clerk will respond to each complainant stating that the Board’s policy is that the Town will not accept anonymous, unsigned complaints and urge them to contact one of the Board members.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Approval of October 21, 2019 minutes:
Motion by Tom, second by Ron, to approve minutes of October 21, 2019 as written. All in favor.  So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John, second by Ron, authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that he hauled all the sand and he probably needs a few more loads of salt.  
Arlan stated he would like to try a John Deere loader from NorTrac in Burlington.
Board agreed to allow Arlan to get the loader down here to try out.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that the taxes continue to come in.   She paid $400,000 to OVUU, got the check of $372,000 to the State, paid all of the appropriations and assessments, paid off the loan.  
The first Sheriff’s invoice is in the bills.  They have set up their speed calculator and using it on Hooker Road, Delorm Road, Shackett Road.  Lots of speeding.  Hoping the sheriff’s presence will help.
The Sheriff helped out with a health concern complaint that seemed concerning and confrontational.
He is also looking over a garbage complaint.  We don’t get charged for these complaints.
Health Officer:
Animal Control Officer:
Cemetery Committee:
Weight Permits None
Old Jerusalem Road Culvert Update:
Julie reported there is an email from Carolyn about the test pits.  Tom said it was in the paper that they had found some tool artifact. Carolyn said she is going to check with the archeological people.  Carolyn said they are still moving forward.
Updates on Senior Center Work:
Tom reported he met with Burnett.  Burnett came down and looked at the entire building.  Tom gave an update.  Burnett will get back to Board by Wednesday with a quote.  Tom said structurally, there is a lot of work needed.  Tom feels the estimate will come in much higher than the Board originally talked about.  
Town Shed:
Arlan reported that the insurance agent from VLCT came down.  He said they need an aluminum ladder to replace the wooden ladder.  They also need a cover for the circuit breaker.  The batteries in the exit sign need to be replaced.
Julie reported the insurance agent will write the town a letter.  He was happy and said that there were only a few minor things.  He said the town’s risk was pretty low and town should get a discount on rates because they have no claims.
Motion by Tom and second by John to go into a brief executive session to discuss possible litigation at 7:19 p.m.
Motion by John second by Ron to come out of executive session at 7:30 p.m.  No action taken.
Motion by Ron to adjourn at 7:30 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, November 18, 2019 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary