Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 06-21-21

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, June 21, 2021
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Tom Barker, Brad Lawes, Ron Fiske, John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda:  Added Internal Financial Control Form, Animal Control and Cemetery
Approval of June 7, 2021 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by John to approve minutes of June 7, 2021 as written.  4 Yes and 1 Abstention (Brad) So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by John and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported that he called about the hay bale chopper.  They haven’t received any yet. 
Arlan wants Mike to look at and approve what has been done.
Arlan reported there is a big tall pine by Malinowski’s.  Arlan will check it out to see if he can take it down.
Arlan will investigate culvert work to see if they can bypass the traffic.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie sent out a bunch of delinquent dog license cards.  If they are not registered by next Monday, she will send a list to Carlie so she can start following up.
Julie reported that UTV’s are becoming a problem; driving up and down the regular roads.  There are a few of them.
Julie will ask the Sheriff if he got pictures of them over at the Town Shed.
ARPA, they have opened a new portal to sign up to get ARPA dollars with a whole list of terms and conditions to agree to.  
Julie reported that at the next meeting the Board needs to sign the documents and appoint an authorized representative that will be in charge of authorizing town to get it and a contact person that does the portal.  
Julie reported that the Town will get about $56,000 which will be about the end of August.  The county part which is over $100,000 will be later this year.
A few things that can be covered:
  •       Digitization of records
  •       A stand-alone well for Town Office 
  •       MRGP Program work
  •       Broadband
They recommend to be patient and don’t spend the town money right away and wait until the state determines where the money is going.
Julie reported you have a lot of time to spend the money.
Tom reported that Gus offered to fix the spots that were spun up in the cemetery.  It’s been so dry.
There was discussion about the cemetery.  Gus will not mow as often.
Board suggested to wait until the end of July to discuss the next steps.
Internal Financial Control Form for Municipalities:
Diane signed the Internal Financial Control Form for Municipalities on behalf of the Board.
Weight Permits:
Arlan signed two weight permit.
Diane reviewed correspondence.
  •       Lane Culverts
  •       Telecommunication Plan
  •       Vaccines
  •       Vermont Local Roads
  •       LDFLA:  Dave Johnson, VP Water Quality Committee:  Update on Hooker Road and Fern Lake Access
Traffic Monitoring Devices:
Brad and Tom reported that the salesman, Mark Gregory, brought two solar powered monitoring devices.  
Brad thinks it would be worth giving them a shot. 
There was discussion about all the features and benefits of the units which are programmable.
First year is free to store information to the Cloud.
There are funds available in the equipment budget.
Motion by John and second by Ron to authorize Tom to contact Mr. Gregory to indicate that we are interested in purchasing two or more units with funds out of the equipment fund.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Health Order Status:
Diane reported that Cree was here last meeting and informed us that she was submitting an Intent to File a Health Order.  The Sheriff did serve the papers.
The next step is to create the Health Order which Julie has been working really hard on.  These Orders are not that common.  There is not much guidance out there.
Diane contacted Jim Carroll and he has offered suggestions and recommendations for a Public Health Order.  
Motion by Brad and second by Tom to use this language “find, based on information provided by the duly appointed local Health Officer, that a public health hazard exists at property owned by Tina Taylor, located at 32 Jenna Lane in Leicester and that the Board approves the preparation and issuance of written findings, conclusions and an Order based on its deliberations with the assistance of Counsel”.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Dealing with Junk/Trash:
Julie reported in regard to the garbage Ron picked up.  The Sheriff wasn’t there when Ron went up, but the secretary said they would look into it.
Julie received a call from the person who had the identifiable information in the dumped garbage that Ron picked up.  She said she would contact the Sheriff’s Department.
Julie feels they need to crack down on this huge problem.  Need to put up cameras.
Fern Lake Access Concerns:
Julie was alerted to complaints about trash at the Fern Lake Access.  Front Porch Forum was going crazy about it.  There were photos from two different people on two different days.  
The trashcan needs to be removed.  There should be a sign put up about illegal dumping.
Animal Control Officer:
Letter was read by Chair from Carlie about training a temporary replacement for her due to her pregnancy.  
Diane will talk with Salisbury to coordinate between the towns.  
Diane will talk with Carlie and ask the young man to meet the Board at the next meeting.
Town Shed:
Motion by John to adjourn at 8:00 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, July 5, 2021 
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary