Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 02-03-2020

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, February 3, 2020
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, John Rouse, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Beth Ripley, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Add Delinquent Tax Policy
Delinquent Tax Policy:
On behalf of the Board, Julie provided Jim Carroll’s office with the number of delinquent taxes that Leicester currently has and asked for his suggestions of what to do and how to proceed.
Jim Carroll provided the warning form letter that they typically use with towns to represent tax sales pursuant to 32 VSA.  Jim also provided information on their flat fee arrangements and recommendations for collections.  In conducting a tax sale, Jim’s office would be working with Julie, as Treasurer and Beth, as Delinquent Tax Collector and Selectboard to approve any retention arrangements, as well as, authorizing any participation of the town at the tax sale. 
Julie stated there were around 35 delinquent property taxes from 2018 or prior.
Tom asked Beth if she contacts the mortgage companies.  Beth stated that she does contact mortgage companies when there is a lien holder, but many properties don’t have liens.  She thinks the town would get quite a bit of action from a letter from a lawyer; and she stated she is in favor of doing this.
Tom thinks they should consider 2019, as well as, prior years.
There was discussion about what years to consider.  The Board agreed they should consider all delinquent taxes that are not under arrangements.  Beth agreed.
Motion by Tom and second by John to proceed with contacting Town Counsel to initiate the tax sale process.  All in favor.  So, approved.  
Julie will contact Jim Carroll for particulars on how to begin.  
The Board approved Diane to sign on behalf of the Board.
Approval of January 20, 2020 minutes:
Motion by Tom, second by Brad, to approve minutes of January 20, 2020, as written.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John, second by Tom, authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported everything was good.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
The Boundary Validation Program was signed by Diane on behalf of the Town.
Julie reported there was a letter regarding the trucks in correspondence.
Julie asked about posting roads.  Posted roads must be done on-line now.  Arlan, Scott and Julie will work on this and make any postings on-line.
Certificate of Highway Mileage was signed by three Board members.
Julie provided a letter from Carolyn Cota about a meeting Wednesday, February 26th at the Jerusalem Road bridge site for three adjoining land owners; Shackett, Hogan and Fox.  The town is invited to come.  Times are 9:30, 10:15 and 11:00.  The meeting is about construction and details and they are not dealing with property acquisition at the time. 
Cingular Wireless is going to put in new telecommunications on Hutchison’s property on Shackett Road.
Julie is scheduling a BCA meeting before the next Selectboard meeting on February 17th at 6:15 p.m.  She will send out a notice.
Julie shared that snowmobilers have been riding their sleds across the Town Green to get to the store when there is no snow.  She doesn’t know if it has caused any damage.  She shared some other issues with snowmobilers; as well, but hasn’t had any complaints at this time.  She is just forewarning the Board.
Julie reported she has had a request about mailboxes on Route 7.  All the way up Route 7 there are mailboxes on both sides of the road until you get here, then the mailboxes going north are all on one side of the road.  Residents need to cross Route 7 to get their mail.  The concern is that it is dangerous.  They have gone to the Post Office and they are getting no answer.  They were wondering if the Town would consider sending a letter to the Post Office; asking if mailboxes could be on the side of the road that the homestead is on, due to safety concerns.  The Town is not able to determine this; only Post Office.
Board agreed that Diane would write a letter.
Julie mentioned that all over the State towns are posting hearts for Valentine’s day; to reference how love conquers hate.
Julie will post a heart.
Health Officer:
Animal Control Officer:
Cemetery Committee:
Tom reported he has had two requests for grave sites.  
Tom reported that Don Durkee is no longer doing stone cleaning and repair.  Tom met with Keith Barker who is doing some of Don Durkee’s work, cleaning and repairing stones.  Tom asked him to stop up and look things over with him in the spring.  Tom will report back after he meets with him and gets a price.
Weight Permits 
Julie provided the email letter about the truck behavior issues to the Board.
Motion by Tom and second by John to table the email letter to Selectboard about truck behavior issues.  All in favor. So, approved.
Planning Emergency Preparedness Exercise:
Diane reported that Max Kennedy and Andrew L’Roe would be available to train on potential scenarios for emergencies just for Leicester for about 1.5 hours.  The Board came up with possible dates; March 23 or March 30 from 6:30-8:00.   Diane stated she will contact Max and Andrew.
Town Shed:
Motion by John to adjourn at 7:37 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, February 17, 2020 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary