Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday November 16, 2015
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Ken Young
Members Absent:  Brad Lawes
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Mary Anne Sullivan, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderMeeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Added Access Permit under Highway Concerns/Needs.
Approval of November 2, 2015 minutes:
Motion by Ken and second by Ron to approve minutes of November 2, 2015 as written. All in favor.  So approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported a bill for fixing the vault door; as she couldn’t open it.  The vault people replaced the lock and shims and it is working fine.
The first payment to the State is in the bills for education.
Julie reported $139,000 in delinquents.
Julie has no paperwork about the bridge on Old Jerusalem Road and the cement work. 
Julie had someone come in to talk about garbage on Maple Run Road.  Julie told the resident to call ACSW and make a complaint because the Sheriff Department is contracted with them to take care of it. 
There have been other bags of garbage noticed on Fern Lake Road and Rte.7.
Julie reported that the Otter Valley vote for their Eco changes is tomorrow.  Office is open only for voting tomorrow.
Julie has been working with the Lake Dunmore Fern Lake Association to finish the milfoil grant paperwork.
Road Foreman:
Jennifer Fitch wants to come down to Old Jerusalem Road again on Wednesday, November 18th at 8:00 a.m.  She wants any paperwork or records we might have.  Ron and Ken will try to be there.
Arlan reported he cut trees and cleaned out ditches on Ferson Road.  There are a few trees he needs to cut on Cram Road. 
Scott graded Cram Road and Hooker Road.
Arlan put a couple loads of gravel on the end of Jenna Lane so there is room to turn around.
Melvin cut brush on Dewey Road.  There were some complaints, but they have been taken care of.
Zoning Administrator: 
Mary Anne reported it has not been a busy November.  She has been working on the office files.
Mary Anne reported that she looked over the Planning Commission’s work so far; Section 1 & 2, 4 & 5.  She thinks a couple more definitions will be needed.
Mary Anne wanted to share information from a Planning & Zoning Forum she went to on Wednesday, October 28th in Montpelier.  She thought it was very good.  It was based on solar installations; applications that are coming before towns. 
One particular note she wanted to mention is; several towns around the State have negotiated with the solar developers so the town gets something out of it.  Firefighters won’t go in where there are solar panels and a fire; they won’t go on a roof of houses with solar panels because they could be electrocuted.  Some towns ask them to make a contribution to the fire department, education programs in schools, screening; and some solar developers will do that.
Some towns have set out a special solar ordinance that is not part of the bylaws or the town plan, but a stand-alone stop gap measure; so when you want to revise the plan, you know what you are revising, and what to include and this takes precedence. 
It is something solar developers look at in town plans.  Since they don’t have to give much consideration to the bylaws, they look first for loopholes in town plans and if there are loopholes, they are targeting those towns.
Mary Anne stated that Salisbury modeled theirs after Cornwall.  It is worth taking a look at because it talks extensively about screening and decommissioning and the worry that the solar developer may have sold it long ago to someone else.  The landowner has a responsibility; as well, for the decommissioning.  It takes lots of money for decommissioning.
In the past year there has been a proliferation of solar development.
Mary Anne reported she didn’t make the Regional Planning Committee meeting last Wednesday.
Tom moved markers for a family.  He needs to move some other markers for another family.
Tom reported he has the maps.  The new part is all numbered. 
They need to come up with rules and regulations.  Rules and regulations are on the agenda for spring.
Tom stated they will continue the way they are in the old section.
Julie reported receiving a form from the Vermont Department of Transportation for the annual highway report for the year ending March 2015.   Julie tried to call and couldn’t get anyone.  She already submitted the form in February.
Julie will try again to call or email the Department of Transportation about this form. 
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to approve payment of the bills.  All in favor.  So approved.
Planning Commission Re-appointment:
Motion by Ken and second by Tom to re-appoint Peter Fjeld to Planning Commission.
Diane mentioned that they need to be thinking about getting some more members.
Thinking about the 2016 budget:
Chair mentioned that they need to be thinking about preliminary budget items for 2016; and possibly putting money aside for bridges, town shed, new vault and location, paving and other budget items.
Access Permit:
The access permit for McDonnell is tabled and put on hold until Brad returns December 7th.
Town Shed:  None
Limited Public Opinion:  None
Executive Session:
Motion by Tom and second by Ken to go into Executive Session to discuss personnel at 7:38 p.m.  All in favor.  So approved.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to come out of Executive Session at 8:32 p.m. with no action taken.  All in favor.  So approved.
Motion by Ken and second by Ron/Tom to adjourn at 8:32 p.m.
Next Meeting:  December 7, 2015
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary