Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

December 4, 2006

Leicester Select Board Meeting

Unapproved Minutes:  See subsequent minutes for corrections

 

Board Members Present:  Diane Benware, John McDonough, Cecile Todd and Bob Oliver

Board Member Absent: Mark Stacey

 

Others present:  Donna Pidgeon, Arlan Pidgeon, Mary Hughes and John Hughes

 

Meeting was called to order at 7pm.

Pledge of Allegiance was recited.

Agenda was reviewed.

 

Approval of Minutes

Discussion: The November 20, 2006 minutes were reviewed.  Awarded lawn care bidders will be notified by letter.

Action:  Diane Benware will write letters to the bidders. Bob Oliver made a motion to accept the minutes as written.  Cecile Todd seconded.  Motion passed.  4 ayes and 0 nays.

 

Review and Sign Orders for Bill Payments

Discussion: none

Action: Review and signing orders for bill payments were completed.

 

Reports from other Town Officials or Committees

Discussion:  Arlan Pidgeon reported that the antifreeze on the truck is okay.  It is good for 49 degrees below freezing.  He ditched parts of Hooker Road.  The board had received money from FEMA to do this job.  The state recommended that the culvert, which is diagonally across from selectman Mark Stacey’s residence, be filled with rock.  Arlan Pidgeon will check Wheeler Road.  He stated that it might need to be stoned too.  He will take the diamond out of the intersection.  Ditching may be enough until spring.  He will do the corner by Ferson’s too. Dave Lathrop will be retiring.

Action:  Donna Pidgeon will be calling Dave Lathrop to get a retirement date.  Mr. Lathrop has promised the board money in the recent past.

 

Discussion:  Donna Pidgeon reported that 65-70% of appraisals are complete.  Complaints had been received regarding the Coon residence. Papers have been sent to the Coon residence.  Nothing will be done until the eviction process is complete.  Margaret Borden contacted the office regarding a no parking sign on Indian Trail.  It was advised that public access be posted at the other end of Indian Trail.

 

New Business

Appoint zoning members and secretary

Discussion:  Cecile Todd read Michelle Carter’s letter into the minutes.  She is a new resident who is willing to be an alternate and secretary for the zoning committee. There were no other applicants.  Ms. Carter has eleven years experience as a secretary at Mary Hogan.  Ron Fiske will remain on the committee.  Jerry Flint will serve as a committee member rather than an alternate.  Donna Swinington will not serve on the committee.

Action:  John McDonough made a motion to appoint Michelle Carter as secretary and alternate of the zoning board. Bob Oliver seconded.  Motion passed.  4 ayes.

 

Old Business

Zoning Issue:  Jerry Flint was on the agenda to address the board.  However, he did not attend the meeting.

 

Historical Sign

Discussion:  It was stated that the replacement was to be replica of the original.

Action: none

 

Calendar Year to Fiscal Year

Discussion:  The board is considering asking the community to change from a calendar year to a fiscal year.  If this happens, the board would have to initially complete an 18-month budget.  This would be broken down into a six-month and a twelve-month time frame. Advantages would be that the calendar would coincide with the school calendar, the operating budget would run from Jan to June 30 (eliminating no budget from Jan to March each year), the board would have from June 30 to March to make a new budget, residents would receive one tax bill with two stubs (two smaller payments rather than one large), and the auditor said it would make life easier. The current reappraisal should make the 2997 taxes lower.  Therefore this would be the appropriate time to consider the change.  It would also be easier for the homeowner to figure his pro rate taxes when his home is sold.  The state may mandate this anyway.  It gives people more time to plan for their taxes.

Action: If the board deems the fiscal calendar a valid endeavor, the action will be brought before the people at a warned meeting in the spring.

 

Budget Meetings

Discussion:  Donna Pidgeon suggested that the board have a budget meeting in time for her do banking prior to December 31.She suggested moving bridge money out of the budget and into a money market account.  She also suggested moving the reappraisal money to repay the general fund. 

 

Willem Jewett continues to ask questions regarding the cost of the bridge.  There are three different prices from the same office. Donna Pidgeon will contact the Secretary of State.  Diane Benware will contact the League of Cities and Town to get advise.  Their found information will be shared at the next meeting.

 

Junk

Discussion:  The Leicester Store is not in compliance with their permit.  The board needs to know if the clean up specifics were verbal or written.

Action:  Donna Pidgeon will make copies of the permit for the select board. The next zoning meeting is Dec 21, 2006.  Any board member who can attend is encouraged to do so.

 

Signs

Discussion: The school principal wants to put up an enter here and an exit only sign. Cecile Todd stated that the traffic pattern for school buses and parents dropping off students did not make sense to her.  John McDonough suggested that a sign could be placed on a sawhorse. Concern was expressed that the signs would be irrelevant during the summer and the majority of the day.

 It was asked why the select board had to provide the sign.

Action: Principal Carol Eckles will be invited to the next meeting on December 18.

 

Budget Meetings

Discussion: Budget meetings will be warned in the papers, website, email and posted at the town shed and town office.  Check the town calendar for times and dates.

Please note the following meetings:

January 2  regular meeting

January 8 Budget Meeting

January 15 regular Meeting

January 22 Budget Meeting

January 25 Budget Work done.  Warning for town meeting

 

Other

Discussion:  Cecile Todd asked if the board was going to work on the J. Johnson Memorial Access Sign.  She hoped to get this issue settled.

 

Discussion:  Bob Oliver will install plastic to hold heat in the town hall building.  Two plungers are to be purchased for the restrooms.

 

Limited Public Opinion: none

 

Adjournment:  Meeting adjourned at 8:45.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Betty Wiedenbein

Secretary

 

Next meeting is December 18, 2006.