Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 05-17-2021

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 17, 2021
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, Brad Lawes
Members Absent: John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Daniel Loundsbury, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Added Executive Session for Potential Legal Matters
Approval of May 3, 2021 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve minutes of May 3, 2021 as written.  3 Yes   1 Abstention (Brad) So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan did not have anything to report.
Tom informed Arlan about six or eight trees on Maple Run Road that need attention.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie asked Arlan when the hay bale shredder was coming.  When Julie gets the invoice for the hay bale shredder, she would like to get approval to pay the invoice before the end of this month.
Motion by Brad and second by Ron to authorize Julie to pay hay bale shredder invoice to meet the May 30 deadline.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Julie reported that Lorraine Johnson sent a notice that she has notified the State that she will be closing her trailer park. She will let Selectboard know the details.
Julie reported the change in the mask mandate and social distancing for vaccinated people.  If you are a vaccinated employee, you are not required to wear a mask and not required to social distance.  If you are an unvaccinated employee, you are required to wear a mask and required to social distance.
Julie stated she is not policing who is or is not vaccinated and they need to responsibly follow the guidelines.
Julie mentioned there were questions on the status of the town building availability.  There is still an issue with water and Covid requirements.  Julie has not heard about the status of the water problem.
Brad wants to use one of the buildings for the BLSG meeting on Thursday.  They won’t need the water. 
Diane stated that she would prefer they use the brick building so they could meet Covid requirements.
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to approve the use of the brick building for the BLSG meeting.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Julie presented a loan document for the Board to sign. 
Julie reported a notice from their bank that because the Federal Reserve interest is continuing to near zero, they are dropping interest rates on town accounts.
Arlan looked at the Access Permit for the property off Isthmus Road and was good with it.  
Arlan and Brad signed the permit.
Julie reported that there is an ARPA money webinar tomorrow to hopefully help clear up questions and offer guidance on how towns can use the money.  At the moment, Julie cannot see anything they can spend it on; except broadband.  Right now; it’s water and waste water, broadband and essential workers like EMS, none of which they have.
Daniel Loundsbury:
Julie clarified with the Board that the permit was done in 2008 and it was not followed through on with deeds and the permit was only good for two years, so Mr. Loundsbury would have to redo a permit.  Julie explained to Mr. Loundsbury that the Board would probably not be able to help him.  She explained that it is not what the Selectboard does.  Daniel still wanted to come meet with the Board.
At 6:45, Mr. Daniel Loundsbury, 1866 Hooker Road came in to discuss an issue with the property boundary dispute to the Board. 
Mr. Loundsbury explained the problem with a property swap and that he owes property taxes on the property.  The permit was approved, but deeds were not done.  Both his parents have passed away.
Julie explained that the town doesn’t do deeds and that his parents and Brendan would have had to each do a deed and that did not get done. 
Ron explained that a land swap has to be done with lawyers, the Town cannot do that.
Tom mentioned that he might get some relief or leeway on the taxes by going through a tax abatement.  Tom suggested he talk with the delinquent tax collector.
Diane explained that the responsibility of finalizing the plat resided with Daniel’s parents and the LaRock’s.  Diane explained that the town has no responsibility.  Andrew was waiting for legal documents to finalize the plat.
Daniel thanked the Board for their time.  Board wished him good luck.
Weight Permits:
Arlan signed one weight permit.
Diane reviewed correspondence.
  •       Arbor Day
  •       Pavement Preservation
  •       Covid-19 Emergency Management Survey
  •       Water Investment Division
  •       Emerald Ash Borer Webinar May 20th
  •       Rural Fire Protection Task Force
  •       Create VT
  •       USDA Grant to offset energy cost
  •       Aging & Senior Care
Traffic Monitoring Devices:
Tom went out to sites for information.  One particular site caught his eye.  He emailed it to everyone, but apparently no one received the email. 
Tom talked with someone on the phone about one that was:
  •       15” wide x 18” tall that set up on a post with their own solar panel.  They were computerized so you could retrieve data information from the cloud, blinking lights with a message.  
  •       $1,800 plus shipping and maybe better price for more than one.
  •       Below you put a speed limit sign and it shows you how fast you are going
Julie got four sites from Brian Sanderson.  Two of the sites would only quote you and two; you could look at the prices.  She hasn’t called anyone yet.
Diane had information from the Sheriff’s Office.
Tom will email the information again; since no one received his original email.
Brad was wondering if they should consider a trailer to move them around.
Diane will bring this topic up again at the next meeting.  Diane thanked everyone for doing their research.
Dealing with Illegal Dumping:
Diane reported Leicester turned in 1.6 ton of Green Up material; which was more than Middlebury at 1.3.
Bridport has 95 miles of road compared to Leicester’s 24 miles.  Leicester had more trash and tires than Bridport.
People have been leaving garbage at the Town Shed and someone took down the lime green sign that Diane put up.  Van said there was 12 or 15 bags left.
The Sheriff put up a camera.  Diane will contact Peter to see photos on the camera.  Hopefully they can catch whoever is doing this dumping.
Diane and Julie shared their frustrations that this year has been the worst ever for Green Up.
Brad mentioned the use of motion cameras.
Julie reported that there has been mudding going on again on Bullock Road. 
There have been 4 wheelers and side x side’s gassing up at the store and then spinning out and doing wheelies on Route 7.
Ron stated that kids have been partying down by the creek.  Lots of cars and parties side the road.  May be some of that is contributing to trash.
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to go into Executive Session to discuss potential legal matters at 7:24 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to come out of Executive Session at 8:02 p.m. with no action taken.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Ron and second by Tom to adjourn at 8:02 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, June 7, 2021 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary