Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, February 6, 2012
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Ken Young, Robert Oliver
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, James Russo, Arlan Pidgeon, Randy Trudeau, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:35 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed.  
Phone Call from Railroad:
Bob received a phone call from the railroad.  They would like the Town to move the pile of stone that’s on the corner of Morrison’s on the other side of the track by the pull off before you cross the track.
Motion by Tom to allow the railroad to move their gravel pile from the Morrison’s east of the track and authorize Bob to sign the document as Road Commissioner on behalf of the Town.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.
Renaming a Road:
Randy contacted 100% of the residents on Stove Pipe Avenue.  He presented the petition; along with six names recommended/nominated for the road name for consideration.
Motion by Tom to go with nomination of Jenna Lane to replace the existing name Stove Pipe Avenue provided there is no conflict of the same name with surrounding towns.  Second by Ken.  All in favor.  So approved.
Julie will check with surrounding towns for duplicate names.  If none, she will call 911 for paperwork and the State for road map and clarify process to get it all done.
Everyone knows due to the signed petition.  Once everything is all set, everyone on the list will be notified of the name change.  Once residents are notified of the name change, they will need to complete a name change form with the post office.  A name change form will need to be sent to all surrounding post offices.
Arlan will need to order a new sign for the road.
This will all be contingent on no duplicate name in any surrounding town.
Julie would like to record the name change once all is completed.
Approval of Minutes of January 16 & January 23, 2012:
Motion by Tom to approve January 16th and January 23rd minutes as written.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.
Review/Authorize Payment of Bills:
Julie reported the electric bill for the white building.  The wattage has doubled for January in comparison to last year.  Diane and Bob will check it out after the meeting.
Weight Permits:
There were two permits for Arlan’s review; D&F Excavating and Lawrence Miner.
Weight permits were approved and signed.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie spoke with Humiston’s Estate lawyer for their recycling business and explained to him what she needed.  Julie did not hear back from him.  Julie has not received any information about the business and she called and left another message with Christine.
She received an incorrect statement, but until we receive the information about the business, we are unable to pay them.  Julie can’t pay someone without a business ID or a social security number for sole proprietor.  She will try the lawyer again.
Julie will let them know that we need to receive the proper paperwork by the next Selectboard meeting.  We cannot continue to pay under Richard’s social security number.
Town Reports and Ballots are out for printing. Julie is having the postage and labels printed right on them. Julie will need some help loading and unloading them at the Post Office.
Julie needs a BCA Meeting on February 20, 2012 at 6:00 P.M.  Julie will send out notices
Julie reported that we are in a new dog year.  Dogs seem to be a huge issue.  Julie asked if a decision was made on getting Brian some help.  Brian was supposed to be checking out some alternate help, but Julie hasn’t heard from him.    There are issues with dogs running at large, unregistered dogs and vicious dogs.
Action:  Diane will contact Brian.
Julie recommended we hire someone to do a dog census and then send violations to Brian.
Tom recommended doing post cards for dog census.  Julie will do post cards after Town Meeting.
Julie doesn’t feel that what happened this past year had a positive result or that we accomplished anything this past year.
Motion by Ron to approve bills as presented.  Second by Tom.  All in favor.  So approved.
Motion by Tom to approve James Russo’s timesheet as Health Office and Lister.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.
Health Officer:
Jim reported on Stove Pipe Avenue.  Last week he got a phone call from Middlebury Coop Insurance.  They are helping one resident with their problems and have contacted Van Denton.  Van Denton has cleaned up half of the garbage and will be coming back to take care of the rest.  The other resident is continuously cleaning up their property.
Reappraisals are going on.  Rechecking where needed and entering data.  Cecile and Jim are handling property transfers and maintaining the records with the grand list.
Road Foreman:
Arlan didn’t have much to report.  No snow. 
Diane reported that there is a hole on Cram Road that needs to be fixed heading east before Jackie Foley’s.
They cut a few trees, replaced a few signs and serviced the loader.  They worked one day on Delorm Road.
Cemetery Committee:  None
Recommendation from ACRPC Rep:
Diane gave history.  James Maroney sent a letter recommending Board veto County Plan.  If the Board did not agree with him, he no longer could represent the Town.
Motion by Tom to accept James Maroney’s resignation given that Selectboard is not vetoing the Regional Plan and that we disagree with his views.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.
Representing the Town/ACRPC:
Tom recommended that Chair put ad into the newspaper for a new representative.
Action:  Diane will contact James Maroney.
Town Shed:
Bob reported Bucky is in Florida until April.  He will sell enough for what we need, but didn’t want to sell the whole flat.  We can get together when he returns.
We need five acres minimum.
Other Business:
Ken will report back next at the next meeting about picnic tables.
Diane reported that we received an application for a Town Highway Grant for paving.  We need to come up with a plan for approximately a two mile stretch. 
Motion by Tom to go into Executive Session at 7:59 p.m. for the purpose of discussing a personnel issue.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.
Motion by Tom to come out of Executive Session at 8:02 p.m.  No action taken.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.
Brief discussion of bus blocking the town drive.
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 8:08 p.m.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.
Next regular meeting, February 20, 2012.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary