Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

 Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes


Monday, December 21, 2009




** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Bob Oliver, Ken Young


Others Present:   Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Bucky Shackett, Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 


Agenda Review:  Agenda reviewed.


Review and Sign Orders for Bill Payment:


Bills making their rounds for signatures.


Approve Minutes of December 7, 2009:


Motion by Ron to approve minutes of December 7, 2009 as written.   Second by Tom.  All in favor.  So approved.


Reports from Town Officials & Committees: 


Town Clerk:


Julie reported that delinquents were now under $100,000, and she has another $2,000 that has been put in Beth’s box.


To try to avoid an extra meeting for budget purposes, Julie prepared a list for Board’s approval of money to pay or transfer before the end of the year.

·         Service calls

·         Clerk fees for December

·         Payroll (auditors, listers)

·         Delinquent Tax Collector

·         Remaining December bills

·         Otter Valley Tax Payment

·         Richard Humiston  Year End

·         Milfoil Grant Check to turn around to Fern Lake Association

·         Appropriate FEMA money

·         Sheriff’s Patrol (excess funds) to Equipment Fund

·         Any other things – 3 Board Signatures


Julie had questions about excess funds because there are overage in other areas. 


Diane stated that we consider the $2,000 budgeted in the Sheriff’s Department and anything beyond that would be transferred into the restricted Equipment Fund.


Diane reported that traditionally the only two things that we move at the end of the year is the reappraisal money and if there was any money for Sheriff’s patrol, we moved that.  We didn’t take overages and put them someplace else.


The FEMA money needs to be set aside and transferred.  Julie, Arlan and Diane need to get together and discuss these funds.  Some of this money needs to reimburse the Town for work already done.  The remainder of the money needs to be protected for work that needs to be finished later.


Motions by Tom to approve Treasurer take the appropriate action to pay and/or move funds and in the event items weren’t covered on the list, three board members would come in to approve payment.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.


Julie asked about the Cemetery Fund and about $500 that was taken out of the restricted fund early in the year to pay Gus Letourneau for brush cutting.  Should that $500 be part of the budget and should it not have come out of the restricted fund?


Motion by Ken to authorize Treasurer to transfer $500 from the General Fund and put it back into the Cemetery Restricted Fund.   Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.


Julie is concerned that perhaps the common level of appraisal of 99% is incorrect.  She’s not sure whose responsibility it is to petition the Department of Taxes that we don’t agree.  Julie would like to know who to talk to.  It would be good to get the list from them.   Some things don’t make sense.


Julie reported the auditors have been in working.


Listers:  No Report


Zoning Administrator:  No Report


Road Foreman:  No Report


Cemetery Committee:


Tom reported that there was nothing to report.






New Business:


Board of Health Issue:


Bucky reported on a rental unit that he tested the water and it didn’t pass.  The landlord treated it with bleach and a week or two later Bucky tested it and it still didn’t pass.  The water comes from the main house which Bucky also tested and it also didn’t pass. 


It is the landlord’s responsibility.  The lady is buying her water.  Bucky recommended water technicians that understand the problem.


Discussion on other alternatives to bleach.  Bleach will get up high but doesn’t penetrate.  It will disinfect the casing.  Ultraviolet light is expensive.  There are chlorine tablets, or pure chlorine crystals called shock it.


Bucky will contact the landlord about the crystals that work better than bleach. 


Fire Protection:  BFD:


Bob Kilpeck presented a new agreement for two years 2010/2011 at $20,000 per year instead of on an annual basis.  In June 2011 the Prudential Board will review the agreement and by August 2011 they would be able to tell Leicester Selectboard what the proposed agreement numbers would be for 2012.   Payment dates remain the same.   The Brandon Prudential Board has signed the agreement in anticipation the Board would be happy with the agreement.  It is a $284.38 increase from last year.


Julie shared her email address with Bob.  He will email Julie when there has been a fire call.  This would be very helpful.


Motion by Tom to accept BFD’s offer of $20,000 for fire coverage per year for 2010/2011 paid in four installments per year.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.


Let the record show the Selectboard and Clerk signed the agreement.


Preparing the 2010 budget:


Discussion whether Sandy’s services were needed for all the budget meetings in January.  January 4 and January 18 are the normal meetings, and January 11 and January 25 are the extra budget meetings.  The Board was in agreement that they would like Sandy to attend all January meetings.


Discussion on budget procedures.


Sealing 2008 Grand List:


Cecile had called Julie and reported that the Listers have verified to the best of their knowledge that there are no appeals pending for the 2008 Grant List and they are asking the Board to sign indicating that it will be sealed.


Let the record show that the certificate with no appeal or suit pending is making its round for signatures.  All board members signed 2008 Grant List.


Old Business:




Mr. Jozwiak called Diane with an offer of $4,000 as is for the grader.  He found a missing part for the grader.


Bucky asked what the purpose of selling the grader was.  Bucky thought convenience of having our own grader was an important factor.  There was discussion of the history of the grader.


The Board felt they could not sell grader for $4,000.


Ancient Roads:


Need to set a public hearing within 45 days of February 10, 2010.  Documented Class 4 Roads.  There are 68 property owners.  Some roads should be given up and some should be kept. 


Notice of public hearing needs to be sent to all property owners with a copy of map.  Julie will work on list with addresses for envelopes and copies of map.


The date chosen is February 8, 2010 at Town Meeting House at 6:00 p.m.


Public Opinion:  None


Executive Session:   None


Other Business:   None


Motion by Bob to adjourn at 8:32 p.m.  Second by Ken.  All in favor.  So approved.


Next meeting, Monday, January 4, 2010 at 7:00 p.m.


 Respectfully submitted,


Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary