Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 09-07-2020

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, September 7, 2020
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker
Members Absent:  John Rouse, Ron Fiske 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderCalled meeting to order at 6:40 p.m. 
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Add Access Permit and CMV Policy
Approval of August 17, 2020 Minutes:
Motion by Brad, second by Diane to approve minutes of August 17, 2020 as written.  2 yes and 1 abstention (Tom) So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Brad, second by Diane to approve bills, including Road Order 36.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that he ordered the new plow.  He has hauled some sand.  Arlan asked D&F about paving the center on Leicester/Whiting Road and they thought it would be about $8,000.  They have already striped it.  Board decided to wait.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that at their next meeting they will set tax rate.
Julie asked to add Road Order 36 to the bills.
Julie reported someone stole the Jenna Lane sign and post.  Arlan will order a new one.  This sign has been stolen several times.
School parking agreement with Dale has been held up.  They are parking people down at the soccer field until it snows.  They spray painted routes through the parking lot.  All the parking spaces are gone; except for the ones right up by the building.  
The State tested the water at the school and the PFAS is too high.   You can use it to wash your hands and flush toilet, but not drink.  They will come back and do another test.  
Julie reported a break in of a car on Old Jerusalem Road on September 1st at the pull off at the end of the Bullock Road.  While car owner was kayaking, someone broke into their car and stole a bag and wallet.  It was on Front Porch Forum and Julie thought the Board might like to know about it.
Animal Control Officer:
Cemetery Committee:
Vermont Leagues of Cities and Towns published a prospectus on police reform.
VT Department of Public Safety letter about discussion of policing; wanting a written response and feedback.
Julie will draft a letter on behalf of the Selectboard thanking them for their service and encourage them to continue to inforce the laws of the State of Vermont.
Commercial Motor Vehicle Policy:
Julie reported that Jim Carroll reviewed and made comments to the CMV policy.  Jim recommends they have a personnel policy; as well.
Julie will email Jim’s comments on the CMV Policy to the Board for their review.  She will put the policy on the next agenda.
Diane reported a letter from the president of the LDFLA explaining they are working with Fitzgerald Environmental Associates to conduct a Watershed Action Study to talk about phosphorous omissions and an action plan.  They would like to meet with Leicester and Salisbury.  They want to be included on the Selectboard agenda.  Julie suggested some alternatives; due to Covid-19 regulations and room size constraints.  Possibly calling in or another location.  Diane will get back to them.
Grant Offers to Consider:  
  •       Milfoil Grant has been accepted and have received the first payment and paid to LDFLA in bills.
  •       Equipment Grant has been acknowledged that we want it, but haven’t got approval yet; waiting on letter.
  •       Digitization Grant for $20,000 has been applied for and should know by September 15th.
  •       LGER Grant for $9,700 has been applied for and should know by September 15th.
  •       Bicycle/Pedestrian Grant –  not doing
  •       Ash Tree Grant –  not doing
Municipal Highway and Storm Water Mitigation Grant – Diane contacted Mike Winslow to let him know they were interested to learn more about it.  Diane explained some of their conversation about a scoping study.  She also brought up TAC Grants with Mike.
There was discussion of possible locations and styles of town sheds.  
Access Permit:
Dan Dale is building a house across from Bonnie Johnson’s.  There is an Access Permit from Dan Dale for Brad’s signature.  Arlan was good with it.
Brad asked Julie what the procedure was for getting public information.  Julie explained due to Covid she is open by appointment only.  Research appointments for 40 year searches are on Thursday.  Monday and Tuesday are open by appointment for everything else.  She has made available on the website; all of the indexes and tax bills from 2008 to present.  All procedures are on the Town of Leicester website. 
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:35 p.m.
Executive Session:  
Next Regular Meeting: September 21, 2020
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary