Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes

 

Monday, July 5, 2010

 

*Unapproved*

 

** See subsequent minutes for any changes

 

Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Ken Young, Bob Oliver

 

Absent:  Ken Young

 

Others Present:   Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Cecile Todd, Kate Briggs, Sandra Trombley, Secretary

 

Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 

 

Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed and adjusted. 

 

Approve Minutes of June 21, 2010:

 

Motion by Tom to approve minutes of June 21, 2010.   Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.

 

Review/Authorize Payment of Bills:  Bills making their rounds.

 

Chair read a letter from Bruce Biers asking if the Town had title to any lots that would be appropriate for a Habitat for Humanity site and if they would donate it.  The Board has nothing at this time.

 

Reports from Town Officials, Committees:

 

Town Clerk/Treasurer:

 

Julie reported things have been quiet.  There have been no new delinquents.

 

The Homestead education rate is an increase of .06.  Until the Grand List is finished, we cannot set the tax rate.

 

The tax rate is going up.  Hopefully the tax rate can be set by the beginning of August.

 

Road Foreman: 

 

Arlan talked with Gary Dupoise about the paving last week.  He will be getting back to Arlan.

FEMA:  They worked three days on Shackett Road and less than a day to finish.  Ferson Road will be next.  Need more discussion of Delorm Road about 400 feet of ditching.  Discussion on replacing the culvert.  Arlan recommends the culvert being replaced rather than the ditching.  The ditching would require a lot more work than planned.

 

Diane will talk with Mr. Schelley about Ferson Road.

 

Tom asked Arlan to fix corner of Fern/Delorm by his house.

 

Put new tire on grader.

 

Bob asked if he was going to put a shallow ditch away from the new culvert on Delorm Road so it doesn’t run into Johnson’s door yard.  Arlan stated, yes.

 

Bob asked about the culvert on Old Jerusalem Road, right next door to Jane Fjeld’s driveway.  It should dug up and cleaned out and be taken care of before someone gets in there.  The culvert isn’t long enough. 

 

There is a culvert on Leicester/Whiting Road at Brenda McAtee’s that needs replacing.

 

Zoning Administrator:

 

Kate left for Lake Dunmore/Fern Lake Association meeting.  Leicester Community Forum next Wednesday 6:00 – 8:00.  The Planning Commission will be overseeing the Forum.

 

Listers:

 

Cecile presented the contract for reappraisal from APAS, LLC for Board to sign.  Total cost is $63,000, with a monthly payment schedule.  There is $55,000 in the reappraisal account as of December 2009. 

 

Motion by Ron to authorize Treasurer to pay APAS, LLC the first installment of $2,500 from reappraisal fund.  Second by Tom.  All in favor.  So approved. 

 

Julie will mail the signed contract with the check.

 

Cecile asked the Board for a two week extension for the Grand List. Next Monday the Listers are supposed to meet.   She told Kate and Tim to go through all the appeals and anything they can come to an agreement on is fine with her.   She will come in on Monday and do the computer work.

 

Once the Listers finish making their decisions as a Board, the clock starts to tick and she has seven days to get the Lister grievance notices out.  The taxpayer has two weeks to file to the BCA.

 

The Board signed Cecile’s request for a 14-day extension to file the Grand List and attached the email from Terry clarifying timelines.

Due to rumors circulating, Cecile wanted the minutes to show that she has been paid $2,510 as of the end of May for Lister work.

 

Cemetery Committee:

 

Tom reported head stones were cleaned. 

 

Weight Permits:  None

 

As of June 26, 2010, the Selectboard signed Certificate for Approval for Location of Salvage Yard for Arlan Pidgeon at 2078 US Rte. 7.

 

OLD BUSINESS:

 

Isthmus Road Status:

 

Arlan and Bob Kilpeck took a quick look but didn’t mark anything.  Bob Kilpeck gave paperwork that stated the fire lanes need a 20’ lane and 13’ 6” vertical clearance.

 

Bob will contact Kilpeck and Breslen to come and meet with Arlan and look at the situation.

·         Step 1:  What needs to be done?

·         Step 2:  Cost

 

Other:

 

Ron talked with Ray Munger.  He sent Ron an email that he has never given anyone permission to go on his property with four wheelers.

 

Ron will get him to fax the letter with his signature to the Town Clerk who will forward it to the Sheriff’s Department.

 

Limited Public Opinion:  None

 

Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:40 p.m.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.

 

Next meeting, Monday, July 19, 2010.

 

 

 Respectfully submitted,

 

 

Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary