Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 07-17-2023

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, July 17, 2023
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
Members Present: Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, John Rouse, Tom Barker
Members Absent:  Diane Randall
Others Present: Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.
Pledge of Allegiance:
Review of Agenda
Approval of July 10, 2023 Minutes:
Motion by Tom and second by Diane B. to approve minutes of July 10, 2023 as written.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
John asked if the check for the Brandon Fire Department was for 2023.  Julie stated that it was.
Julie confirmed that the contract with Brandon ends in 2023 and is up for renegotiation for 2024.  The contract needs to be reviewed.  A copy of the contract was shared with John.
Motion by John and second by Tom authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
Julie asked if the Board was willing to have her put in the application for the $4,000 MERP (Municipal Energy Reduction Plan) Grant for the implementation of a volunteer energy committee.
Motion by Diane B. and second by Brad for Julie to submit the application for the MERP Grant.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Julie had a gentleman who lives near the Fern Lake Access ask if the Town would consider getting a porta potty for the Fern Lake Access.
There was discussion of the pros and cons of a porta potty at the Access.  The Board is in favor of it, but wants to investigate the options and consider it for next year.  Arlan suggested considering a three-sided fence to put around it so it couldn’t be tipped over.  The town is responsible for it once it is placed on the property.  The Board liked that idea.
Road Foreman:
Arlan reported the roads are mostly alright.  He needs to get some sign posts and he needs to get the road closed signs.  
Diane asked about Judy Elwood’s driveway.  
Arlan doesn’t think he should do anything with her driveway until it stops raining.
Arlan reported that Gary is about out of gravel and he needs to get gravel farther away from Carrara or Acker.  There is plenty of winter sand.
Arlan reported there are several driveways that have to be fixed after every hard rain.
Discussion about what the town is responsible for and what the property/homeowner is responsible for. 
Brad wonders if the town should have a formal policy. 
Cemetery Update/Field Trip:
Field trip is tabled for cooler/dry weather and fewer mosquitoes.
Julie and Diane went to the cemetery and discovered the Leno corner stones were buried.  Julie and Diane uncovered the corner markers so they could clearly see their lines.  Julie spoke to Carol about the stone being off center and they said they were going to go down and fix it.  
Julie showed the Board the cemetery lot map.  Tom will update the maps.  
Tom stated that perhaps this fall he can get down, with a volunteer helper, and get things marked out.
Tom stated that everyone buried there has a corner marker.  
The price is $350 per lot.  There are two cremations per burial site or one burial.  Burial rights are for past or present residents. 
Enforcing the Junk Ordinance- Next Steps:
Julie reported that the first notice of violation was sent out last Tuesday.  The Sheriff’s Department is going down to speak them.  The Sheriff’s Department is also concerned about the horses.  Robbie is supposed to be meeting with the Game Warden about this situation.  
Fuel Contract:
Board reviewed the Fyles fixed price propane contract of $1.65 per gallon for September 1st.  The Board agreed.
Chair signed on behalf of the Board.
Weight Permit:  
Weight permit for Tim Paquette was signed.
Security/Cameras for Buildings, Roads:
Julie mentioned that they might want to start thinking about whether they want to have internet security cameras for buildings or for roads where there has been graffiti on the bridge or stolen or damaged signs and stolen road closure signs.  
Julie stated that there are certain roads that you cannot keep a sign on.
Brad explained what he has at his place and Julie talked about game cameras.
Julie will investigate some options and pricing options and bring back to the Board.
Executive Session:
Motion by Brad and second by John to go into Executive Session at 7:45 p.m. for legal matter.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Motion by Tom and second by brad to come out of Executive Session at 7:58 p.m. with following action:
  •       Authorize Clerk to send notice of violation letter.
Motion by John and second by Tom to adjourn at 8:00 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
Next meeting Monday, August 7, 2023.
Respectfully submitted,
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary