Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 10-16-2023

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 16, 2023
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Diane Randall, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, John Rouse
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Robbie Devoid, Lesley Bienvenue, Lindsey & Ben Francoeur, Sandra Trombley
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda: Added OCW personnel, Francoeur 
 Lindsey and Ben Francoeur came to ask how they go about getting a wheelchair sign on their road to help slow cars down.
There was discussion about getting two signs.
Board was in favor of Arlan ordering two signs.  Arlan will look into ordering the two signs.  He said they have the posts.
Approval of October 2, 2023, Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by John to approve minutes of October 2, 2023, as written.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Diane R. authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that there is an appeal coming to the decision of the DRB about the decision of the Zoning Administrator between the Churchill and Malloy property.  The DRB sided with the Zoning Administrator.  It is now going to Environmental Court.
Julie would like to have the Royal Group come to key the shed to go with the rest of the keys, fix the office door lock and get an extra key.
Julie spoke to the Railroad Engineer about the pavement markings.  He told Julie that the town is responsible for the railroad marking and the railroad is responsible for the stop bar.  
Julie will drive down and look at the Junction and Old Jerusalem Road and see what markings are there.
Lister Error & Omissions: 
They added a Veteran’s Exemption.
Update From Sheriff’s Department:
Sheriff reported that unpaid municipal tickets will eventually go to collections for tax offsets.  The state no longer suspends driver’s licenses for municipal tickets. 
They sent Julie the ordinance for park and ride for Middlebury, but that is for municipal parkingparking. They gave Julie some towns that have park and ridesrides, but she hasn’t had a chance to call them to see if the have a specific ordinance for a park and ride.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported they finished the sand pile today and graded one day last week and hauled some gravel and filled some holes.
Animal Control Officer:
Robbie reported that last week they had a skunk chasing a resident on Indian Trail.  The game warden didn’t want to bother testing it.  Robbie advised the homeowner to get someone to dispose of it and they did.
Robbie reported he got a call about neglected animals on Fernville Road.  Robbie went there and there was no appearance of neglect.  An odd mix of animals.  He made some recommendations.  He will go back and check in.
OCW Personnel:
Brad reported he will no longer be Treasurer as of next month.  Lynn Peck will be the new Treasurer and Bookkeeper.  John Rouse resigned effective immediately.  Brad will be going to Alternate.
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to nominate Lynn Peck as the Leicester Representative and Brad as Alternate on the OCW.  4 yes and 1 abstention (Brad).
Fire Department Discussion:
John reported that Salisbury is mutual aid with BrandonBrandon, and they do the carbon test at Salisbury school and could do that.  Salisbury has decided, at this timecurrently, they do not have enough personnel to consider doing Leicester.at this time  They thanked the Board for considering them.
Diane will contact Tom Kilpeck in regard toregarding the Fire Department Contract.  The Board was hoping for a discount or possible negotiation.
Weight Permit:  None
Diane reviewed the correspondence file.
  • Road Salt Storage Facilities may affect Lake Champlain
  • State Government Municipal Day Workshops for VT Local Officials 10/20/23.
  • GMP – 0% outages by 2030
  • Recovery Housing
  • Update Inventory on Culverts & Road Erosion
  • Transportation Alternative and Stormwater Grant Dollars
  • Cleaner Fuel & Air
John asked about the homeless person at the school.
Diane R. reported that the Sheriff and State Police camecame to the school.  Rescue was calledcalled, and rescue cametransported him.
Lesley B. reported on the research she did on the library.   89 citizens use the Brandon Library.  $2.50 per capitaus;which comes to $222.50.  Leicester is allocating $2,500 to the Brandon Library. For out of towners, there is a yearly fee of $20, which is optional for hardship situations.  Lesley feels the town is paying way too much money.  Ilsley is $45 for an annual membership fee.  Ilsley is working on getting her numbers for how many are using their library.  The Director will get back to her with the number.
Lesley was asking about the Junk Ordinance and how to file a complaint. 
Diane stated she should make the complaint to the Board.
Leslie gave the Board two names.  An old tenant who was dumping their trash on the back corner of their property which is really on her property.  She found a couple more bags of trash.  On the opposite end there is a bunch of toys and fishing goods.  It’s all just piling up.  
Diane will check to see what the definition of junk is and check to see if it meets the junk ordinance criteria.
Executive Session:
Motion by John and second by Tom to go into Executive Session at 7:07 p.m. for possible legal matter and security measures.
Motion by Tom and second by John to come out of Executive Session at 7:48 with no action taken. 
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:48 p.m.  
Next meeting Monday, November 6, 2023 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary