Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 06-06-2022

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, June 6, 2022
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Diane Randall, Brad Lawes, John Rouse, Tom Barker
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  
Approval of May 16, 2022 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Diane R. to approve minutes of May 16, 2022 as written.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Brad authorizing Julie to pay invoice for Allen Pidgeon and the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Diane asked Arlan about culverts and other storm damage.  
Arlan reported that the storm water undermined the road half way across over by the Town Shed and completely undermined the culvert at the bottom of Swinington Hill.
The driveway was washed out at Bruce Jerome’s.
Arlan reported that there was a lot more storm damage than Salisbury, Brandon or other towns.  They hauled a lot of gravel and stone, put in culverts, and did ditching on Shackett Road.  They worked about seven days to fix things and the rest of the time was ditching on the Shackett Road.  
Arlan has the paperwork for the sanders.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Paperwork was completed which allowed Allen Pidgeon to help haul gravel.  Julie provided the contract that requires signatures from the Board.  
The contract paperwork was signed and a motion was made to pay the invoice.
There has been no FEMA declaration for the storm damage.  The town assumes the costs.
Weight Permits:
There was one signed weight permit.
  •   Hazard Mitigation Funding
  •   Flood Resilient Communities
  •   Funding for Municipal Projects
  •   ACRP Local Cooling Site Info 
  •   DMV Additional Patrols During Work Zones
  •   Spotted Lantern Fly
  •   Champlain Valley Head Start Programs Available
  •   Governor’s Office: High Speed Internet & Broadband Grants
Highway Equipment Sanders:
Arlan has two quotes for sanders.  Prices have gone up considerably.  The problem is getting them.
The quote from Viking-Cives for a Swenson 10’ 7-yard Stainless Steel V-box Spreader for $27,300 and a Tailgate Spreader for $7,200 for a total of $34,500.  Quote is good until July 3rd.
The quote from HP Fairfield for a Stainless Steel Hopper V-Box Spreader for $26,595 and a Tailgate Spreader for $7,595 for a total of $34,190.  Quote is good until June 16th.
Arlan will get more information about availability timeframe to get them.
Board authorized Arlan to place calls to Viking-Cives & HP Fairfield to inquire about the time frame to get these sanders.
Julie will investigate with VLCT whether sanders could be purchased from the ARPA Funds and what requirements need to be met.
Discussion about scrapping the old sanders. 
Shelly Mason – Storm Damage:
John talked with Shelly about the storm damage to Shelly’s house and washed out their driveway.  Arlan went there but was never able to talk with Shelly personally.
Board approved to set up a fact-finding meeting with Shelly Mason.
Old Jerusalem Road Bridge:
Julie reported that the State decided to do their coordination meeting by e-mail.  
Julie talked with the gentleman from Casella Construction who has been very helpful.  
The last day of school is June 14th and it’s a half day.  They have agreed to keep the road open for full traffic, with possible delays due to moving in equipment, until the June 13th.  On June 14th, the bus may go through in the morning and at lunch time and when it comes back through at lunch time, that will be it; road is closed until end of September.
They are starting to move equipment in on June 7th.
Arlan will put up signs.
Roadside Mowing:
Lem asked about continuing the roadside mowing.  Board agreed to start anytime.  Diane will let Lem know to keep mowing Bullock Road and the rest of Old Jerusalem Road, first.
Grand List Extension:
Julie provided a 30-day Extension Letter for Jill Remick.  Diane signed on behalf of the Selectboard.
Financial Management Questionnaire:
Julie provided the Annual Financial Management Questionnaire from the State Auditor’s Office.  Board signed.
Roads Grant:
Diane signed the 2023 Municipal Roads Grants & Aid Program Letter of Intent to participate. 
Silver Lake Hut:
The Moosalamoo Association and the Vermont Hut Association sent a scoping report indicating Leicester as an interested party.  It is a 2-story hut which holds 10 people and will have propane heat; off the Leicester Hollow Trail.
There is a public meeting Wednesday evening at 6:00 p.m., downstairs in the Conference Room below Café Provence. Covered on Peg TV.  Public comment period of 45 days.
Leicester has not been contacted in any way.  Leicester is not included in the plan. 
There was much discussion and the Board is not happy about this plan.
Diane and Julie plan to attend the meeting.  
Motion by Tom and second by John to not support the Silver Lake Hut Proposal due to concerns for emergency services; such as fire and rescue, concerns for arson and vandalism, town’s liability, concern for the unspoiled natural beauty of the forest and lake.  All in favor.  So, approved.
At the next Selectboard meeting Board will draft a response.
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 8:00 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, June 20, 2022
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary