Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
 
Monday, April 2, 2012
 
*Unapproved*
 
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Ken Young, Brad Lawes
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, James Russo, Kate Briggs, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
 
Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed.  
 
Minutes of March 19 & March 23, 2012:
 
Motion by Tom to approve minutes of March 19, 2012 as written.  Second by Ken.   All in favor.  So approved.
 
Motion by Ron to approve minutes of March 23, 2012 as amended striking Bob Oliver’s name as member present and adding Brad Lawes.  Second by Tom.  1- Abstention (Diane) All others in favor.  So approved.
 
Arlan reviewed weight permits.
 
Review/Authorize Payment of Bills:
 
Bills making their rounds for signatures.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported that delinquents were at $72,200.
 
Julie has registered 199 dogs.  She has 67 that were registered last year and not yet registered this year.  She will mail out something to unregistered dog owners.
 
Julie reported that the board is coming off the White Building again.  Ron will check it out.
 
 
 
Zoning Administrator:
 
Kate reported that she received a phone call from Jim Foley representing a Leicester landowner.  He wanted to talk with Kate about what was Leicester’s zoning position on the force merger of preexisting small lots in common ownership.  Kate explained the history.  Towns have the option.  Our current zoning regulations say we do not do force merger. 
 
Kate told Jim Foley she would look into it.  She never knew of a case in Leicester where we had deemed a merger, but she would look into it.  Kate talked with Ron who felt she should talk to our Town attorney.  She had a brief conversation with Jim Carroll who thought they were merged. 
 
Kate is going to email Jim Foley and explain that based on her conversation with Jim Carroll, she thinks Jim’s client’s property was merged and therefore probably cannot separately convey one of these small lots. 
 
Kate has an incomplete zoning application essentially about some development on top of Hooker Road.  It is basically putting up a deck right next to the road.  Kate needs clarification from the Town about the town right of way as our zoning regulations are not clear.  The deck needs set back waivers.  He’s only going to be a few feet away from the road. 
 
The Board advises that the applicant cannot do that because it is in the Town right of way.  Kate will advise the applicant.  Discussion of safety and winter snow damage.
 
Kate and Diane will talk about Green Up.  Kate will call Lem and see if he could do it for $500 in budget.
 
Kate offered to do a final edit for language in the Town Plan after Planning Commission & Selectboard had reviewed and massaged it.
 
Claire had asked to move the date of the PC Meeting to Monday, April 9th.  Diane will contact Donna Swinington.
 
Everything needs to be done with the Town Plan by June 15th.
 
Lister:
 
Jim reported that they had a meeting last Wednesday to go over the list of exceptions.  The timeline:
  • Reappraisal to printer by 4/9
  • Pre-hearings: scheduling right now for 5/14 – 5/16
  • Mailing notices 5/7
  • Grievance Procedures 5/21
Jim said that they would print the labels at the Town Office.  Jim will call tomorrow and get particulars for Julie on where they are having them printed.  Julie explained that the Town uses Little Pressroom.
 
If property owners had the exterior of their homes reappraised, but did not have their interiors re-appraised, but nothing has changed, they will go by what is on the card.  Jim will be calling people to let them know.
 
Health Officer:
 
Jim was asked to do an investigation on illegal dumping activity on lower Bullock Road.  Jim called the State and was transferred through many different departments.  The last person gave him the steps and contacts.
 
Step 1:  Complaint Report & Pictures
Step 2:  Hand over to Enforcement Agent to investigate
Step 3:  If a violation is found, Agent will hand off to their attorney to prosecute
 
Jim went back to the scene as he was told to go. In looking around and taking some pictures, Jim found some identifying information; a couple prescription bottles, three syringes (2 capped/1 uncapped), two receipts to Liquor Store and Rite Aid.  Upon leaving, he found old carcasses and a new carcass of a coy dog.  He opened up a garbage bag and did find a name in the garbage bag.  He took a picture before he removed it out of the garbage bag. 
 
Gary Urich is the Enforcement Agent and has met with Jim.  Gary took everything and the names.  He will be making some phone calls to these people.  He will give dumpers three days to pick up their garbage.  He will put up some illegal dumping signs.  He did recommend that our Town Highway personnel should go and pick it up. 
 
Road Foreman:
 
Scott has done some grading, hauled a little gravel and leveled off rock behind the shed.  Scott swept some pavement today. 
 
Cemetery:
 
Tom talked with Donna and they didn’t think they needed to get the group together before April 12th to make the decision about cemetery work.  Donna was in agreement to accept Gus’s proposal for cemetery work.
 
Motion by Tom to accept proposal from Gus Letourneau to do the cemetery work for $500 paid from Cemetery Fund.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Julie will contact Gus.
 
Weight Permits:
 
Arlan said all the weight permits were ok.  All weight permits have been signed by Ken. 
 
Motion by Tom to approve bills.  Second by Brad.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
Dealing with Trash, Recycling:
 
Ken reported that Van Denton & Sons has taken over Humiston’s business as of May 1st.  Van wanted to know what if anything he needed to do with the Town before taking this over.  He couldn’t make the meeting tonight, but will be here at our April 16th meeting.
 
Ken mentioned that Julie had a suggestion that we may want to discuss employees.  Ken will recue himself as he is his first cousin, if appropriate.
 
Tom would like to get the key back from Humiston’s employees and see if Denton will need it.
 
Julie’s recommendation was that we hire Van or someone to do the recycling; including the employees for the recycling and that the Town does not hire someone, but hire a business to do the recycling.
 
There will be many details to be worked out.  So we need to think about our needs and see what his proposal will be.
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
Cultural Facilities Grant:
 
It requires a 50/50 match.  The money is $1,000 - $30,000 for things like a water system for the Senior Center or a built in sound system at the Meeting House.  Diane called the school and was told they do not have a water softener.  The water is ok at the school.  There is rust in the water at Senior Center and it smells.  Need estimates for the Grant before May 15th.  Ron will check water tank.
 
Town Shed:
 
Tom reported that the Alden House is for sale again through Nancy Foster for approximately $230,000 for the house and 6 acres.  It’s a historical building and limits what can be done with it.
 
Ken reported that Mr. Scarborough approached him again about the water problem from Alden House.  Ken was wondering if there was something we could do.  It was decided there was nothing they could do.
 
Board discussed stockpiling the free dirt at the Town Shed for now and spread when they need to.
 
There was more discussion of ideas for the Town Shed.  They will continue to gather information.  
 
 
Brad mentioned exploring the possibility of getting more fill in there and it changes the dynamics of everything quite a lot about not being big enough to being big enough.  We own it.
 
Brad thinks they should have some professional people look at it, just to gather information, for what we can or can’t do.  They really need to open it up and see what’s really there.
 
Diane reported that in the budget they have:
  • $55,000 Land/Building Acquisition for Garage Fund
  • $89,000 Road/Highway Fund
 
Tom thinks we should do something for Scott, the Engineer from CVPS for all the free gravel.  Perhaps a gift certificate or something.
 
Tom will call Brad Ramsey to find out standards for septic system for Town Highway Garage.
 
Tom asked if we should consider another building.
 
Brad asked if they shouldn’t explore getting as much fill in there as we can, #1.   #2 look at water and sewer options.  That could change the scenario of that building area substantially. 
 
All kinds of ideas were thrown out as possibilities.  Current building could either be modified inexpensively or taken down all together.  A new building could be constructed. 
 
Brad has never visited the Salisbury Town Shed; so a possible field trip to Salisbury Town Shed may be made.
 
Paving Grant:
 
Paving Grant is due April 13, 2012.  Arlan recommended where we left off last year on Swinington Hill Road to intersection of Scarborough’s (.7 mi).  Just below the cemetery needs work.  We need to fix from the bridge back this way. 
 
We will ask for $70,000 for 1.3 miles.  Arlan offered to help Diane.
 
Dealing with Dogs, Animals:
 
Julie called the Rutland County Sheriff’s Department.  They said “no” before Julie could finish.
 
Julie received a complaint about horses being neglected.  Ken said horses were moved out in the last few days.  This is no longer our problem.
 
Paul Crosby stopped in.  He lives on Partridge Trail which is the first road off Isthmus.  He asked if we found an Animal Control Officer.  Julie gave him some background information.  He was a dispatcher for the Addison County Sheriff’s Department.  He was on the fire department for a number of years.  He is semi-retired.  He may be interested.  Julie will try to find a job description.  He may try to come April 16th.  He does live in town and seems like he would be available.
 
Julie mentioned that we still have the issue of a place to bring dogs; an animal holding facility.  We need to figure something out.  Julie would like the Board to think about the Ordinance and being strict about it.
 
Other: 
 
Ron mentioned their project at Fern Lake access area.  Arlan is helping with the trucking for free.  Tom has helped.  We have a $300 budget which he thinks most will be left over.  Ron called Dundon’s to see about a porta potty.  Their price is $115 per month and they clean it once a week.  Ron would throw the $300 in for three months and the Town may have to pay $100 or so, if their willing.  Ron called Dundon just to get an idea.  Other companies have them; as well.  Ron will check other companies for prices.
 
Motion by Ken to go into Executive Session to discuss personnel matter at 8:32 p.m.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Motion by Tom to come out of Executive Session at 8:38 p.m.  Second by Brad.  No action taken.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Motion by Ron to adjourn at 8:38 p.m.  Second by Brad.  All in favor.  So approved.
 
Next regular meeting, Monday, April 16, 2012.
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary