Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 7-1-19

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, July 1, 2019
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present:Diane Benware, Tom Barker, John Rouse, Ron Fiske
 
Members Absent:Brad Lawes
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda: Add Glebe Lease Lands under Correspondence and Old Jerusalem Road 
 
Approval of June 17, 2019 minutes:
 
Motion by John, second by Ron, to approve minutes of June 17, 2019 as written. All in favor.   So, approved.
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Tom, second by Ron, authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor. So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported that they have been working on ditching on Hooker Road.  Arlan needs to put in a culvert on Hooker Road either Wednesday or Friday and needs to close the road for a few hours.  Board didn’t feel it was a problem if proper signage was put on both ends.
 
Ron reported the leaning trees need to come out because they are causing the bank to cave in on Old Jerusalem Road.  There are four or five trees to remove.  
 
Arlan and Scott will take care of the trees.
 
There was discussion about the future needs of the road and possible Regional Planning grant for engineer studies. Diane will follow up on possible grant.
 
Tom recommended getting Alan May of Better Back Roads to come down and look at it.  Diane will reach out to Alan.
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported that she is re-doing 911 addresses for  Cove Point and Dunmore Acres.  They will all be changing before tax bills go out around the beginning of August.
Julie sent an email to Jim Carroll about the VTrans document for the bridge.  She hasn’t heard back from anyone.
 
The Milfoil Grant was approved, but is a lot less than they had anticipated.  She hasn’t received the money to date.
 
Julie presented the Board with the Appendix update of the personnel policy on credit cards.
 
Julie got a call about an old decomposed car at Cove Point on the hill next to Holly Lane.  They are concerned that perhaps something may leach into the lake or be a health issue.  It is on private land.  John will stop by and look at it and report back.
 
Julie asked John about the cow complaint. There was confusion about where the cow was located.  Someone from the Humane Society has been concerned about it and has been in touch with John.
 
Julie reported about the tax map issues.  Nothing has been updated.  She has quoted out to a few places that do maps locally.  She really likes the maps that Brandon and Whiting have had done by Russell Graphics.  Russell Graphics update once a year.  The maps are beautiful.  She shared a couple with the Board for review.  There would be an initial payment and an annual update.  The initial payment would be $4,375 and the annual update would be $1,700.  There is $3,500 in the budget this year.
 
Motion by Tom and second by John to incur the extra $800 beyond the budget and authorize Julie to inquire with Russell Graphics to see if he can fit us in this year.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Julie will contact the other company if Russell Graphic can do it.
 
Julie reported that for the next two meetings, July 15 and August 5, she will not be at the meeting.  She will prepare everything in advance.
 
Health Officer:
 
Animal Control Officer:
 
John gave a brief report to the Board on the cow complaint and pony case.
 
Cemetery Committee:
 
Weight Permits None
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
Glebe Lands:
 
Diane reported that in the summer issue of the Vermont Leagues of Cities and Towns newsletter, there was an article about the fate of Glebe Lease Lands.
 
There was discussion about these lands.
 
Motion by John and second by Ron, the Board will vote in the affirmative to retain ownership of all of their lease lands in the Town of Leicester.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
 
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
Diane reported that she did her research about the historic white building.  Although the building is on the historic national register, there is no fine or negative action if the Board decides to put vinyl siding on the white building to take care of maintenance of the structure.
 
In the building reserve fund, there is $14,000 and there is $10,500 in the building repair fund.
 
Motion by Tom and second by John to authorize Tom and John to get vinyl siding prices from different companies for the next meeting.  3 yes and 1 abstention by Diane.  So, approved.
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
Town Shed:
 
LIMITED PUBLIC OPINION:  
 
EXECUTIVE SESSION:
 
 
Motion by Tom, to adjourn at 7:32 p.m.  
 
Next meeting:  July 15, 2019 
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary