Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes


Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes


Monday, May 7, 2012




** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present: Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes, Ken Young


Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Kate Briggs, Jim Russo, Shirley & Bucky Shackett, Jay Michael, Allen Wilson, Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:35 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.


Review of Agenda: Agenda reviewed.




Lake Dunmore/Fern Lake Milfoil Issue:


Jay Michael and Allen Wilson came to say thank you for your support on behalf of the Lake Dunmore/Fern Lake Association and update the Board. They asked for a lot more support this year and the numbers seem to be holding up. The total amount of money they envision this year for milfoil is now about $136,000 which is double what last year’s was. It looks like between the towns and the State support in the range of $80,000. The Association will be putting in the balance. They will fund that through various projects and fund raisers and will probably dip into their savings this year.


Allen updated on the milfoil. They have received support from both towns and applied to the State for a grant. They’ve applied to Lake Champlain Basin Program for another grant. They have two suction harvesters. They have applied for another permit with the State. They will hit both lakes with a boat June 1. The crew is hired. They have six, three per boat, plus another person who is familiar with milfoil. So they have a professional crew.


They have partnered with Middlebury College. Middlebury College has the patent for a weevil that feeds on the core of the milfoil. They are going through the permitting process to put biological placement in the lake. It takes three years to get the weevil established. Residents and Town should be getting a letter about the process and possibly a public meeting will be held.






Meeting with L. Shackett:


Bob had talked with Bucky before Bucky went to Florida. Diane stated that we are just in the process of looking and considering options.


The Board asked if Bucky was interested in selling. Using the map that Ken prepared, Bucky is not interested in selling on the east side; and definitely the corn field is out of the question. Bucky was thinking about building on the west side.


The Board thanked Bucky & Shirley for coming.


Approve April 16 and April 23, 2012 Minutes:


Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of April 16, 2012 and April 23, 2012, as written. All in favor. So approved.


Review/Authorization to pay bills:


Bills making their rounds for signatures.


Reports from Town Officials, Committees:




Jim reported that all the data for reappraisals is in the computer system. As of today, all notices have been sent out.


Prehearings are being held on May 14, 15, and 16 from 9:00 – 5:00 at the Senior Center. Formal grievances are May 21st.


Tom asked about a $2,500 check. He asked if that was the last check for the reappraisal. Jim referred his question to Julie. Julie stated there was another one in May and $3,000 after the hearings.


Kate asked when the new values will be in the lister cards.


Jim stated the files will be updated over the next week.


Julie would like to encourage the Board and the Listers to try to deal with any issues they may have with their property at the prehearings so that it doesn’t have to get to a formal hearing. It will change your availability to serve on the BCA for appeals.





Health Officer:


Jim still needs a second inspection on garbage complaint on Lake Dunmore Road on Dorey Lane.


The Property Manager of the apartment house is upgrading everything on the inside. Rodent problem has been taken care of. The property is on the market.


Jim will follow up with State on the Bullock Road. There has been more dumping.


Town Clerk/Treasurer:


Julie shared a concern about the bill for printing for the Change of Appraisal Notice. They were sent to the printers by Ed. He ordered 875. The Listers had no input. She expressed that Ed doesn’t have the authority to do any purchasing on behalf of the Town. There was no opportunity for our regular printer to bid on the printing. Julie recommends we make it very clear that they are not in charge of the Town’s money to prevent this from happening in the future.


Julie wants to know what to do about the gallon of anti-graffiti paint. The company refused to take it back. The invoice is $140. Julie called and wanted a return authorization to send it back. They will not give Julie a return authorization.


Arlan will take it out of the office and over to the shed. The Board agreed to have Julie ignore the invoice.


Julie voided Cecile’s last paycheck and re-issued a new check.


Delinquent taxes are at $67,350.


Julie received the Town Plan in a Word document. There are formatting challenges prior to Julie touching it, but Julie will be doing the formatting changes and make it right. Once Julie is done with the formatting, Kate and Diane will be helping with content and grammar. There were problems with the roads in the maps; as well.


Zoning Administrator:


Kate received a call from Cassandra at the school. They are completing a permit application for setback waivers for a greenhouse. Kate is recommending the Board waive the $175 for permit application for the school, but they need to go through the process.


Motion by Ron and second by Tom to waive the $175 fee for setback waiver for Leicester Central School for their greenhouse. All in favor. So approved.


Kate denied two permits for Jeff Smith.


People are very concerned about what is going on with the garage next to the store. Kate has drafted a letter. There are some issues about commercial use all along Rte.7. There are various other places which you could say is commercial. Kate would like some legal advice about the commercial use all along Rte 7 to talk about the best way to approach it. She would like a clear definition of commercial vs. home occupation.


Ron does not want to stir things up and just start going after people.


Motion by Ken and second by Brad to authorize Kate to get legal advice from Jim Carroll regarding the property north of the store and how to proceed. All in favor. So approved.


Kate will try Jim Barlow at VLCT first.


Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve bills as submitted. All in favor. So approved.


Green Up Report:


Kate reported a successful green up and in general, a lot less than last year.


Road Foreman:


Scott did some grading and they have been taking off the shoulders on Delorm Road. There was some discussion.


Ken doesn’t want anything coming down his driveway. He doesn’t mind up where the fence is, but he doesn’t want it to come across his lawn and down his driveway and wash it out.


Arlan will throw some seed down where they cut the lawn.


Arlan needs to fix the chloride truck because he backed into the plow. The plastic pipe broke. Arlan will take care of the plastic pipe.


Motion by Tom and second by Ken to authorize Treasurer to pay Lem Palmer $500 for green up clean up. All in favor. So approved.


Cemetery: None


Weight Permits:


There are two weight permits.




Representing Town on B-L-S-G Insect Control District:


There was no response to the article in the paper. Julie has offered to serve as our representative.


Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve Julie as our representative on the B-L-S-G Insect Control District. All in favor. So approved.


Diane co-authored and sent a letter to Ms. Pitkin. No one has heard anything.


Town Shed:


Tom will talk to the Brown Family to see where they are at.


Contract with Addison Sheriff’s Department:


The contract for the Sheriff’s Department had to come back to us due to Jim Coon’s passing. The contract made its rounds for signatures. Julie faxed the form that the Board wants them to start Memorial Day weekend and run until mid October at sixteen hours per week. Weekend nights, in particular.




The letter for Vermont Sun Triathlons did go to the Salisbury Selectboard and has come back and Diane will mail it tomorrow.


Tom Roberts told Julie that it looked like the Town might get some grant money.


Russell Valander sent us the letter about striping on the roads. Their goal is to maintain an electronic mailing list.


Ken asked if everyone was happy with the guardrails. Everyone was. He asked if Arlan should fill in the dibits. No one thought it was necessary.


Motion by Ron and second by Brad to go into a brief Executive Session to discuss a personnel issue at 8:06 p.m. All in favor. So approved.


Motion by Tom and second by Ron to come out of Executive Session at 8:15 p.m. with no action taken. All in favor. So approved.


Motion by Ron and second by Ken to adjourn at 8:17 p.m. All in favor. So approved.


Next regular meeting, Monday, May 21, 2012.


Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary