Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Meeting Minutes

Town of Leicester

Selectboard Meeting Minutes


Monday, May 2, 2011




** See subsequent minutes for any changes


Members Present:  Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, Bob Oliver


Absent:  Ken Young


Others Present:   Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Donna Pidgeon, James Russo, Jeff Lee, Cecile Todd,  Sandra Trombley, Secretary


Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. 


Review of Agenda:  Agenda reviewed. 


Approval of Minutes of April 18, 2011 & April 25, 2011:


Motion by Tom to approve minutes of April 18, 2011 with following corrections. 

·         Under Cemetery Committee:  Julie didn’t purchase the flag for the cemetery, she is getting one donated from Willem Jewett.

·         Under Town Clerk/Treasurer:  Clarifying “it will save the taxpayers of the Town about $140,000”.  It should read, using 2010 rates and using 2010 grant list the CLA change would save the taxpayers about $140,000.

Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.


Motion by Ron to approve minutes of April 25, 2011 as written.  Second by Tom.  All in favor.  So approved.


Review/Authorize Payment of Bills:  Bills making their rounds for signatures. 


Calvin Loven would like to submit a bill for $150 for the work he did around the Senior Center.  He dug out all around and put in stone, dug up the stump.  He’s not submitting any labor, but only materials and equipment.


Motion by Ron to approve paying Cal $150 for materials and work involved in cleaning up around the Senior Center.  Second by Tom mentioning he’s not done yet.  All in favor.


Reports from Town Officials, Committees:



Lister Report:   


Jim Russo reported that they downloaded the current use list.  They have started working on it.


He talked with Ed at the TOEC Seminar regarding grievances coming up this year.  Ed has one day they could give us to handle grievances, May 26th from 10:00 – 4:00 and handling any changes in the computer for $600.  Listers would need to complete their work by May 12th.  The list would be lodged and notices sent out by May 12th.


Legal Ad needs to be placed in the newspaper, postings around town 14 days prior to May 26th and notices sent to landowners by certified mail.


Motion by Ron to authorize APAS to handle 2011 grievances on May 26 for the sum not to exceed $600 from the lister budget.  Second by Tom.  All in favor.  So approved.


Road Foreman:


Arlan reported that Scott has been sweeping and they have been doing some grading.


Town Clerk/Treasurer:



Julie reported that delinquent taxes are at $72,000; not including penalties and interest.


217 dogs registered. 


Julie clarified statements in the April 18th minutes about cemetery flag and CLA savings.  (See motion under minutes)


Discussion about bills.


Motion by Tom to not pay the request for $5.55 for numbers and letters.  Second by Ron.

All in favor.  So approved.


Julie had a report about a dead dog aside of Delorm road that appeared to be animal cruelty.  He tried calling the Sheriff’s Department who told him to call State Police who told him to call the Dog Warden, who didn’t answer. He came in to see Julie and Julie gave him Kim Schroeder’s number.  She called a couple other people.  Arlan happened to come in and   Arlan and Donna went down and took pictures.  It is definitely not a cruelty case and may not be a domesticated dog.  It has been dead for some time and decomposed.


Diane will contact Brian and confirm when he’s starting back.

There are a couple weight permits in the folder.


Milfoil Grant $29,080 for Lake Dunmore/Fern Lake Association.  Leicester is recipient and requires one signature on behalf of the town. 


The man from FireProtec came today and inspected all four buildings.  He will send his quote to Julie’s email.


The loan from the bank is not ready yet.  The bank representative informed that when signing the bank will need a copy of their driver’s license.  The loan will be valid through March 31st 2012 in case they need money.


Motion by Tom that 3 of the 5 Board members will come in to sign the bank loan agreement on behalf of the town when ready.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.


Auditor:  None


Cemetery Committee:   


Donna reported that they met in the cemetery on Friday to look at stones that needed repair.  Michael Magoon does have their mapping done.  There will be 12 rows in the unused section of the cemetery.  Michael has 24 rods 4 foot long that he would like to put on the end of each row north and south and string a line. 


Motion by Ron to authorize $2,000 to be paid to Michael Magoon for mapping and placement of rods and $1,620 to Don Durkee for cleaning of the stones.  Said funds to come from cemetery restricted fun.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.


Weight Permits:


Arlan reviewed and approved weight permits for Delphia Excavating and Jim Newton.  Bob signed.


Appointment of Fire Warden:


Motion by Tom to reappoint Rick Nicklaw as fire warden pending his signature.  Second by Bob.  All in favor.  So approved.


Discussion about reporting fires in town.


Developing Financial Policies:


Discussion of policies and procedures: purpose, outline, identified.  Discussion of purchasing and bidding.


Julie recommended they pick “one” at a time and focus on it.


Julie will come up with a list for review for the 1st meeting in June. 





Dog Complaint:  Order to Sign:


Diane took background information and meeting minutes and came up with the Findings of Fact & Conclusion of Law & Order dated April 26, 2011.  Three board members signed.  Julie will mail.




250 Committee Update:


Meeting next Wednesday.  Event to be held July 23rd.  Still looking for someone to roast pigs.  Working on entertainment and activities for all ages.  Harvest Program and Leicester School are working together on beautification.


Green Up Day:


Green Up Day on Saturday.  When people bring a bag of green up things to the recycling center they get a ticket.  They can bring their ticket back to the Senior Center for a free hot dog, chips, soda and brownies.  The ticket will be entered into a raffle.




FYI:  Way to Go Challenge starting May 16th.


Bridge inspection report.


Limited Public Opinion:  None


Motion by Bob to adjourn at 7:46 p.m.  Second by Ron.  All in favor.  So approved.


Next meeting, Monday, May 16, 2011.



 Respectfully submitted,



Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary