Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 09-16-19

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, September 16, 2019
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, John Rouse
Members Absent:  Ron Fiske
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda: Add Garbage & Letters
Approval of September 3, 2019 minutes:
Motion by Tom, second by Brad, to approve minutes of September 3, 2019 as written.  3 in favor.  1 Abstention (John) So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John, second by Tom, authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor. So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Julie mentioned receipt of two letters that came in about Delorm Road and Ferson Road.  Letters were about the excessive amount of trucks on the roads and about speeders.  Julie explained that the people were not complaining about Leicester’s road crew.
Arlan explained that all the grindings from grinding up the roads was in the pit and the Act 250 permit for the pit expired.  The State wouldn’t renew it.  They had to quickly get rid of all the stuff in the pit. Arlan doesn’t think there will be any future issues with the trucking.
Motion by Tom and second by John to take no further action in regard to excessive number of trucks on Delorm and Ferson Roads as the pit has been closed.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
In regard to the speeding issue, Julie will call the State Police and let them know about the complaints and ask them to do a patrol. 
Marc Stacey, with Vergennes cruiser was seen on the road.  He can pick up anyone, anywhere, in Addison County because he is a State Traffic Safety Officer; being paid from a grant for Addison County.
Julie received paperwork from Cargill, American Rock Salt, and Apalachee Salt.  Arlan prefers to use Cargill, but there is no hurry so Board will wait to sign at a later date.
Diane reported that Lem finished mowing.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that the tax bills are out. Money is coming in.
Julie reported there was some concern of garbage and rodents and burning mattresses at a Leicester residence.  Diane will contact the Health Officer and go with her for a site visit.
Health Officer:
Animal Control Officer:
Cemetery Committee:
Tom received a call about a purchase of two burial plots.  Tom will go with them to pick out two.  If they cannot make the office hours, they will mail a check.
Weight Permits None
Conference: September 20that 12:30 p.m., Regional Planning is offering an Emergency Preparedness Workshop at the Waybury Inn.
Conference: October 31stat 8:00 a.m. the State Government is offering a Municipal Day at the ANR Regional Office, 88 Merchants Row, Rutland.
Site Visit for Next Municipal Roads General Permit Grant Work:
Diane put this on the agenda so Arlan will think about where they need to put their attention next.  Arlan should call Mike Winslow and take a picture.  It needs to be done sometime between now and the end of October.
Diane reported that tomorrow, September 17that 6:00 p.m. is the Republican Caucus at the Senior Center.
Tuesday, September 24that 7:30 p.m. is the Democratic Caucus at Joseph Watson’s house on Fern Lake Road.
Old Jerusalem Road Culvert Finance & Maintenance Agreement:
Carolyn Carlson-Cota got back to Julie late today about the four questions she asked.  Julie read the questions and read Carolyn’s emailed answers.
Motion by Tom and second by John authorizing Chair to sign the Culvert Finance & Maintenance Agreement.  All in favor. So, approved.
Brad asked if anyone had an update on the Class I & Class II Wetlands.  Julie stated they are going back to determine what landowners want to participate. They have not contacted Julie to date.
Diane reported that they are looking at the Cornwall swamp as the core of the proposal and Mary Dodge wants to contact all the people that would be on the periphery of it, in person, to see how they feel about it.  Then they are thinking about contacting the people that abut the Cornwall swamp.  The landowners that would actually be affected. Possibly, also contacting people around Whiting swamp and Bond Island.  They are trying to figure out who the willing landowners might be.
Updates on Senior Center Work:
Tom and John had not heard back from Clover Leaf or Ron Stevers.  Tom and John will call them again tomorrow for an update.
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:15 p.m.  
Next meeting:  Monday, October 7, 2019 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary