Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Ken Young, Robert Oliver
Others Present:   Ashlie Delphia, Julie Delphia, James Russo, Rob Howland, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:32 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 
Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed.   
Approval of Minutes:  December 19, 2011:
Motion by Tom to approve minutes of December 19th with edit clarification on page 5 that both letters written refer to letters written to dog owners.  Second by Bob.   All in favor.  So approved.
Review/Authorization to pay bills.
Bills are making their way around the table for signatures.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer Report:  
Julie clarified some of the bills.
Motion by Ron as read, the Selectboard approves payment of all State and Federal taxes and fees as required.   This includes 941 payments, Vermont withholding payments, State Education tax, State dog fees and State marriage fees.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.  Board signed sheet.
Discussion on how to pay Richard Humiston’s estate for his position as Recycling Supervisor.  Sandy mentioned that she thought it should be paid to “The Estate Of” for his payroll check with W-2 deceased wages and a 1099-M.  Board thought it should be made out to his estate.
Julie understands from Richard’s daughter that they will be there for recycling.  When Julie calls she will ask her to come to the next Selectboard meeting to talk about the continuation of services.
Lem Palmer has offered his services if the Town needs help.
Motion by Tom to approve the Treasurer to send a check in the amount of $100 to the Richard Humiston Memorial Fund % Miller & Ketcham.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.
Motion by Tom to send sympathy card to the family of Butch Brown on behalf of the Selectboard % Greg & Sheila Gearwar.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved. 
Road Foreman Report:   None
Lister Report:
Jim reported that data is still being updated from the reappraisals.  Checking on a few places.  They have been here the past couple of days.  He has been stopping in talking with Chris with questions. 
Next week, Tuesday, the 411 will be going out and filed.
Health Officer:
Jim reported about a phone call on Monday from a person making a complaint about garbage on Stove Pipe Avenue.
Mr. Quelch at 138 Stove Pipe Avenue had called and talked with a town official.  The town official told him to call the Health Officer.
His complaint is about excessive garbage on the Lussier property at 116 Stove Pipe Avenue.  The bed of a pickup truck close to the road was overloaded with garbage.  The bags had fallen off onto the ground.  They had picked it up and put them back into the truck and moved the truck back; however, the garbage has fallen off again and ripped open and animals have been into it.  They are concerned about an infestation of rodents.  Jim promised he would investigate into it.
He couldn’t call the State on Monday because it was a State holiday, so Jim contacted the Department of Environmental Conservation on Tuesday and talked with Diane and she referred him to Department of Hazardous Waste and he talked with Dennis.  Dennis took all the information and he wasn’t sure if there was anything actually that could be done.    He had to check with a Compliance Officer. 
This afternoon, Barbara the Compliance Officer returned his call.  She said there really isn’t a lot you can do.  She recommended doing it as an informal visit.  Find out what their intentions are and what is the contents of the garbage and try working with them within a time frame.  See if we can work with them.  Give them a certain amount of time to get it cleaned up.  Depending on what happens would determine whether the Selectboard would want to get involved.
Jim had questions about a couple other houses on that road that have the same problem.   There was a discussion about what is considered “junk” in our zoning regulations.
Jim will make an informal visit to the properties tomorrow and encourage them to take care of their trash.  He will find out their intentions and give them a timeline.
Jim also mentioned vehicles that are too close to the road for the snow plow to pass.
Jim reported that no one has contacted him in regard to a well issue as previously reported at our last meeting.
Jim will be making a phone call to the Property Manager on the Strickholm property for final inspection.  Jim will give the Property Manager a date next week that he will be there.  If the Property Manager does not show, Jim will contact a Fire Warden or whoever to go with him to inspect the property.
Julie mentioned to Jim that a dog bit another dog on Indian Trail.  Brian gave a bunch of tickets.
Wind Turbine Farm:
Rob Howland came representing Reunion Power out of Manchester, Vermont owner and developer of a proposed wind power project in Pittsford, Hubbardton, West Rutland and Castleton on Grandpa’s Knob Ridge.  Their hope is to file a Certificate of Public Good in 2012 that will allow the project to be built.  All towns within a ten mile radius of the project will be notified.  They wanted to come and introduce themselves and explain that this project is being evaluated at this point.  The Town will received a 30 day advance notice of the filing and be able to comment.
Rob gave some background of the project of 15 to 20 towers.
For the record, the Selectboard has signed the 2012 payroll and rental rates as detailed.
Motion by Ron to authorize the Treasurer to pay the bills.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.
Town Shed:
There was discussion about Town Shed property.
2012 Budget Review II:
Auditing:          Level funded at $3,000
Listing:             Level funded at $13,000
Jim Russo has a recommendation to look at the Health Officer Budget.  He is happy with $10 an hour, but he wants to make sure there is appropriate money in the budget for a full year.
Jim had a recommendation for the Lister budget.   The Listers are working well as a team.   Jim would like the Board to think about the hourly rates for new Listers versus experienced Listers.  Jim proposes to the Board, that after a Lister has served their term and finished their  first year of the second term, their salary be raised  to $14 an hour.  With that said, the increase would not exceed the budget as it would only affect one person.  It only makes the Town stronger with their knowledge and experience.
Motion by Ken to raise the Lister’s hourly rate to $14 an hour once a Lister has completed the first year of their second term, effective after Town Meeting. Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.
Recycling;        Level funded at $4,100 with a question if this will remain the same
Buildings Expense:      Level funded at $3,000
Fuel:    Level funded
Grounds Care: Level funded
Selectboard authorizes spending the $150 balance in the Town Web Page line item for Ashlie to update the web-site.
Insurance numbers are firm.
Zoning Secretary: Increased to $1,200.
Utilities:  Level funded
Motion by Ken to relieve the Sheriff’s Department of traffic control duties effective February 5, 2012 and reinstate services May 15 – October 15.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.
Heath Officer: Increase to $350
Other Expenses & Assessments stayed the same since last meeting.
Appropriations:  As listed.
Board would like to keep the budget at $40,000 and ask the taxpayers for an additional $20,000 in a separate article.
Board would like to create a separate line item in the budget for Equipment Fund at $20,000.
Discussion of graders and pricing.   Board needs more information.
Ron reported that he and Tom went to G. Stone’s to look at the grader.  The grader was too light duty for the Town’s needs.
Chair recommended everyone take the budget draft home for another look to see if each is happy with it.  She emailed a draft of the Selectboard Report to everyone for review.
Ken reported that F. R. LaFayette will be here Friday morning to install guardrails. Someone needs to be there to stake it out.  Ron will get a copy of the original proposal from Julie.  Ron will be available on Friday morning to oversee the project.
Chair read a thank you from Virginia Wolf to the Leicester Shine’s Committee for her bag of treats.  She was deeply appreciative of their kindness and thoughtfulness.
Next meeting January 9, 2012.
Motion by Ron to adjourn at 9:07 p.m.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary