Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 12-18-23

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, December 18, 2023
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Diane Randall, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, John Rouse
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Rob Devoid, Tom Kilpeck, Sandra Trombley
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  
Approval of December 4, 2023, minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by John to approve minutes of December 4, 2023, as written.  4 yes 1 abstention (Brad) So, approved.
Motion by Brad and second by John to allow Julie to pay remaining 2023 bills as they come in prior to next meeting.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan stated there was a little water damage on the Bullock Road today.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported there was a bunch of rain today.  The drain couldn’t keep up with the rain in the parking lot driveway so the water needed to be shut off at the school because it flooded out the leach field which meant the septic couldn’t go out of the tank in the town office.  The water couldn’t go out of the building.  The water has gone down so hopefully by morning they can turn the water back on.
Julie got the quote for the cameras.
Keith talked with Lindsay D’Avignon about joining the DRB.  Julie provided Lindsay’s letter of interest to the Selectboard.  The DRB met and were recommending her.
Motion by Tom and second by John to approve Lindsay D’Avignon for the DRB Delegate position effective immediately.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Julie got the letter from Otter Creek Watershed that Leicester’s assessment next year is $25,997 and payments are to be made on a quarterly basis and payments to be made at the end of each quarter.  
There was further discussion about how Leicester will pay versus other towns.  
Julie will respond to them to explain calendar year and fiscal year differences.
Animal Control Officer:
Rob stated that it has been quiet; with some wildlife calls redirected to the game warden.
Chair passing around file:
  •       Webinar Electric Vehicles
  •       Climate Economy Resilience Grants
  •       PFAS Road Map
  •       Mobile Sports Wagering Launch in January
  •       US DOT Funding Resources Rebuilding Infrastructure
Fire Protection:
Tom Kilpeck, Brandon Fire Chief, provided a four-year contract at $48,000.
There was discussion and questions about data on the calls.
John supports all local fire departments but shared his concerns about the number of calls in the report and the man hours involved with little detail about the calls.  He was looking for more explanation.  Explanations are vague.
Tom explained that the numbers of personnel in the report are a little skewed as it only accounts for the people assigned to a vehicle and it doesn’t account for anyone in-station.
All responders are accounted for in the payroll.  Any call out, no matter how small, is a one-hour minimum call.  It’s an all alert.  If ten respond and four go on the call and six remain at the fire house to respond, if necessary, ten are in payroll.  You never know how many will respond; and if necessary, mutual aid will be called.  There are no full-time staff; all on-call.  Staff are paid at minimum wage.  Tom has three guys in Fire 1 training now for 200+ hours.
There was further discussion about the process and dispatching from the Westminster 911. 
John asked if other towns were on a per call basis.
Tom stated that Goshen just entered a contract with the Brandon Fire Department.  They were on a per call basis in the past.
Tom explained that each call out is individual and time on each call varies.
Brad asked if there could be any movement on the contract amount.  It’s about a 20% increase.
There was more discussion.
Motion by Diane B. and second by Diane R. to sign the four-year contract at $48,000.  4 yes, 1 no.  So, approved.  Board signed contract.
Diane asked Tom to provide his report for the Leicester Town Report.
John reported on the information he was asked to get for the school and town office on generators from Taylor Rental.  They sell three generators.  They recommend the 26-kilowatt based on the information he gave them, and they recommend getting an electrician in here to go through everything.  The school would need two generators, or a bigger one which Taylor doesn’t sell.  The biggest generator they sell is $8,000 for just the generator.  Electrical work would be an additional cost.  If they decide to go with Taylor Rental, the earliest they could do something would be July or August 2024 because they are so far behind.
Julie will contact Glenn Peck for evaluation of electrical needs and a quote on a generator; as well.
Preliminary 2024 Budget Thoughts:
Lem told Julie and he wants $65 hour for roadside mowing.
Tom will call Gus.
Tom stated that Van Denton was thinking about a 3% increase.  He was also thinking the town might like to charge $1 per bag for recycling.  Board did not think it was a good idea.
Review the Sheriff’s contract at next meeting.
Security Cameras:
Rick Scott provided his proposal for security cameras.  
No action taken.
Motion by John and second by Brad to authorize Julie to spend up to $1,000 for surveillance equipment.
4 yes, 1 no.  So, approved.
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to adjourn at 7:56 p.m.
Next meeting Tuesday, January 2, 2024
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra Trombley