Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 11-09-2020

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, November 9, 2020
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker
Members Absent:  John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to OrderCalled meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. 
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda:  Added Error & Omissions Document
 
Approval of October 19, 2020 Minutes:
 
Motion by Brad, second by Ron to approve minutes of October 19, 2020.  With Brad’s abstention, there is not enough for approval, so moved to approve at the next meeting due to lack of quorum.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Tom, second by Brad to approve bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported that the State split the highway money between the towns rather than doing grants this year.  Leicester got a little over $17,200 of highway money.
 
Julie reported that Keith Arlund would like authorization to speak to Jim Carroll, Town Counsel, regarding Mountain View and the status of the lots in a possible subdivision.  
 
Motion by Brad and second by Ron authorizing Keith Arlund to speak with Jim Carroll regarding Mountain View lots to seek clarity.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Julie reported:
  •       The Digitization Grant is now complete and she will be submitting the charges for $19,531.06 which should be paid at 100%.
  •       The Elections Grant for planning and operating safe and secure elections of $5,000 has been billed out at 100%.
  •       The LGER Grant has been submitted for $23,025.37.  There is $5,000 left to spend for facilities if needed for Covid related items.  Discussion on possible expenses and what might be needed for an in person Town Meeting in March.  There might be a need for air purifiers or generator backup.  Must be spent or planned to be spent by December 31st. Paperwork must be submitted by December 11th.  Julie will investigate prices with Peck Electric and discuss again on November 16th.
 
Julie reported that ACRP is doing an on-line university and has an on-line learning platform.  They sent Julie a list of employees that signed up.  There was one person signed up that was not an employee, so Julie inquired with Adam and he said the current on-line platform allows anyone to sign themselves up without any oversight.  Julie will be able to review who signs up.
 
Julie reported that the new tax maps are done and she noticed some problems.  Julie has been working mornings and nights trying to review these maps and there are a number of things that need to be corrected on them before the maps are finalized.  Julie explained she has spent almost 40 hours of time in the last two and a half weeks and would like to be compensated at an hourly rate for her time. 
 
Julie showed the Board the old maps compared to the new maps and explained all that she has been doing with reviewing and adding missing information and problems with unlanded properties.  
 
Brad asked if they are legal maps.  Julie explained that tax maps are not legal maps and are not a survey.
 
There was discussion about the maps and shared concerns about the process.
 
Julie still has 6-8 hours more to finish the maps editing for accuracy.
 
Julie asked Board for clarification how she should proceed with finishing the rest of the maps within the deadline.
 
Motion by Brad and second by Tom authorizing Julie to finish the map project and iron out details at November 16thmeeting.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to table the compensation decision until the November 16th meeting.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported they did some grading on Bullock, Delorm, Cram and Old Jerusalem Roads, hauled sand and dug out a beaver dam on the flats. 
 
Brad asked about three trees coming off the bank toward the lake.  Arlan will talk with GMP. 
 
Arlan talked with Mr. Eaton about plowing for the school.  Brad Keith got the job.  Arlan will see how it goes.
 
Tom stated he called about the price on the fenders for the John Deere loader.  Tom is waiting for a call back.
 
Arlan needs to go get the plow.  Julie got the bill.
 
Weight Permits:
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
  •       Communication Union District was formed to help get Wi-Fi hotspot locations.  
  •       Agriculture Foreign Investors Disclosure Act 
  •       Better Roads Program Funding 
  •       Front Porch Forum Annual Supporting Member Campaign
  •       Virtual Conference November 18th about Recycling & Energy Resilience
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
DRB:
 
Julie mentioned to Brad that Jay Michael needs to let us know if he wants to be considered as an Alternate to the DRB.  
 
Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Policy Update:
 
Julie reported that it is a requirement and they have to take the policy and fill in the blanks. 
 
Tom will stop and ask John if he got any other policies.
 
Will revisit at November 16th meeting.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
Conversation with ACO Candidate:
 
Diane made introductions to Carly Lehrer.  Carly is interested in the Animal Control Officer position and possibly coordinating with the Salisbury position; as well.  Carly shared her background in social and animal welfare and what she could bring to the position.  She currently has a position at the Addison County Humane Society as Shelter Manager and took a class at State Police for Introduction to Animal Welfare Part I.  She explained she has no fear of dogs and has five of her own. 
 
Tom asked about hours she can work since she works at the Humane Society and whether she could leave her job if she needed to.  Carly stated her supervisor would allow her to leave within reason.  She can flex her schedule if critical to do so. 
 
Tom asked what she expected for pay.  Carly didn’t realize it was a paying position.  Tom didn’t feel the position required more than 30 hours in a year.  Mostly just phone calls or complaints. 
 
John has all the equipment she will need. 
 
Julie mentioned in the future, after Covid, the need for a spring dog census.
 
Diane explained that in the past the position paid $15 per hour.   
 
The Board is willing to start Carly as ACO with $15 an hour and asked her to keep track of mileage to discuss at a later date, if needed.
 
Julie will provide Carly the forms and paperwork and a copy of the Dog Ordinance and put Carly’s number on website when paperwork is completed and she’s good to go.  Julie will contact the Judicial Bureau for ticket books.
 
Error & Omissions Document:
 
There was an error in the current use for Pierpont property and it was corrected.
 
Board signed the Error and Omissions Document.
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
 
Executive Session:  
 
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to go into Executive Session at 8:12 p.m. for a legal matter.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to come out of Executive Session at 8:30 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to authorize Julie to contact Town Counsel for advice.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by Tom, second by Brad to adjourn at 8:31 p.m.   
 
Next Regular Meeting: November 16, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. 
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary