Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes


Tuesday, May 17, 2010




** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Ken Young, Bob Oliver


Others Present:   Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Tweeter Felion, Cecile Todd, Jim Coons,  Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 


Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed and adjusted. 


Approve Minutes of May 3, 2010:


Motion by Tom to approve minutes of May 3, 2010 as written.  Second by Ken.  All in favor.  So approved.


Reports from Town Officials, Committees:


Town Clerk/Treasurer:


Julie explained bills and asked the Board to look over rental rates.


Delinquents are at $52,000.


Dogs are at 249.  Not much left.


Computer is back up and running.  Did not lose anything.


Zoning Administrator:


No report.  Out of town.


Road Foreman: 


Arlan reported that they dug out the beaver dam on Ferson Road twice and pushed out the dam inside the culvert once and blasted the beaver’s house. He needs to check it out.


Will work on the ditches for the FEMA work this week on Ferson, Shacket and Delorm Road.  Dig it out and stone.


Will take down overweight signs.


Julie & Tom discussed that signs are missing on  both ends of Hooker Road; as well as speed signs on Cram Road and Swinington Hill Road.


Cemetery Committee:


Tom reported that the committee is looking at different style fences.


Ken mentioned that he received a complaint about Jeff Smith’s project.  The bottom step is stoned up right into the ditch.


Bob, Ken, Arlan and Ron will go look.  Bob will contact Jeff Smith and meet and discuss his access.




Cecile reported that she talked with a gentleman from APAS Appraisal Service.  They are on the state approved list.  This company takes two years and takes their time to see what sales are doing.  She doesn’t know what they would charge to do Leicester.  She thinks there are also two other firms that might be interested.


Cecile asked for Executive Session after the meeting.




Conversation with Sheriff/Contract:


Introductions were made.


Mr. Coons thinks there is a definite need in Leicester.   He has a draft of a contract.  He answered questions from the Board.


The focus is police presence and traffic enforcement and police discretion.  Important to have communication between the Town and Sheriff’s Department.  Mr. Coon’s provided a blue form to use to fax in.


Discussion on speed limits on paved roads.  In order to change speed limits you need a traffic and engineering study.  Sheriff’s Department does the study.  At a later time the Board may have a conversation about speed limits and town’s junk ordinance.


Normal police response should go to the State Police, but if the Sheriff’s Department is right in town, they will deal with responses.


The hourly rate is $18.00 hour and .55 cents a mile for municipalities, 4 hour blocks.


Action:  The Board signed the contract with the Sheriff’s Department.


Board would like 16 hours a week for the remainder of May, June, July, August, and September.  8 hours a week in the months of October, November, December.  Weekends, afternoons, evenings.


Weight Permits:


Green Mountain Heritage Inc., single vehicle.  Bob will sign.


There is a letter from Tom Roberts, AOT, indicating that the Town is not getting Class II paving dollars for 2011.


Cross Street Bridge beams will be moving through Town on the 24th and 25th.  Julie will contact Otter Valley for bus concerns.




Posting roads:  Ken went to haulers and excavators to explain the plan.  He went to McDonald’s first and told him they will be posted at 3:30 p.m.   He went to Markowski’s and D & F’s.  Everybody understood the reasoning behind posting the road.


Tweeter Felion discussed the overweight trucks and posting roads.  Markowski is the only one that paid for gravel.  He asked why we haven’t asked others.  You should have posted the roads two months ago.   The Board explained that the trucks going south to the Brandon project should use Brandon’s roads.  Tweeter agreed.


Meeting House Steps:


Ken’s wife contacted the Vermont Community Land Trust and it appears to be slim that we would get the $25,000 grant.  We can still apply by the end of this month.  The town might get a small amount.

The Historical Preservation Trust of Vermont is another option. 


Action:  Diane will look into the Vermont Community Land Trust and the Preservation Trust.


Senior Center Damage Repair:


Paul Francoeur submitted an estimate for $150 for clapboards, paint, primer and labor to repair the damage to the Senior Center.


Motion by Ken to authorize Paul to repair the Senior Center for a sum not to exceed $150.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.


There is a letter from Bill Johnson, Property Valuation Review about our appeal.  We have 18 days to appeal to the Board. 


Addison County Regional Planning wants feedback on transportation infrastructure study.


The Board had discussion about the appointment of an Energy Coordinator.   


Action:  Diane will contact Ray Lalumiere to see if he would be interested in the position.


Diane mentioned that there were three community members honored on Friday afternoon for the public service award.  Bob Oliver, Carol Morrison and Frances Monroe.  Bob was the only one that went to Montpelier.   Bob worked 36 years for the town and 4 years in Montpelier.   Congratulations!!


Board authorizes Julie to contact Jim Carroll, if needed,  for advice on completing paperwork the Town received in regard to a resident filing bankruptcy.


Limited Public Opinion:  None


Motion by Ron to go into Executive Session at 8:35 p.m. for a legal matter and personnel issue with Julie and Cecile.  Second by Tom.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Ken to come out of Executive Session at 9:00 p.m.  Second by Tom.  No action taken.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Bob to adjourn at 9:00 p.m.  Second by Ken.  All in favor.  So approved.


Next meeting, Monday, June 7, 2010.



 Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary