Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday June 1, 2015
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present: Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Ken Young, Brad Lawes
 
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, John Chandler, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda: Added
 
Under Old Business: BLSG history and future.
Executive Session: for personnel issue
Highway: Citizen requests for a sign
 
Approval of May 18, 2015 minutes:
 
Motion by Ron and second by Brad to approve minutes of May 18, 2015. All in favor. So approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported that delinquents are at $99,250.
 
Julie received a call from attorney’s office about the cemetery deeds. She explained that in order to do the deeds properly, the plat map needs to be a recordable document on Mylar, the lots need to be numbered and the Selectboard needs to do rules and regulations and a resolution. The deeds would reference their rules and regulations and plat map recorded. The attorney gave Julie a couple towns to look at for reference.
 
Tom said they have the plat map on Mylar and recordable with lots laid out and numbered. It is recorded. They need to update the map.
 
Julie will do some research and will do what she can to put everything together for Cemetery Committee’s review at their next meeting.
 
Cemetery Committee meets next Thursday, June 11th at 6:30 p.m.
 
Julie has been getting calls from residents asking when they are going to be sprayed and when is the town going to do something about it. Julie has given them BLSG’s number and explained to them that the Town of Leicester does not spray.
 
Tom asked Brad about liability insurance, going from municipality to commercial. Brad stated there wasn’t much of a change as long as there is nothing done maliciously. BLSG did secure another rider.
 
Julie reported that the listers conducted grievances and sent out notices.
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported they hauled 500 yards of winter sand and did some ditching on the Cram Road.
 
Arlan asked about the pavement grant and Diane informed him that the town did not get a grant this year.
 
Arlan took down a tree.
 
There was an estimate from McCullough’s for taking down a tree of $2,400.
 
Arlan called Green Mountain Power. They are likely to cut the tree, so they won’t need to hire anyone.
 
Arlan asked about repairing the divot area where you turn onto Old Jerusalem Road when he does the repair/divot on Leicester/Whiting Road. Board agreed it should be fixed.
 
Animal Control Officer:
 
John Chandler reported that from the 31 unreported dog registrations at the first of the month, he has successfully worked that number down to a dozen. John has been in contact with several dog owners, but he is having trouble getting in touch with a few.
 
He reported an incident with two neighbors where Jeff McDonough and the State Police were called. He made a report and no charges have been pressed at this time.
 
Julie ordered an infrared laser temperature probe for cars to use when animals that are left in vehicles. The price was $20. They should ship within the month.
 
Cemetery Committee:
 
Tom reported that Cemetery Committee is meeting next week, June 11th at 6:30 p.m.
 
Health Officer:
 
Diane conducted a water test at 1823 Lake Dunmore Road.
 
Diane and Tom will go and visit a property on Leicester/Whiting Road for a garbage problem.
 
Weight Permits: None
 
Review/Authorization to pay bills:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to approve the bills. All in favor. So approved.
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
Acknowledgement from Shirley Shackett in regard to town’s donation in Bucky’s name.
 
A subscription application from Brandon Area Rescue Squad came to the town, but it should go to individuals, not municipalities. No action.
 
Letter from Brookfield Service about generators.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
Zoning Administrator Vacancy Update:
 
On May 26th, the PC interviewed Jeff Biasuzzi. Board felt he was very knowledgeable. Tom called references from Wallingford, Castleton and Pittsford. They gave him high marks.
 
Tom had a concern about his availability on a day to day basis and he does not live in the area. Also, the concern of dealing with 4 sets of zoning regulations and he wanted $20 per hour. Jeff lives in Wallingford.
 
Ken thought Jeff was clear that he would read our regulations before making any decisions. Ken was impressed with him. He appeared not to be anxious to go to court and would work closely with applicants to complete a proper application and to avoid coming before the ZBA or going to court.
 
Tom said that Jeff would be available by phone between 7:00 – 8:00 a.m., but after that he turns his phone off to concentrate on work for whatever town he was working for.
 
Mary Anne Sullivan dropped off her letter of interest and resume. She applied for the position a year ago when David was hired. She is a member of Regional Planning, and she has been appointed to Regional Planning’s 250/248 Committee which evaluates energy and communication projects She is on the West Salisbury Developmental Review Board as Secretary.
 
Ron was wondering if she would be more accessible because she lives nearby.
 
The Selectboard feels that they have two very good candidates. The Board feels another interview is necessary.
 
Diane will set up the interview with Mary Anne to meet with the Planning Commission on June 9th at 6:15 p.m. The PC can make their recommendation to the Selectboard. Selectboard can make their decision at their June 15th meeting.
 
BLSG:
 
Julie shared some history between BLSG and the Lake Dunmore/Fern Lake Association.
 
Brad explained that there are routes assigned and spraying regulations must be followed.
 
There will be a BLSG meeting Wednesday night. Hopefully things are working better.
 
BLSG needs another truck. Ben is trying to get 75% funding from the State for the Argo.
 
 
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
Ken suggests that they spruce up the Town Shed. In his notes, he found where the quote was $6,000 - $7,000 for four sides.
 
Ron suggested doing a section each year to come out of the building fund.
 
John Chandler offered to get their estimator from Naylor & Breen to come up to do two separate estimates for a roof and also for siding and insulation.
 
Brad mentioned Bud Carpenter does metal buildings and roofs. Brad will talk with Bud.
 
Ron will be the contact person.
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
Citizen Request:
 
Ken informed the Board that citizens are upset with people running over the turtles and would like to have a sign put up east of Old Jerusalem Road that says “Caution Turtle Crossing”.
Board authorized Arlan to investigate getting a sign and costs and report back at next Selectboard meeting.
 
Public Opinion: None
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to go into Executive Session to discuss personnel at 7:49 p.m. All in favor. So approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to come out of Executive Session at 8:09 p.m. with no action taken.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to adjourn at 8:09 p.m.
 
Next Meeting: June 15, 2015
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary