Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes


Monday, July 18, 2011




** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present:  Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Bob Oliver, Ken Young, Ron Fiske


Others Present:   Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, James Russo, Lisa Ventriss, Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 


Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed.  Added roadside brush and vines.


Approval of Minutes:  June 20, 23, 30, July 11, 2011


Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve June 20, 2011 minutes as written.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Ron and second by Tom to approve June 23, 2011 minutes as written.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Ken and second by Ron to approve June 30, 2011 minutes as written.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Tom and second by Ken to approve July 11, 2011 minutes with amended day of next meeting as Monday, July 18.  All in favor.  So approved.



Review/Authorize Payment of Bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures.  See motion to approve under “Other”.


Reports from Town Officials, Committees:


Town Clerk/Treasurer Report:


Julie brought hats to show for the 250 Event that will be sold for $10. 


Brian Webb has a dog report and his bill.


WCAX would like to come this week.


The plan is still that we will set the tax rate by the August 1st meeting.


Beth Ripley reported that there are seven properties listed for the tax sale on August 17th at 10:00 a.m.  She was happy to get $10,600 from the bank on one property.  If the property sells, the taxes are paid and the owner has a year to re-claim the property.


The culvert grant is at about $30,000 right now.  It doesn’t include anything this week or a few loads from SLC from last week. 


Road Foreman Report:


Discussion of marker posts and reflectors as guide posts while the road settles and cement sets on Old Jerusalem Road.


Tom mentioned vines and brush that need to be removed by LaPorte’s and McDonough’s.  There are other areas around town.  Arlan will check them out.


Ron mentioned brush along sides of the road that needs to be taken care of.  Arlan will check with Bagley for a price.


Zoning Administrator/Planning Report: 


The Planning Commission planned to do a presentation tonight, but Bethany was called out of town.  Kate hasn’t worked enough on the Plan to give you specific details as Donna and Bethany have been working with Claire Tebbs from Regional Planning, but in general, the Plan will be far more specific than the previous and really describe Leicester as of today.  The committee is on schedule.  The final and most difficult section is the Land Use section.  We would like to provide an overview for the board.  August 3rd, there will be an unwarned, informal public meeting.  We hope the process will be completed by the end of the year.


The Planning Commission will have a warned public meeting when the plan is done and then the Selectboard will have a warned public meeting to adopt.


Auditor Report:  None


Lister Report:   


Jim Russo reported that Jeff was still in the hospital, but should be home this week.


Reappraisal is going well.  Chris informed him they are bringing in another person.  Lake area is scheduled for the middle of August.  Five or six people will work with that.  They will be lodging the Grand List tomorrow. 


Cemetery Committee Report:   Met last Thursday.  Nothing to report


Weight Permits:  None


Julie asked where they were at with the sign inventory.  Ken and Ron will get back to that.


Lisa Ventriss attended and explained that she lives on the flats on Hooker Road and came tonight to talk about traffic control.  Not about the speed limit because the speed limit is 25.  The issue is related to law enforcement of the speed limit.  There are a lot of speeders.  The community is a fragile community getting from one side to the other.  She has put out handmade signs, the plastic men with flags, yellow caution signs.  Nothing works.  People either steal the signs or run over them.  She’s contacted the State Police.  People travel very fast on the road.  She tries to stop people and explain why they need to go slow.  Some drivers are understanding and some are not.


She is asking the Selectboard to look for signs that say “blind person”, “deaf person”, etc. and post them in that area.  The second request is to ask the Sheriff to sit and ticket people.  She would also like to request seasonal speed bumps for the summer season.  The neighbors might be able to pitch in for the expense.  Clearly what they have done with their own signs has not worked.  She’s worried that something is going to happen.


The Selectboard  filled out the change form for the Sheriff’s Department to request a change in their patrol location to Hooker Road north of Point Counter Point and Lake Dunmore Road to patrol and ticket speeders.


When Ron & Ken are doing the sign inventory, they will check for pedestrian signs.


Speed bumps may not be an option due to grading.


Lisa was grateful for the board’s time and consideration.




Ken reported that Mr. & Mrs. Robinson called and stated that they will hire an independent contractor to work on their property in regard to the water problem.


When Harry Chen closes his camp for the summer, we need to clean out about 100’ of ditch.  The plumber and Arlan can work together to make sure the pipe is buried properly.


Diane has some concerned citizens about increasing speed limits on Fern Lake Road.  There may be some petitions.  Diane will inquire some of their concerns with the attorney and ask for guidance.


Dog Issues:


Last Thursday, Brian took two boxers to the Humane Society.  He gave their owner a fine for not registering.  There are fees at the Human Society; as well.  Julie stated that they came in to register one dog and the other needs shots before it can be registered.  They won’t be able to take them back until they are vaccinated and registered and fees paid.


A Schwann’s delivery man was bitten by a Labradoodle.  According to the owner, the delivery man did not follow their instructions as to which door to come to.


Brian has been following up on dog bites, loose dogs and dog census/registrations.


Julie would like to recommend that Brian not be so lenient because the $2 late charge doesn’t mean anything to anyone. 


Cheryl Mann sent a payment in full to Jill.


Health Officer:


Kathy Eastwood is not interested in the Health Officer position, but will continue to be an assistant.


Action:  Diane will contact Ray to see if he has an interest.




Motion by Tom to approve payment of bills on 7/18/11.  Second by Ken.  All in favor.  So approved.


BCA meets this Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.


250 Committee:


Last planning session meeting, Thursday, 6:30 p.m.


Motion by Ron and second by Tom to adjourn at 8:15 p.m.   All in favor.  So approved.


Meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.


Next meeting, Monday, August 1, 2011.


Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary