Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes

 

Monday, June 4, 2012

 

*Unapproved*

 

** See subsequent minutes for any changes

 

Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Ken Young, Brad Lawes

 

Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, James Russo, Sandra Trombley, Secretary

 

Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 

 

Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed.

 

Approval of May 21, 2012 Minutes:

 

Under brush trimming on Shackett Road, Tom would like the statement “Arlan has picked up some of his mess” referring to Bagley, stricken from the minutes.

 

Under Lister Report, correct Ashley’s name.  It should be spelled “Ashlie”.

 

Motion by Ron and second by Tom to approve minutes of May 21, 2012, as amended.  All in favor.  So approved.

 

Review/Authorization to pay bills:

 

Bills making their rounds for signatures.

 

Reports from Town Officials, Committees:

 

Listers:

 

Jim reported that there were 22 grievances heard.  They were mailed out on May 31st.  They have until June 14th to appeal in writing to the BCA.  Within 14 days the BCA must meet.

 

They are working on the files and making a set for Julie for the front office.

 

Health Officer

 

Jim reported that there were no new complaints.  Just doing follow ups on garbage and inspection.

 

Town Clerk/Treasurer

 

Julie reported that delinquents are $65,300.

 

Julie noted that in the front of the bill folder a signature is needed for the Marshall & Swift Cost Tables.

 

On the Lister timesheets, Julie wasn’t sure how to categorize the grievances and formal hearings.  She chose to categorize them under reappraisal rather than normal Lister because in normal circumstances you would not have that amount of work.  There were three days of informal hearings and three days of grievances.  The reappraisal fund will pay for it.

 

Zoning Administrator:  None

 

Town Foreman:

 

Arlan reported that they had taken off more of the shoulder on Ferson Road and Cram Road and put all the dirt over on Swinington Hill to make a wider shoulder.  Hooker Road and Ferson Road have been graded.  He hauled some gravel on lower Bullock Road.

 

Arlan talked with Greg Moore and he seems a little happier.  Arlan will keep him informed.

 

Brad Gee told Arlan $175 hr to remove ledge, plus $200 moving charge.  Markowski’s price is $200 hr plus moving charges.

 

Tom asked for clarification on the gravel bills.

 

Motion by Ron and second by Ken to hire Markowski to remove the ledge on Ferson Road and Shackett Road.  All in favor.  So approved.  Arlan will contact Markowski.

 

Cemetery

 

Tom reported that they met last Thursday and worked on the maps and completed the mapping of the old part of the cemetery.

 

Weight Permits:  None

 

NEW BUSINESS:

 

VLCT Insurance:

 

Tom reported that pre-drug testing is something that is now required by insurance carriers.  Tom is dealing with this in Salisbury.  This is something that needs to be looked into so we are not caught off guard.  Some equipment is Arlan’s and some is Town equipment.  Julie will make a phone call and get more information on requirements for the pre-employment or random drug testing program.

 

Ken noticed large holes dug in the sand pile the past few weeks.  Ken asked if we should put rocks out front to keep people out of the sand pile or put up concrete barriers.  A little bucket of sand is one thing, but truck loads is another.  Ken mentioned that they might want to consider a security fence before winter.  There has been so much vandalism in other towns.

 

The Board agreed that Arlan could put a few rocks or the four cement barriers that are on Jerusalem Road.   Brad has some 4x4x2 cement barriers that he will loan the Town.  Arlan will pick them up.

 

Ken reported that Dick’s Sporting has motion cameras with no visible flash that could be used for security and could be placed and camouflaged in various places.  Discussion if the film would be admissible in court.  These cameras are easily stolen.

 

Winter sand should be put behind the shed.

 

Tom mentioned that before the sand pile is moved, there should be some fabric put down and road gravel on top of the fabric.  The elevation should be raised.

 

Tom reported to Arlan that the stop sign coming off the Hooker Road has been defaced and someone painted one coming onto Route 7.  Arlan will check.

 

Ken brought up the inventory list for Town Equipment from 2001.  He noted that this should be updated so that we know what we own. 

 

Motion by Tom and second by Brad to authorize Diane and Ken to conduct an inventory between now and next meeting.  All in favor.  So approved. 

 

Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve bills as submitted.  All in favor.  So approved.

 

Motion by Ron and second by Tom to authorize Chair to sign on behalf of the Town; the Marshall & Swift Cost Tables.  All in favor.  So approved.

 

OLD BUSINESS:

 

Planning for Meeting with Steve Hare:

 

Next Thursday, June 14th, 7:00 P.M. at the Leicester Meeting House, the Leicester Selectboard and the Salisbury Selectboard will be holding a public meeting to have a conversation with Mr. Steve Hare about Triathlon.  Richard Reed will be the Moderator. 

 

Motion by Ron and second by Brad to pay Richard Reed $75 to act as Moderator for June 14th.  All in favor.  So approved.  Tom: abstained.

 

 

Possible topics:

  • Event insurance
  • Litter
  • Injuries
  • Event #’s on Rider’s Back
  • Routes & Traffic

 

Tom publicly thanked Julie, Kate, Diane and Sandy for the work done on the Town Plan.  Julie did a nice job with the Plan in color and maps in color.  The Plan for the State and surrounding towns will be in color; everyone that we need to send to for the grant will get a color copy.  Diane and Julie need to complete information by next Friday.

 

There will be a public meeting seeking comments on July 11th.  The Plan needs to be mailed out to surrounding towns 30 days in advance of the meeting.  As long as there are no significant changes, it can go to the Selectboard.  The Selectboard will warn a meeting to have another public meeting.  Provided there are no significant changes, it would be up for adoption.

 

After approval of the Plan, the Zoning Regulations will be up for revision.  We can apply for a grant, but the Zoning Regulations will be done in house.

 

Town Shed: 

 

Ron went to the Energy Forum and they do energy audits, but you have to pay for them now.  There are $0 grants for any type of energy.  There is no money. 

 

It might be better to put up a new building than retrofitting an old building. 

 

Tom hasn’t had a chance to talk with Brown family.

 

Ken, Ron and Arlan will meet at shed.  They need to decide what to do with sand. 

 

Motion by Tom and second by Brad to authorize Ken & Ron to make a decision as to what to do with sand pile.  All in favor.  So approved.

 

Motion by Tom and second by Ken to adjourn at 8:08 P.M.  All in favor.  So approved.

 

Meeting adjourned at 8:08 P.M.

 

Next regular meeting, June 18, 2012.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary