Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 8-01-2022

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, August 15, 2022
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker
Members Absent:  Diane Randall, John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda 
Approval of August 1, 2022 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Diane B. to approve minutes of August 1, 2022 as written.  All in favor.  So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Brad and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that he hauled some sand and put in a culvert on Shackett Road on the driveway and did some ditching back as far as Hanson’s driveway.
Arlan reported they put up the two poles for the speed signs.
Julie stated that John was not here tonight but left some information with her to share.  John told Julie the speed sign that is on the triangle; where Fern Lake Road and Lake Dunmore Road meet, is working well and flashing.
Tom shared his concerns about the sign being in that triangle location.  There was discussion about the need to move the sign to a better location.
Julie stated that there is already a resident with a concern about the location of the other sign and blocking their view.  This sign needs to be moved; as well.
Tom shared the reasons for placing the poles where they did.
Arlan and Tom will look things over and work with John to determine different locations.
Julie stated that speeders have been reported on Shackett Road, Hooker Road and the Lake Dunmore Road.
Tom stated that Hooker Road is always a problem because it is so narrow, but in about another month there will be less traffic and should be better.
Arlan got two pipes from Mac Steel that were more rugged than they needed to be for the speed signs. 
Arlan will inquire about 4” aluminum pipe.  Installing more pipes would give the ability to move the speed signs, when necessary.
Arlan cleaned the culvert on Ken Young’s property.  Very few sticks; and mostly mud.
Arlan reported that Gary will be at least two weeks before paving Swinington Hill Road.
Julie stated that John took the camera from the Town Shed and put it at the Fern Lake Access due to garbage being dumped there.
Julie reported that the Town of Brandon has the giant Stop Bar Stencils and will lend them to Leicester and John will get the paint.
Julie reported that the hedges at Bridgmon’s have grown into the stop sign area again.  
Arlan will clip the hedges.
Julie recommends painting the stop bar from Swinington Hill Road at stop sign.  She was almost hit again.  No one stops there.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported she had the Primary Election and will have another election in November.
Julie reported that there was a single car crash on August 5th by the Whiting town line.  They drove into the guardrails.  The quote to repair is $1,100 if the anchor is not a problem and $2,200 if the anchor is a problem.  Julie will contact the insurance company for payment to fix the guardrails.
Julie shared concerns about the race this past weekend.  There were runners and bikers on both sides of the road.  Julie was provided some video.  John’s wife was held up for thirty minutes trying to get through.
Julie questioned what gives the race the right to stop the traffic flow. 
The Board discussed the safety issues of having bikers and runners at the same time.
Arlan went down to see the bridge work.  They were working on the south side.  They have the 4” cement pads on both sides to set their forms on.   Photos are being taken and will be shared.
Weight Permits:
Buildings/Grounds Update:
Gus has completed some of his work.
Fyles sent a contract to sign for propane.  The White Building and Town Shed use propane.
Two options:  
Fixed Rate 2.05 per gallon.
Fixed Margin: market price at time of delivery and price will go up and down with the market.  
Motion by Tom and second by Brad to sign the Fyles contract at $2.05 for locked in price for propane.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Cemetery Recommendations:
Tom thanked Barry and Julie for the 16 yards of topsoil for the cemetery.  
Brad offered to donate seed and fertilizer.
Julie reminded them that if weed killer is ever going to be used in the cemetery, we need to notify the neighbor in advance.
Set Tax Rate:
Julie reported the tax rates:
Residential:  1.6944
Non-Residential:  1.8961
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to approve the tax rate and to waive the late homestead filer penalty.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:35 p.m.
Next meeting:  Tuesday, September 6, 2022
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary