Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 12-05-2022

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, December 5, 2022
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Diane Randall, Tom Barker
Members Absent:  John Rouse, Brad Lawes 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Robbie Devoid, Sandra Trombley
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda 
Approval of November 11, 2022 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Diane R. to approve minutes of November 21, 2022 as written.  All in favor. So, approved. 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
Motion by Tom and second by Diane R. authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported he got the new the sanders.  Arlan wasn’t thrilled with the quality of the sanders compared to years past.
Arlan reported the Bullock Road was open.
Julie sent the approval letter for the bridge stating that the Board was not going to sign it until all the things on the bucket list were done.  Holding their acceptance until spring.  She forwarded that to the engineer. 
Arlan reported the salt was full 
Tom reported some ruts on Shackett Road that needs to be looked at.
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie reported she finished the milfoil grant and almost done the FY22 grant.
Julie reported she is still waiting for them to fix the guardrail where the accident happened.  She doesn’t have an invoice.  She has the check to pay it when she receives the invoice.
Weight Permits:  None
Diane reported that Steve Hare of Vermont Sun left a message on her machine today; saying he deeply appreciated their comments that were brought forward and it caused him and others to do some re-thinking about some of their protocols.  He stated that they are looking out for participant’s safety; as well as, resident’s safety.  He said signs and flashing lights are coming.
Diane R. thinks it is good for the Board to check in with Steve every so often.
Diane R. asked if they should let the residents know about this at town meeting.  
Tom stated that; if they ask.
Chair stated that the Board can add something to the Town Report stating that safety measures have been taken.
Animal Control:
Diane reported that Robbie is coming around 7:00 p.m.  He met with Salisbury.  They found him to be agreeable to try the job.  Salisbury has offered a crate.
Tom questioned longevity, but was agreeable to give Robbie a try.
Tom reported there is a crate at the Town Shed and John may have the catch pole and magnets for vehicles.
Before Robbie arrived, the Board was agreeable to appoint him, but need to clarify the responsibilities to him.  
Robbie arrived and brought the Board up-to-date with meeting with the Salisbury Board.  
The Board clarified with Robbie that it could be more than just dogs; but mostly dogs.  Board wanted to make that clear.  They shared some scenarios with Robbie.
Robbie is willing to take any training classes offered.
Diane R. asked him a hypothetical question; about seeing animals in the winter with no shelter and frozen water.  
Robbie answered he would use some common sense, tactful approach to the situation in making sure the animal has basic necessities.
Diane R. stated how important it was that he identify himself.  
Julie gave him a badge, the Big Book of Woof, Dog Ordinance and tax forms.  There are some magnets for the doors of a vehicle to be located.  Most likely John has them. 
Julie mentioned the legal implications of taking a dog from its owner.  You must get a warrant.
Diane R. suggested he ask for opinions and follow up with Board when necessary.
Diane B. stated that John; as a former ACO would be a good resource; as well as, the State Police and Homeward Bound.  Diane B. reminded him that he is working on behalf of the town.
Motion by Tom and second by Diane Randall to appoint Robbie Devoid as the Animal Control Officer; to be paid at a rate of $18 an hour.  All in favor.  So, approved.
The Board stated he’s always welcome at the Selectboard meetings, but they only request he come and report when/if there has been an incident or he has questions.
Tom brought up a dog census is needed.  
Board thanked Robbie for coming.
Diane R. had a few follow up questions.  
She asked about the junk in the woods near the school playground.  Now that the leaves are gone, it’s very visible.
Julie will talk with Keith.  The last Julie heard, the state junk yard person was supposed to have taken over the case.  
Diane R. asked if the Board was still looking for town shed land.  
Diane said yes, they are still looking if anyone knows of anyone wanting to sell.  
Tom, is talking with someone.
Diane R. asked about ARPA funds.
Julie stated that they need to start thinking about ARPA funds because they have had several requests for funds.  Julie is going to call VLCT again for further clarification.
Julie will try to have a very preliminary 2023 budget for the December 19th meeting.
Local Hazard Mitigation Plan (LHMP):
Diane reported there was no meeting last Thursday and they will try again December 15, 2022.
Executive Session:
Motion by Tom and second by Diane R. to go into Executive Session to discuss possible legal matter and confidential CDL Records exempt per 1 V.S.A. § 313 (a)(6) at 6:51 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom and second by Diane R. to come out of Executive Session at 7:04 p.m. with no action taken.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:49 p.m.
Next meeting:  Monday, December 19, 2022
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary