Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes


Monday, May 4, 2009




** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present:  Diane Benware, Bob Oliver, Ken Young, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker


Others Present:   Arlan & Donna Pidgeon, Julie Delphia, John & Mary Hughes, Kate Briggs, Cecile Todd, Tim Johnson, Pete Fjeld,  Charles Johnson,  Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:31 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 


Agenda Review:  Agenda reviewed. 


Approve Minutes:


The minutes for April 20, 2009 meeting were reviewed.  Motion by Tom to approve minutes as written.  Seconded by Ken.  All in favor.  So approved.


Review and Sign Orders for Payment:


Bills making their rounds. 


Weight Permits:


Arlan reviewed weight permits and approved.  There are two for Bob to sign.  Let the record show that Bob is signing permits.


Reports from Town Officials & Committees: 




Julie reported that she has registered 174 dogs total through the end of April.  There were a few more on Friday.  She has sent the list to Brian Webb.  A notice is posted on the door, as well as, the countertop to remind people.


Diane put an article in the paper reminding residents to register their dogs.


Road Foreman:


Arlan reported that they have a little more sweeping to do.  They worked on getting a beaver dam out in the afternoon.  They dug it out with the excavator.  They got three beavers, but not sure if there are any more.  Tom reported that there is another dam backed up on Ferson Rd.  The dam is on Ken’s land.  We need to break the dam and then trap the beaver out. 


Action:  Arlan will bring the excavator down to Ken’s property to break the dam.

Action:  Arlan will contact Kurt Kimball to trap the beaver.


Tom reported that between Jitter Johnson’s and Jane Scarborough’s there is a tall tree that needs to come down due to woodpecker damage.


Action:  Arlan will look at it.


Zoning Administrator:


Loving her job.  People are calling.  She is calling back. 


Green Up Day went very well.  Town looks great.  Real good participation.  There were about 40 people that came to the cookout, but lots more that participated.  Lem will try to get everything to solid waste today. 




Cecile noted that Tim is all signed up for the class.    


Cemetery Committee:


No report.


Delinquent Tax Collector:


Diane had a conversation a week ago with Beth Ripley.  Beth stated that she sent notices to those people who were two years or more in arrears that they needed to pay real soon or work out a payment arrangement or properties would go up for tax sale mid June.  She will keep the Board posted.


New Business:


Painting and Maintenance Needs:


Paul Francoeur had submitted an estimate of $6,058 for installing threshold, scraping, priming, painting and re-glazing windows.  $10,000 lump sum was put in the budget for expenses for the meeting house, town office and town hall.  Discussion whether to go with Mr. Francoeur’s estimate or go out to bid.  It was agreed that Paul does good work, has saved the Town money and he is a taxpayer.  The quote is five months old.


Motion by Ken to award the work for painting, scraping, priming the exterior of the Senior Center to Paul Francoeur for $6,058.  Seconded by Bob.


Action:  Bob will contact Paul to get it on Paul’s schedule.


Diane asked about the State highway aid.  Tom seemed to think we got 100% this last quarter.


John Hughes thinks the Board should come up with a number that if it’s below this number, we could accept the bid as is, if it’s more than that number, it must go out to bid.  I think it’s a good way to do business.


He thinks each branch should have a minimum number that they can spend for supplies, etc. without waiting to come before the Board.  They can submit the invoice at the next meeting.  He’s just looking for some consistency.  We should set it up as a well oiled operation.


With people being out of work, we might have more opportunities.


No action taken.  Chair stated they would take this under advisement.


Arlan had talked with Overhead Door of Rutland to replace the lower panel and tighten everything up on the big door at the Town Shed.


Liquor license for Leicester General Store to sign.  New people leasing with intention to own; Robin Jackson, Pam Thomas and Robin’s two children.  All certificates of seminar attendance are there.  Let the record show it was circulated for signatures.


Received a letter from Calvin Loven.  It was recommended to him that they do something around the senior center instead of the mulch that is there.  He recommends cleaning out the weeds and mulch that is there and put in a layer of clean ¾” to ½” stone, gray or white.  Estimate $225.00. Bob talked with Cal today and he is going to stop and look at it tomorrow.  Bob doesn’t see any reason to dig the mulch out.  


Action:  Bob will stop and look at it tomorrow and report back.


Old Business:


Grader update:


Diane placed an ad for bids to provide grader service to the Town of Leicester.  No bids were received.


Bob remembers three quotes from the last meeting.  One for $125, the other one a little less, the third one for $107 which included the driver.


Motion by Ken to hire Arlan’s grader to grade the roads at $90 hour and we pay operator at $17 hours starting June 1st and put the Town grader up for sale.  Arlan is responsible for the fuel, edges, maintenance of his own equipment.  These figures are good for this fiscal year.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.



Tim Johnson asked if this is a set contract.


Discussion about putting Town grader on Craig’s List.  Arlan volunteered Scott to do description and will ask $12,000 or best reasonable offer.  Arlan or Scott will be the contact person.  Scott has a digital camera to take a photo.


ZBA/PC Appointment:


Motion by Tom to appoint Tim Johnson and Peter Fjeld to the Zoning Board of Adjustment and Planning Commission.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.  One position is until 2010 and one is until 2011.  Julie will administer their oaths to them tonight as they have a hearing tomorrow night.


Public Opinion:


Bob commented on two things.  He had a taxpayer ask “why the hell aren’t you getting the grader fixed?” and another one asked “why the hell aren’t you taking care of your equipment?”



Motion by Ken to go into Executive Session to discuss pending legal action and Lister questions at 7:44 p.m.  Second by Ken.


Motion by Tom to come out of Executive Session at 8:10 p.m.  Second by Ron.

Motion by Tom to authorize the Listers to seek legal counsel regarding a property matter, and authorizing the Zoning Administrator to get further information regarding a zoning issue.  Second by Ron.  Passed unanimously.


Motion by Tom to go into Executive Session at 8:15 p.m. with Julie regarding pending legal action.  Second by Ron.  Motion by Tom to come out of Executive Session at 8:49 p.m. authorizing Julie to prepare a timeline and gather materials for a legal matter.  Second by Ken.  Passed unanimously.


Motion by Bob to adjourn at 8:50 p.m.  Second by Ken.  Pass unanimously.


Meeting adjourned at 8:50 p.m.


Next regularly scheduled meeting Monday, May 18, 2009, 6:30 p.m.



Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary