Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 1, 2012
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes
Members Absent:  Ken Young
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Kate Briggs, Arlan Pidgeon, James Russo, Crystal Dukette, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed.
Approval of September 17, 2012 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to accept the minutes of both the special public meeting and the regular meeting on September 17, 2012 as written.  All in favor.  So approved.
Review/Authorization to pay bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Health Officer:   
Jim reported he received a call from the hospital of one dog bite of Michael Fredericks, on Balsam Drive.  He was breaking up a dog fight of his own dogs and was bitten and went to the hospital.  The dogs are all up-to-date with their vaccinations.  Jim turned it over to the Animal Control Officer.
Jim reported the sales study for the town has been done back on September 11th.
They are working on getting the property record cards with the pictures printed out for the file. 
The errors and omissions were fixed on the grand list.
NEMRC contract is in Board folder.  This copy has been edited and changed per Board’s request.  They are here to help us and work with us.  They have no purchasing authority for the Town.  They cannot be in the office without someone letting them in.  They cannot download anything.
The NEMRC contract is for one year and is $4,500 for scope of approximately 10 days worth of work.  They will bill us monthly.  Contract was signed by Board.
Dunkley-Gill Ruling:  Mr. Gill contacted the Arbitrator as to the ruling.  The Arbitrator went back to the $340,000 for that year.  If the town didn’t do a reappraisal, the $340,000 would stay for two years, but because the town did a reappraisal and his property dropped down to $250,000, that what he gets billed for this year.  From the email, Jim thinks he finally got it.  Jim thinks he just wanted to clarify that we understood the same thing.
Mr. Gill is expecting a revised tax bill for 2012 showing the credit and any leftover money.  Julie needs to write him a check for $100.48.
Julie explained the impact to the Town. 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to credit Mr. Gill his 2012 taxes and pay back any overage.  All in favor.  So approved.
Motion by Brad and second by Ron to authorize Treasurer to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
Chair thanked Jim for his professionalism at the arbitration.
Zoning Administrator:   
Kate gave some background on the Municipal Planning Grant.  In preparing for the grant, there were questions about adoption of the plan and the municipality being confirmed.  To clarify she called Regional Planning and found that if Regional Planning hadn’t confirmed the Plan, we would not be eligible for the Planning Grant.  We didn’t know.  She talked with Wendy Tudor, to no avail.  Regional Planning said they would help us for free for the technical review.  We are going forward.  Kate will talk with Adam about this.  It really was their fault that we didn’t meet the deadline.
Kate would like to see the Selectboard involved; as well as local contractors.  She will come up with an outline to present to the Planning Commission.
Julie will need two Town Plan copies for Regional Planning.  Julie asked; how many Town Plan’s they want to print.  There should be some color available for review or purchase and Julie can print black and white for others.  It was decided to print and bind 15 color copies.
Copy of the zoning regulations and Town Plan is on the town’s web-site.  In building the budget, they might be able to add some reproductions costs.
Kate would like to get copies of the regulations in the hands of the contractors so they know the regulations.
Board agreed to have Julie formally request on behalf of the Town that the Town Plan get formal approval from Regional Planning.
Town Foreman:
Arlan reported that they finished shouldering.  They hauled what little sand Markowski had.  He will try to get more from Champlain on Rte. 116.
Cemetery Committee:  
Jim mentioned he was told that items in the cemetery have been stolen off the graves; such as solar lights and statues.  Ron & Tom will pay more attention.
Discussion about work to be done in the spring.
Animal Control Officer:  None
Town Clerk/Treasurer
Julie went to Clerk/Treasurer training.  She reported it was very good.  She reported interesting information on elections.  Jim Condos was there to meet them all for the very first time.  New things are happening in the Election Division.  Julie has some concerns.
She received the first half of the milfoil grant; although delayed.
Thursday, October 4, 2012, Mosquito Meeting, 7:00 P.M., Brandon Town Hall, downstairs meeting room.
Julie mentioned that we have outstanding keys to the office.  We gave them only one key.  Jim will request “all” the keys before board considers re-keying the building.
Delinquent taxes are at $46,622.
Julie mentioned the two new, free bike racks that were supposed to be delivered in the spring and have now been delivered.  We need to install them and send a picture.  There was discussion as to where to install them.  Perhaps offer one to the school.  Arlan will check things out.
Remembering Chet Ketcham:
Motion by Ron and second by Brad to authorize Treasurer to make a $100 donation to the Brandon Free Public Library in memory of Chet Ketcham on Board’s behalf.
Town Land:
Ron thanked Julie for her help locating everything that was on Mr. Carroll’s list. 
Ron explained right of way on maps and deeds, boundary lines, town road.  They acknowledged the road as a town road in 1981.  Julie mentioned that they tried to find the markers.  Arlan will borrow a metal detector to locate pins.  They need to locate the pins and need to claim the property they are not currently mowing.
Board intends to give a reasonable amount of time for school board to respond to their letter.
Town Shed:  None
Taxes due October 15th.   Town Office is open until 2:00 p.m. to accept payments.  Taxes may be left in drop box until midnight.
Public Opinion: None
Next regular meeting, Monday, October 15, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to adjourn at 8:13 p.m.   All in favor.  So approved.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary