Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 09-21-2020

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, September 21, 2020
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, John Rouse, Ron Fiske
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderCalled meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. 
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda: Confidential CDL Records exempt per 1 V.S.A. § 313 (a) (6) & BLSG for Executive Session
Approval of September 7, 2020 Minutes:
Motion by Brad, second by Tom to approve minutes of September 7, 2020 as written.  3 yes and 2 abstention (Ron & John) So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John, second by Tom to approve bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that he hauled sand for two days.  
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie confirmed with the Board told hold a BCA meeting before next Selectboard meeting on October 5th at 6:15 p.m.
The BCA met last Wednesday and in order to have the two decisions corrected on the grand list there has to be an Error & Omissions Certificate signed by the Selectboard.  Julie reminded the board that the decisions are considered confidential until the decisions are mailed out.  They will be mailed out tomorrow.
Julie’s report about grants:
  •       $20,046 Digitization Grant was awarded.  Started the system to do the transfer of data for land records and indexing.  The “go live” date is currently October 19th.  The complete implementation of all data by the end of the year.  Two computers are part of the grant to input information and it also allows people to do searches outside of the building at home.
  •       LGER Grant:  have not heard about
  •       Equipment Grant:  have not heard about 
Julie reported that the heat pumps have been installed and working well.  Huge difference in dehumidifier, but have only had them a couple days.
There was discussion about the DRB and their next meeting on October 14th for the Johnson subdivision.  Keith told Julie he will come to the meeting.
Julie will help them this time with the warning in the paper and notices to adjoining property owners; but will not be able to do this in the future.  She does not have the time due to all her other responsibilities; especially now with Covid-19.  The DRB will need to do their own Findings of Fact and notices to adjoining property owners.  They all have their binders with regulations and samples of forms.
There was discussion how to proceed.  Peter’s term is up in November and he told Diane he was not interested in another term.  Jeff and Bill’s terms are also up in November.  Diane will compose a letter to DRB board members; reminding them what positions are up in November, asking their intentions of reappointment, the upcoming hearing, terms for three years.  There needs to be five members at a minimum for a DRB.  Diane suggested Board be thinking about who might be interested in serving on the Board.
Julie reported that four wheelers and side x sides have been running out front and across the field and down to junk yard.  It has become their highway.  
Board suggested Julie call the Sheriff’s Department.
Julie mentioned the November election coming up.  Julie recommended when people ask questions about the election, please share this information:
  •       Every active voter is going to get a ballot in the mail.
  •       You can vote on that ballot and mail it; or
  •       You can vote on that ballot and bring it back; or
  •       You can vote on that ballot and put it in the drop box; or
  •       You can bring that ballot with you and vote on voting day;
  •       Yes, there will still be in person voting;
  •       No, the State of Vermont does not validate signatures
  •       Contrary to what was said on VPR, once you put your ballot in the mail, you cannot change it.
Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Policy:
Discussion on CMV Policy review with suggestions Jim Carroll provided.  
Discussion on Jim’s recommendation of having an employee handbook.  Board felt elected officials are very different than hired employees.
Board does not feel they need an employee handbook at this time.
Upon adoption of the policy, the town will need to appoint a Designated Employer Representative, a Medical Review Officer and a Substance Abuse Professional.  
Julie is the Designated Employer Representative (DER).  She has to do the queries through the clearing house, check the driving records, get the employee to the office without them knowing they are being tested.
Tom and Brad thought they needed more information before they can make a decision.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to table the CMV Policy decision until research can be done on how other towns or VLCT are handling the appointed positions.  All in favor.  So, approved.
John offered to contact other town representatives for information.
Town Roof Contract:
Julie provided contract for approved quote for Jordan Hillman of Vantage Point Homes for two Board signatures.  Jordan measured the roof today.  
Setting Tax Rate:
Julie reported they finished the Grand List which included the BCA changes.  Based on those figures, the new tax rates are:
  •       Homestead tax rate is: 1.6917
  •       Non-residential tax rate is: 1.9211
Motion by Diane and second by Tom to sign the new tax rates and to waive the late homestead filing penalty.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Discussion about starting a reserve fund to borrow from in the future so they don’t have to get a loan due to delinquent taxes.
Executive Session:  
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to go into Executive Session to discuss Confidential CDL Records exempt per 1 V.S.A. § 313 (a) (6) and BLSG at 7:36 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to come out of Executive Session with no action taken at 7:40 p.m.
All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by John and second by Tom to adjourn at 7:40 p.m.
Next Regular Meeting: October 5, 2020
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary