Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

 Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes


Monday, January 4, 2010




** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Bob Oliver, Ken Young


Members Absent:  Tom Barker


Others Present:   Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Cecile Todd, Deb Miner, Carol Morrison, Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 


Agenda Review:  Agenda reviewed.  Added another dog issue under new business.


Review and Sign Orders for Bill Payment:


Bills making their rounds for signatures.


Approve Minutes of December 21, 2009:


Motion by Ron to approve minutes of December 21, 2009 as written.   Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.


Reports from Town Officials & Committees: 


Town Clerk:


Julie reported that delinquents were now down to $86,700 and change, and she has another couple hundred that has come in.  They have been coming in very well.


There are a few stragglers coming in for December bills.


Julie is still waiting for information from VLCT on what our workers comp costs will be for this year.  The bill they sent was incorrect. 


Julie presented the budget with the latest numbers she has received to date, leaving an area for comments.  Julie explained that these are not final numbers. 


Julie presented her one page proposal.


Road Foreman:  No Report




Carol asked as auditor for clarification about an earlier conversation about Beth Ripley possibly collecting money for fire calls.  Diane explained, no, she (Diane) hadn’t moved forward with that.


Deb Miner reported that the auditors are making a recommendation for budget purposes that the Chair of the Selectboard be compensated $975; taking into consideration all the additional work done and that the remaining board members receive $675.  Deb explained the calculations involved in coming up with $12 an hour for the Chair and $10 an hour for the Board. There have not been any increases since 2003.


There was discussion what surrounding towns were paying.




Cecile and Julie had some old business to discuss about common level of appraisal and coefficient factor.  Julie called the Property Valuation Board.  They said it is the Listers and the Selectboard that challenge the numbers.  They sent Julie the list that is used for the calculation.


There was discussion about the list and property sales and property assessment.


There was no response from letters that went to appraisers.


Julie and Listers will look at the list on Wednesday.  The Listers will put a call or letters from the State’s list out to appraisal firms.


Discussion of moving forward with town-wide appraisal for 2012.


Listers will update the Selectboard next week.


Zoning Administrator:  No Report


Cemetery Committee:  No Report


New Business:


Weight permit:


Annual Weight Restriction Filing Form from VT AOT was signed.  Julie will mail.


Preparing the 2010 budget:


Julie went over her document. 


·         She level funded the salary


·         She swapped the clerk training and the assistant.  She didn’t spend a lot of it this year because she did more hands on. This coming year she would like to attend more classes and will need an assistant when she is not in the office.  She would be using an assistant more.


·         Under building expenses Julie would like some money for necessary things like shelves that might be needed in the office.


·         Under office expenses Julie added a little for postage because there will be a couple more elections and increased the printing.


·         Julie reminded the Board that they have a lot of books that need to be restored or archived.  There needs to be some money for record restoration.  They need to start it.


·         Under insurance she only knows about property and casualty right now.


·         ZBA needs to budget for recording costs.  She made an estimate based on 40 at $10 a permit.


·         Under public safety, we should do a dog census next year.


·         Under other, there will be three elections next year; around $1,500.


·         Bank fees and grant writing she kept the same.


On behalf of the Selectboard, the Chair sent a message to the Zoning Administrator, the Listers, the ZBA & PC, asking them to provide information on their proposed budget for 2010. 


Diane has received a proposal from Kate Briggs.  She has not heard from Gerry or Donna.


Julie would like a printing line in the Zoning budget and postage line if they go to certified mailings.


Cecile was asked if the Listers had any recommendations for the budget.  Cecile asked if they could go back to $12,000.  She will talk with Tim on Wednesday and come back with a proposal on Monday.

The Chair explained that they need to propose what they think they need to get the job done.


Highway Fund:  Arlan mentioned the culvert that is needed and some paving.  Bob stated that paving needs to be done on the south end of Hooker Road.


Carol does not plan an increase for the auditor budget.


Julie recommended an increase for the Moderator. 


Ron mentioned that they should think about the Equipment Fund.


Chair reported that Bucky called about a dog bite incident at the Lanphear residence.  Brian is looking into it.  The hospital reported that Joshua Tracey (the boy who was bitten) provoked the dog.  Diane is waiting for a report from Brian.


Old Business:


Information Items:


Meeting on ancient roads is scheduled for February 8.  The warning appeared in the paper.  Some calls have been coming in for information.


Public Opinion: 


Carol presented a petition to the Selectboard through Ron in connection with the two roads that affect their property making their feelings known and what they would like to see done.


Other Business:   None


Motion by Bob to adjourn at 8:50 p.m.  Second by Ken.  All in favor.  So approved.


Next meeting, Monday, January 11, 2010 at 6:30 p.m.


 Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary