Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes


Monday, August 2, 2010




** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Ken Young, Bob Oliver


Others Present:   Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Cecile Todd, Sue Potter, Harold Somerset, Kate Briggs, Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 


Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed. 


Approval of Minutes of July 19, 2010:


Motion by Ken to approve minutes of July 19, 2010 as written.  Second by Tom.  All in favor.  So approved.




Isthmus Road Update:


July 20th, a group went to Isthmus Road.  Julie reported that she accompanied the group and they marked trees to be taken down with paint.  Julie took the tax map for Isthmus Road and pulled out all of the surveys who are all of the landowners on the road to see who owns the land in the right of way.  There are only three or four people that actually own within the right of way. 


Julie stated that all landowners should get notice; even the landowners on private roads, that there may be delays getting in and out of their properties.


Arlan talked with a CVPS representative and CVPS is not intending to take down any more trees in that area.  Arlan won’t know for sure if we will need a tree service until he gets into the project.  He will do all he can and should be able to take down most of them. 


Arlan reported that one oak tree on Hooker Road, across from Tony Neri, needs to be taken down and needs a tree service to do so.  You would need a bucket truck.  Arlan will contact David Newton.


Arlan thinks the total Isthmus Road project will cost between $15,000 - $20,000 and take two to three weeks.


As of December 31, 2009 there is $70,000 available in the Road/Highway Restricted Fund.


Motion by Ken to approve Isthmus project to Arlan not to exceed $20,000.  Second by Bob.  All in favor but one.  Tom abstained due to conflict of interest.  So approved.


A start date of August 9th or 10th and be done by August 23rd to August 25th.  Notifications will be sent to landowners by regular mail.   Signs/posters need to be made indicating times of day Arlan will be working.


Recommendation by Ron to send a letter to the Brandon Fire Department when project is done.


Delorm Road:


Ken suggested they get together when they have more time and schedule another property visit.  Ken has talked with Randy Wilcox.  He was ok as long as water didn’t go on his property.


Review/Authorize Payment of Bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures.


Reports from Town Officials, Committees:


Road Foreman: 


Nothing more to report.


Town Clerk/Treasurer:


Julie reported delinquents are at $48,600. 


Last grievance day is tomorrow for 2010 taxes.  Hopefully lodge grand list tomorrow.  She will be able to do the calculations for the tax rate.  Education rate went up between .05/.06.  Town rate will stay right about the same even with the increase for Veterans.


Julie invited everyone to come in her office to view the art work from the Leicester Score Program.


The last day for people to do their applications is Wednesday, August 18th at 5:00 p.m. for the checklist.


BCA meeting on August 16th at 6:00 p.m. before Selectboard Meeting.


Diane reported that next Tuesday, August 10th from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. at the American Legion workshop on opening the polls.

Zoning Administrator:


Kate requested two refunds of zoning fees she collected.  One refund of $60 to Gary Makovec because he was not allowed to represent his parents at the hearing and $175 for Dunmore Acres because they withdrew their application.


Motion by Tom to refund a total of $235 to the two parties for zoning fees.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.




Cecile will put a notice in the paper about starting the reappraisals.  We will send postcards letting people know they will be coming around.


They will need one 4-drawer file cabinet for the appraisal firm.  Kate can use a two drawer they have for zoning.


Cecile stated they will start in outlying areas and concentrate on the lake area next summer.


Kate reported about logistical support and scheduling appointments.


Discussion about building a budget for 2011 reappraisal to determine exactly what the reappraisal costs with wages and supplies.


Cemetery Committee:


Tom reported there will be a meeting this Thursday, August 5th at 6:00 p.m.  He reported they got rid of the dirt pile.


Julie asked what to do with the $2,000 donation from the Historical Society for the steps.  Julie doesn’t want to lose sight of it.  They need to use it by the end of year or move it.


Bob indicated that members of the Historical Society were asking why something has not been done.


Further discussion about the steps.




Resignation of Charles Makovec/ACRPC:


Diane read a letter of resignation of Charles Makovec as of September 1, 2010.


Motion by Tom to accept Charles’ resignation with regrets and authorize Chair to send a letter of appreciation.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.

Diane will put a notice in the newspaper that we need an alternate for Regional Planning.


Limited Public Opinion:  None




State of Vermont, Public Service Board, is holding a hearing this Friday at 9:30 a.m. in Montpelier regarding construction of a new substation in Salisbury.


Town Health Officer is looking into a complaint about trash at a residence.


October 7th, Vermont League of Cities and Towns holding their Town Fair at Champlain Valley Fair Grounds Expo.


Executive Session:


Motion by Ron to go into Executive Session at 7:57 p.m.  Second by Tom.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Tom to come out of Executive Session at 8:45 p.m.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Tom to authorize Kate Briggs, ZA to send a letter to Jeff Smith on behalf of the Selectboard.  Second by Ken.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Bob to adjourn at 8:46 p.m.  Second by Tom.  All in favor.  So approved.


Next meeting, Monday, August 16, 2010.



 Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary