Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 10-19-2020

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 19, 2020
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present:  Diane Benware, John Rouse, Ron Fiske
Members Absent:  Brad Lawes, Tom Barker
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to OrderCalled meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. 
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Added a catering permit.
Approval of October 5, 2020 Minutes:
Motion by John, second by Ron to approve minutes of October 5, 2020 with minor change.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John, second by Ron to approve bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Julie requested authorization to pay the assessments and appropriations before the next meeting.
Motion by John and second by Ron to authorize Julie to pay the assessments and appropriations before the next meeting.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that he did some grading and hauled some sand. 
Arlan stated that the new plow was here and they need to go get it.
Arlan feels they are in good shape with salt and sand.
Arlan checked on the guard rail where the accident took place.  Lafayette wants $1,500+ for the post and segment and they want someone to do flagging and put out signs.  Arlan will give the go ahead.  Insurance will be billed.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported she sent the Letter of Intent for Municipal Roads Grant & Aid.  After October 30th, our Regional Planning contact will send us what our grant amount is; then they schedule a visit.
American Rock Salt sent their quote for salt which was $70 a ton.
Julie reported the Digitization Grant is officially on-line.  There is more work to be done behind the scenes.  We currently have what is required to meet the grant requirements.
Julie sent the first invoice for the LGER Grant for $2,325.37.  By December she needs to do the second billing.
The Secretary of State’s Office offered a grant for Covid election supplies up to $250.
The Center for Tech and Civic Life (CTCL) has a grant for election costs for up to $5,000.
Julie reported the roof is done on the town office.  Jordan helped with the drop box.  Jordan came in last Tuesday and measured the area and is working with Desabrais to make the dividers before the elections in November.
Catering Permit:
Brandon Harvest Group Dba Café Provence are doing a wedding on Lake Dunmore on October 24th and submitted an application for a permit to serve alcohol.
Motion by Ron and second by John to approve the permit.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Weight Permits:
Diane reviewed the correspondence:
There is a letter of request from Andrew Campanella, President of National School Choice Week asking us to consider joining and issuing a proclamation of awareness of National School Choice Week January 24 thru January 31, 2021.  He sent a template.
Board agreed.
Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Policy Update:
John shared copies of other town policies that he received and there are more coming to him. 
Julie will contact the VLCT Rep tomorrow to give him an update and ask about federal guidelines.
Meeting with LDFLA Reps:  Watershed Study:
LDFLA representatives want to have a meeting to discuss a watershed study they want to have done for Fern Lake and Lake Dunmore.
LDFLA hired Fitzgerald Environmental Association to do the work.  A representative from Fitzgerald would be included; as well, to go over the scope of the project.  They will phone in December 7th.  
Diane shared that Bill Shouldice and Jeff McDonough acknowledged their wish to be reconsidered and be reappointed to the DRB.
Julie shared information and update on the DRB hearing last week.
Hazard Mitigation Plan Info/Update:
The State of VT is developing grant applications to fund the updates and rewrite of the Mitigation Plans.  Leicester will write an application for the full amount which is due by December 4th.  Board will discuss this again at their next meeting when they have a full board.
Executive Session:  
Motion by John and second by Ron to go into Executive Session at 7:15 p.m. All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by John and second by Ron to come out of Executive Session at 7:37 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.  No action taken.
Discussion about Animal Control Officer responsibilities.  John filled in on a temporary basis.  We need to find a more permanent solution and will be advertising to fill the position.
Motion by Ron, second by John to adjourn at 7:39 p.m.   
Next Regular Meeting: November 9, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. due to preparation of November 3rd election.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary