Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 05-16-22

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 16, 2022
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, John Rouse, Tom Barker
Members Absent:  Diane Randall
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  
Approval of May 2, 2022 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by John to approve minutes of May 2, 2022 as written.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Tom. authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported that Mindy Currier called about her blocked, crushed culvert on the west end of Cram Road.  Culvert is too short and needs ditching.  
Brad asked who was responsible.  Tom reminded everyone that the property owner puts in the first culvert and the town thereafter.  Arlan agreed town was responsible for a new culvert.
Arlan will put her on the list.  The road damage will require fixing first.
Photos need to be taken of all the road damage in case it becomes a FEMA declaration.
Julie reported that the railroad finally answered her about the crossing complaint and stated that the railroad and Amtrak are looking into this to see if gates are needed.  Julie will contact him again at the end of the week.
Julie reported that if the town wants to get a generator for the school and town with ARPA funds; it is acceptable.
Julie received another suggestion for using ARPA funds.
  •       Local community solar array which could serve local residents and town offices; as well.
o   Jeremy Gildrien had several options.
Julie reported she received the Milfoil Grant for $15,000.
Julie reported grievances for the Listers are going to be held on June 14th.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported Shackett Road has sustained quite a bit of damage from the hard rain.  Other roads require some work but not as much as Shackett Road.
Arlan will go see Shelly Mason about her property damage.
Arlan talked with Mike Winslow about Hooker Road.  Some work has already been done.  There is a big pine tree that is about 90’ tall and up on the bank.  Arlan is going over with the excavator to look at it, but if he doesn’t like it, they may have to hire someone to take it down.
There was a fire on Hooker Road.  Salisbury and Brandon Fire Departments responded.  They think someone drove by and threw out a cigarette into the brush.
Arlan reported he cleaned the ditch by Mark Stacey’s.
Julie called and talked with Carolyn about the Old Jerusalem Road closure.  She wasn’t much help.  
Julie explained Detour signage is necessary.  She’s going to put it on Front Porch Forum.  Julie will send letters.
Weight Permits:
There were two signed weight permits.
  •       Finding and using VT LiDAR May 26th from 11:00 – 12:00 Webinar
  •       VT Emergency Management Day of Learning @ Lake Morey next Thursday
  •       Downtown Historic Preservation Conference June 9th
  •       Forest Webinar May 18th
  •       Vermont Community Foundation Annual Meeting, Tuesday, June 21st @ Echo
  •       Bill Heath Note re: Campaign Manager for Charlie Kimball’s run for Lt. Gov.
Highway Equipment Sanders:
Arlan had two quotes for sanders.  Prices have gone up considerably.  The trouble is getting them.
One quote from Viking was for a Tarco Sander for $25,000.  Arlan has never used a Tarco; and he would want to see one before recommending it.  
The second quote was for a Swenson for $26,595.
Diane will put this on a later agenda so Arlan can report back to the Board with information and recommendation.
Green Up Day Wrap-up:
Diane reported another successful Green Up this year.  This year Leicester came in second.  1.09 tons of trash and 1.36 tons of tires.
Road & Bridge Standards.  Annual Plan:
Board signed the Road & Bridge Standards and the Annual Plan.
Hazard Mitigation Plan:
Diane signed and initialed the Building Infrastructure & Communities Grant for $7,612.50.
Maple Broadband Audit was received and can be reviewed.
Garbage Complaints:
Julie got a call about garbage on 51 Indian Trail.  Cree spoke with Larry and they are going to meet next week and he knows what he needs to do.  Lorraine is aware.  John has been looking for him.
Diane spoke with Cree about the Cram Road property situation.  They won’t allow the Health Officer on the property.  
Julie will draft a letter on behalf of the Selectboard for the Board’s review at the next meeting.
Julie has had a lot of messages and comments about the Junction property.  Discussion about the property in the past and present.  Diane will talk with Cree.
Jenna Lane health order property was sold at tax sale.
John reported he looked at the buildings and they need some work.  He thinks there is a roof leak in the White Building by the chimney and closets and some other issues with the Brick Building.
John reported the side door to the brick building was wide open.  Julie will let the school know.  The door was locked but open.   Julie thought it wasn’t totally latched and the wind must have blown it open.
John will email the Board with his observations and findings. 
Town Shed:
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:58 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, June 6, 2022 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary