Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 07-26-2021

 Minutes of Joint Meeting of the Leicester Selectboard and DRB
                                                            Leicester Town Office
                                                            Monday July 26, 2021
                                                                         6:30 p.m.
Present: for the DRB: Donna Swinington, Jeff McDonough, Bill Shouldice, Jay Michael
For the Selectboard: John Rouse, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Chair Diane Benware
Meeting called to order at 6:30 pm. By Selectboard Chair Diane Benware
Chair Benware welcomed all present and asked if introductions were necessary.
The agenda was reviewed.
Pledge of Allegiance
Review Selectboard Expectations of the DRB
Clarifying roles of DRB members
Moving Forward
Chair informed those present that Hannah Sessions has resigned as alternate and Suki Fredericks has resigned as a DRB member.  Both have been thanked for their service.
Chair indicated members of both boards should be trying to find replacements.
An ad will be placed, seeking a regular member and an alternate to fill open positions.
Candidates should contact Selectboard Chair Benware.
Chair read proposed wording for ad seeking clerical support for the DRB.
Discussion about appropriate, appealing rate to be offered to candidates.
Candidates will be interviewed by members of both boards.
Jeff began the conversation by saying that all DRB members are volunteers and no one is interested in acting as the minute taker or clerk.
John suggested that, perhaps the Town Clerk could do a little of the work, the DRB might help and maybe the Selectboard could help, going forward.  Brad asked if Selectboard might pay Julie to do some of the clerical work.  Chair responded that Julie wishes to maintain a distance from each board and would likely not be interested in being paid for the clerical work.
Chair Benware distributed a packet of sample documents, to provide DRB with models of documents to use in the future.
Jay read the application for the school permit, at the Chair’s request, and suggested that we ‘need to get over the hump” posed by said permit application. Chair reiterated Keith’s offer to assist with Findings of Fact and Conclusion, that Julie offered, for this permit only, to do the clerical work outside of the actual meeting, and Chair offered her assistance to make the permit hearing happen.
Bill made the motion, Donna the second, to name Jeff as Temporary Chair and Jay as Temporary Secretary. Motion passed unanimously.
Jeff shared that the ZA attends all meetings in other towns and wondered if that could be the case here. Tom made the motion, Brad the second, to have Keith attend DRB meetings; passed unanimously.
DRB members agreed to conduct a hearing on Aug. 17, at 6:00 p.m.,  to hear the school’s request for a modular classroom.  Warning was finalized and signed.  Jeff will create meeting agenda, email it to Jay, who will email it to Julie. Jeff and Jay would like Keith to attend the Aug 17 meeting. Jay will take minutes for the meeting and Keith will assist with Findings of Fact and Conclusion.  Julie will prepare and mail pre and post meeting documents.
Jeff signed the understanding for the key to the building.
Tom suggested contacting Ann Scheck to see if she might be interested in serving as DRB Clerk, Jeff will speak to her.
Compensation for secretary/clerk was discussed.
Motion to adjourn at 7:52 pm by Tom, second by Jeff and Ron.
Meeting adjourned at 7:52 pm.
Respectfully submitted:
Diane Benware