Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 15, 2012
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes, Ken Young
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed.
Approval of October 1, 2012 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve minutes of October 1, 2012 as written.  All in favor.  So approved.
Review/Authorization to pay bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer
Julie reported that taxes are due by midnight.
Julie asked about the bicycle racks.  They need to be installed and kept for 5 years.  Arlan put one out by Town Office and one over by green.  Arlan will find them a home for the winter.
Julie is reviewing financials.  She is concerned they will be about $41,000 short to pay all the school taxes.  The Errors and Omissions was huge and the PVR decision.  Delinquencies play a big role; as well.  She would like to send a letter to Brad James at the Department of Education to consider us a hardship case under the two extraordinary circumstances and to plea for a mini true up.  Board was in agreement that Julie sends a letter and pleads the case.
Election is November 6th.  She needs help setting up.  The Board can help set up after the November 5th Selectboard Meeting. 
Julie needs to schedule a BCA Meeting.
Julie asked the Board to sign the front page of the paving grant.  She needs to send in to get reimbursed the $99,000 and change.  The Board signed the paving grant paperwork.
Julie presented a Lister’s Certificate of No Appeal for the Board to sign of no pending lawsuits for 2011.  The Board signed the Lister’s Certificate of No Appeal.
There was a question why some towns pay their taxes more than one time per year and we pay one time per year.  There was discussion of a fiscal year budget versus a calendar year budget.  It’s not an easy transition if changed.
Town Foreman:
Arlan reported they hauled sand and graded Delorm Rd, Cram Rd, Ferson Rd, Jerusalem Rd, and part of Hooker Rd.
Arlan hauled some sand from Champlain Construction.  It is good sand but it is very fine and he would rather get it local.  Markowski has his screen back.  They should be making it again soon.
The trash on Bullock Road consists of mattresses and box springs, tires and garbage.  Arlan will take care of it.
Health Officer:   None
Listers:  None
Zoning Administrator:   None
Cemetery Committee:   None
Animal Control Officer:  None
Working with Planning Commission:
November 14th PC Meeting at 6:00 p.m.  The Selectboard is invited to the PC Meeting for a preliminary meeting. 
Those Board members that can be there will be.  Diane will warn; Sandy will so.
Diane has put a little article in the paper that they are seeking interested persons for PC Board.
School/Town Land Issue:
They received a letter from Dr. Castle.  On Wednesday evening, he said that RNESU Transportation Coordinator demonstrated how a bus was able to make a complete loop within the current driveway parking area.  They reviewed a draft set of protocols that will establish clear expectations for staff, students and parents regarding bus loading, unloading, pick up and drop off parking.  They walked the area and determined necessary changes in traffic flow where parking would be eliminated, temporary parking spots and necessary signage and line painting.  The School Board approved a new plan that will begin on November 1st.  This will allow time to finalize written protocols, create a map, and begin the process of communicating with parents and preparing students for the change in procedure.  They will provide the Selectboard with the set of protocols and a map that they have distributed to parents.  With the loss of several parking spaces, they asked the Selectboard to allow for occasional vehicles to park in front of the Town Office in the event space is not available.
Tom’s recommendation is that the occasional visitors park in the Park & Ride; as it is never full.
Julie’s recommendation is that they “never” park in front of the Town Office.  If you put one or two cars in front, there is no parking for town business.  She doesn’t care about the parking spaces along the side the White Building.
Diane will write a letter to acknowledge their prompt response and their plan and address the parking.  Signs will be put on the Town Office for Town Parking Only.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
Town Shed:  None
Public Opinion: None
Next regular meeting, Monday, November 5, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to adjourn at 7:25 p.m.   All in favor.  So approved.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary