Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes


Monday, October 17, 2011




** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ken Young, Ron Fiske, Robert Oliver


Others Present:   Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, James Russo, Kate Briggs, Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 


Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed.


Approval of Minutes:  October 3, 2011:


Motion by Ron to approve minutes as written for October 3, 2011.  Second by Tom.   All in favor.  So approved.


Chair requested that the Secretary send minutes of PC & ZBA meetings to Selectboard.


Review/Authorize Payment of Bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures. 


Weight Permits:  None


Reports from Town Officials, Committees:


Town Clerk/Treasurer Report:


Julie explained the bills.  In the bills was the down-payment for the server.  They are re-wiring next week.  Also, in the bills, is a postage check for Secretary.  There are refunds for overpayment of taxes.


Delinquent taxes are at $110,866 for 2011 taxes.  $53,033 for 2010 and before.


Julie explained about the school budget.  Leicester School is completely paid and Otter Valley has been paid $300,000.  Town will need a loan earlier this year.


Julie met with the professional auditors last week and reviewed the financials.  They have made some adjustments and resent a draft.  We should have something in writing from them for our next board meeting.  There was discussion about capital asset thresholds.


Motion by Tom to set capital asset threshold level for all categories at $5,000.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.


Shelly Mason on Maple Run Road called to say Tropical Storm Irene damaged their spring.  Shelly wanted to know when the Selectboard meeting was and wanted to talk with the Board in reference to a culvert above their house that damaged their spring.  They now have to drill a well.


Toni Neri wanted to commend the Selectboard for allowing the appeal of the CLA. 


In turn, the Selectboard wanted to commend the Treasurer for taking the appeal on.


Health Officer:


Jim reported that there was nothing new to report.  November 10th is the date for the re-investigation of the infestation.


Lister Report:


Jim invited Julie to a meeting he had with Ed and Chris to discuss where they are going with the reappraisal and how certain data is going to be entered.  As a town, going forward, we want to be consistent with everyone.  The grand list is a main concern.  Jim will be working with Ed & Chris together on certain properties maintaining and reading the deeds to make sure they are separate taxable properties; instead of combining them.  Their main concern is around the lake properties.


There are not that many left for appointments.


The appraisers assessed the town buildings for Insurance purposes.  Chris measured the buildings for square footage and came up with the following:


·         Town Office $160,000 plus cost of vault

·         Town Barn   $108,000 plus salt garage $20,000 = $128,000

·         Town Hall    $250,000

·         Meeting House  $635,000


Jim will give this information to Julie.


Jim went to the Planning Commission meeting last week and introduced himself.



Zoning Administrator:


Kate and Ron are scheduled to go to an all day VLCT seminar on land water and local roles.  Timing is good due to town plan revisions.


Kate went to meet at ACRP for Zoning Administrators a couple weeks ago. 


Kate and Diane met about the Municipal Planning Grant.  Kate talked to Adam Lougee and they explained how to do the task, but Kate couldn’t deal with the system.  Diane will try to help.


Adam Lougee, Director of ACRP is meeting with our Planning Commission on Thursday, October 20th at 6:00 p.m. for the Land Use piece of the Town Plan.  Kate talked about the uphill portion of L2 be re-zoned and not be in L2, but be in the conservation district that requires 25 acres and development is a conditional use.


The Secretary will warn the special meeting on Thursday the 20th for the Land Use portion of the Town Plan revisions outside the Town Office, Town Shed and Leicester General Store.


Road Foreman Report:


Arlan reported that they got all their sand.  They are changing the hopper sander. 


He talked with the people from FEMA.  They took pictures.


Ken talked about the problems with Delorm Road and thinks that next year the road should be built up.  The ditches were not handling the water, but there were two rivers of water running on both sides the road and washing the road out.  No water was going into the ditch.  He stated that they need to be thinking about road maintenance and building in the budget for next year. 


Tom and Bob suggested notching some of the grass sides.


Cemetery Committee Report:  


Tom reported they had their last meeting until spring last Thursday.





The Chair thanked Anne of Foxcroft Farm Program for all the seasonal decorations at the Town Office and out front.  She will write a thank you.


Resignation from ZBA/PC:


Chair reported that Bethany Menkart resigned from the PC and ZBA effective October 10, 2011.


Motion by Tom to accept Bethany’s resignation.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.  Chair will send a note acknowledging her letter and thanking her for her time of service.


Motion by Tom to appoint Jim Russo to both the PC & ZBA.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved. 


There was discussion about numbers on each Board and about the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment possibly combine a meeting night; and still have two Chairs. 


Chair will put another request out there to see if someone would like to serve.




VLCT Insurance Renewal:


Jim provided information from the appraisers for our Town buildings.  Julie went over the renewal questions and answers; Phase I and Phase II.   Julie will remove contents in the salt shed.


The Board decided they would leave insurance at guaranteed replacement cost.


Town Shed:


Survey was done by Mike Magoon.  They need to locate the metal corner posts.  They may be flush with the ground.


Ken talked with Vermont Structural Buildings.  For the tin, four corners, closures, screws, etc. for $6,900.  Ken contacted someone in Sudbury about spray on insulation.  The ceiling would be 7,000 – 7,500 and the walls would be about $6,000.  Total for about $20,500.


Ron stated that you would cut your fuel bill by two thirds.


Further discussion of the possibilities for the Town Shed.


Motion by Tom to authorize Arlan to contact Mike Magoon to set wooden stake markers to indicate where corner posts are.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Tom to approve payment of bills.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.




November 1, 2011 attorneys are modifying their rates from $150 hr to $175 hr.  Chair signed schedule of billing rates and policies on behalf of the Town of Leicester.





Motion by Tom and second by Ron to go into Executive Session to discuss personnel at 8:57 p.m.   All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Ron and second by Ken to come out of Executive Session, no action taken at 9:02 p.m.  Motion to adjourn at 9:02 p.m.


Next Selectboard Meeting, Tuesday, November 8, 2011.



Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary