Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 06-15-2020

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, June 15, 2020
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
 
Members Present: Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker
Members Absent:  John Rouse, Ron Fiske
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Beth Ripley, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to Order:  Virtual Meeting, per Covid-19 pandemic response called to order at 6:36 p.m. with roll call.  
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda:   
 
Approval of June 1, 2020 Minutes:
 
Motion by Brad, second by Tom to approve minutes of June 1, 2020.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Tom, second by Brad to approve bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Town Office is open by appointment only due to the 6’ distancing guideline.  They have to do as much as they can remotely and can’t have anyone in unless they can meet the 6’ distancing.  Julie supports by phone or email.  A person can come in one at a time and come to the counter.  Julie stated that it looks like it’s going to be this way for a while.
 
The election is coming up in August.  Secretary of State will send post cards to every registered voter asking them to make sure their voting information is correct on the statewide checklist and asking them to vote absentee.  Not sure what that will look like with voting inside the building with social distancing. Julie will have to work that out.
 
Julie reported the Covid-19 numbers were a little higher due to the outbreak in Winooski.  State emergency status extended to July 15th.
 
Financial Questionnaire:
 
Julie explained the Financial Questionnaire is required each year by the State Auditor’s office.  Questionnaire must be filled out and acknowledged in the minutes that the Board saw it.  
 
Motion by Brad and second by Diane indicating that they have seen the financial questionnaire and understand the information there in and authorized the Chair to sign on behalf of the Board.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Delinquent Taxes:
 
Beth reported Vermont is still in the state of emergency.  At this point, they still have to table the legal counsel.  One person came to Beth’s home and paid their taxes in full and another has been in close contact with Beth.  Beth plans to put a note in with the notices this month; that even though they have tabled legal counsel; it doesn’t mean taxes are not due.  They were due prior to the state of emergency.  Taxes will be due again in November.
 
Julie is setting up a work station and printer for Beth.  Beth can come in on Thursday.  
 
Beth will text Julie on Thursday. 
 
Animal Control Officer:
 
Cemetery Committee:
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
There is a letter in the packet seeking support for the Broadband Infrastructure Grant that Regional Planning is applying for.  Leicester has issues in regard to internet access.  An example was Ron not being able to log in for Zoom meetings.
 
Diane will do the letter of support and submit to Adam Lougee at Regional Planning.
 
Local Government Resolution from VLCT.  Pass.  Deadline was June 12th.
 
CSAC has information on Covid-19 with a support line for mental health issues.  Julie will post on the Town Office web-site.
 
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Policy:
 
Julie reviewed the comments and suggestions from the Board for all the applicable sections that needed a change.  There was discussion on each section.
 
Julie will compile and send out for the Board’s final review before sending on to Jim Carroll.
 
The VLCT Representative will be coming mid-July.  Julie does not have a confirmed date.
 
Resignation of ZA:
 
Diane reported that she contacted Anna Scheck to see if she could help out until they found a new Zoning Administrator.  Anna has too much going on and could not help the town at this time.  The employment ad will be going in the paper Thursday.
 
Diane contacted Keith Arlund to see if he might still be interested in the position.  He needed more information before making a final decision.  He stated he could work remotely for the most part.  He has looked over their regulations.
 
Julie researched what permit applications were pending at the office.  She has four permits that need attention but she doesn’t think they need to go to the Board.  She has a subdivision/boundary line adjustment application that she doesn’t think needs to go to the Board.  There is a multi-lot subdivision that requires going to the Board.  Sandy is working on setting up the meeting for the multi-lot subdivision.  Julie has provided all this information to Keith. 
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad offering Keith Arlund the ZA position at $20 per hour; limited part-time work up to 3 hours per week as much remotely as possible.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
 
Diane will contact Keith tomorrow.
 
Request from Brandon Reporter:
 
Diane emailed the proposal to the Board.  Julie read the proposal.  Legal ads would still need to be paid and the stipend would not cover legal ads.  The Reporter is looking for support from the town.
 
Leicester news goes to the Addison Independent, Front Porch Forum and web-site.
 
Board is not in favor of a stipend at this time.  Diane will let Lee know.
 
Brad mentioned that they were treating the lake June 17th.
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
Town Office Roof:
 
Tom has one bid for shingles, but he has been trying to get in touch with Ron to discuss what kind of roof to use and the entry way at Senior Center.  Julie has a bid for shingles. 
 
Julie will run the ad again to replace entire Town Office roof with shingles or high quality metal and remove old shingles before winter. 
 
Update Senior Center:
 
Julie reported they have been working every day and it looks really nice. 
 
Tom would like to contact Ron to look at the entry way.
 
Tom will ask Mr. Brunet how much it would cost to wrap the door and take care of the entry way.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Brad authorizing to wrap the door if the wrapping does not exceed $400, no meeting required.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
Grading:
 
Arlan asked if Tom could do some grading.  Brad and Diane had no objection.
 
Tom doesn’t want to get into any conflicts of interest.  Tom would like to wait for the full board at July 6th meeting.
 
Arlan would like to get rear fenders for the new loader.  Arlan needs to talk with Pudvar and come back to Board with a price.  Arlan thinks they should have had the fenders to begin with.
 
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 8:00 p.m.
 
Next Regular Meeting: July 6, 2020
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley
Selectboard Secretary