Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes

Monday December 7, 2015


** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske


Members Absent: Brad Lawes, Ken Young


Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, John Chandler, Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.


Pledge of Allegiance:


Review of Agenda:


Approval of November 16, 2015 minutes:


Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve minutes of November 16, 2015 as written. All in favor. So approved.


Reports from Town Officials, Committees:


Animal Control Officer:


John reported that there was nothing out of the ordinary. There is still some bickering between residents that he reported on before, and it is at a point that John will start writing tickets.


There was an incident with a dog bite of a two year old awhile back. Neither dog is registered.  There is a family dispute between the daughter and mother.  The mother claims the dog was stolen from her.  Board recommends John tell them that they need to call the police.  This is a civil matter.  It is out of John’s hands.


Town Clerk/Treasurer:


Julie reported she received a phone call from residents at Fern Lake access that two fathers and sons on the beach were duck hunting; shooting at ducks and trespassing on someone’s property. Julie told them to call George Scribner, Fish & Game.


Julie informed the Board that when there is a garbage complaint, ACSW hands it off to the Sheriff’s Department to pick up. The Sheriff told the complainant that if it is in the Town right of way, it is up to the town to clean up.  Clarification of responsibility is needed.


Julie received a five page grant survey for a 2014 grant that the town turned back and never took money. The grant was never closed out.  There needs to be some policies in place for future grants.


Julie stated she got a letter that the school is doing a merger. The merger vote is on January 19th.  Julie had some issues with the school board doing special elections with little notice.  Julie sent a letter and also when she got to the meeting she explained that what the School Boards were doing was inappropriate and that the Selectboard was in charge of town buildings and not the School Board or Supervisory Union.  In the future they need to check with the town.


There will be a webinar tomorrow that Julie will be attending to learn more about the merger, boards and representatives.


Petitions for representatives need to be in by December 14th.


Road Foreman:


Arlan reported that Scott did some grading. The hopper sander is mounted and working.  They have been working on the bucket loader.


Diane mentioned the lighting of the memory tree. She needs to get more lights. 


Tom asked Arlan to fill the potholes in the driveway at the cemetery.


Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve payment of the bills. All in favor.  So approved.








Access Permit:


The access permit map for McDonnell needs to be re-marked in red and initialed. It needs to be approved by the Road Foreman prior to construction.  One Selectboard may sign and then it goes to Zoning Administrator.




Julie prepared and explained the preliminary budget spreadsheet for everyone’s review.


The Selectboard meeting of December 21st is moved to December 28th so that all board members would be present for budgeting purposes.  The next meeting following December 28th would be January 4, 2016.


Diane will start a Selectboard Report to reflect culvert dollars, paving dollars, town shed and buildings.


Julie will talk about taxes in her report. Julie reported that delinquent taxes were presently at $132,600.






Town Shed:


Tom recommends the road crew go get all the metal and screws and put the siding on when they are not busy doing other things.


Motion by Tom and second by Ron to have the highway crew get a price and purchase materials needed to re-side building from this year’s budget. All in favor.  So approved.


Limited Public Opinion:  None


Executive Session: None


Motion by Tom and second by Ron to adjourn at 8:10 p.m.


Next Meeting: December 28, 2015


Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary