Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes - 11-01-2021

  Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, November 1, 2021
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
Members Present: Diane Benware, Ron Fiske, Tom Barker, John Rouse
 
Members Absent:  Brad Lawes
 
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to Order:  Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair.  
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda:  
 
Approval of October 18, 2021 Minutes:
 
Motion by Tom and second by John to approve minutes of October 18, 2021 as written. All in favor.  So, approved. 
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Tom and second by John authorizing Julie to pay the bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan reported that the shoulders and sand piles are done.  They did some grading and hauled some gravel.   
 
Arlan asked John if he could do any intersection plowing.  John said he would be available to do so.
 
Diane mentioned the water being up.  Arlan said it may go over the road.
 
Diane asked Arlan about a huge pot hole on Dewey Road.  Arlan will look at that one and others that need to be filled.
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie contacted the salesman about the speed limit signs.  They are supposedly shipping them.  Not sure when they are coming.
 
The salt contracts were signed and sent.
 
Julie gave the Board a copy of the First Amendment Audits from Vermont League of Cities & Towns.  She recommended they all read it; and went over some of the details in the newsletter.  
 
Julie received what she thinks is a request for an abatement.  She sent a letter back asking for clarification as she could not read the handwriting.
 
Julie explained that tax sales are in process.  The number is down a little as some have been paid off.  Wanda is doing deed research.  
 
The DRB had their meeting to review the candidate for an open position.
 
Julie had someone ask how to request ARPA funds.  Julie told them that they can write a letter to the Selectboard.  The trainings about ARPA funds through VLCT suggest that towns wait to see what State and Federal do before they make any commitment to Maple Broadband.
 
Julie shared that she heard that a wired in generator for the Town Office may be eligible for ARPA funds.  If the Selectboard is interested, she can confirm this with VLCT.
 
Efficiency Vermont would like to come down and do a free audit.  Board is fine with that.
 
Julie reported that the United Way sent a letter asking us to not require petitions for non-profit agencies to request funds for the Town of Leicester, due to Covid and the Delta variant.
 
Julie explained that the town doesn’t request petitions unless they are new or requesting more money.
 
Board agreed to keep the process as it is.
 
Weight Permits:  None
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
  •       ARPA Funds for Home Weatherization
  •       USDA Loan & Grant Programs
  •       Front Porch Forum Donation
  •       Green Up VT Water Bottle Filling Station
  •       Department of Homeland Security Grant
  •       Proclamation Request for School Choice
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to authorize Julie to send a $100 donation to Front Porch Forum and revisit and consider it when building next year’s budget.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by John and second by Tom to approve the Proclamation Request for School Choice.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
DRB Appointment:
 
Diane shared the DRB minutes.
 
Motion by Tom and second by John to accept the DRB’s recommendation of Jane Von Trapp as the newest member to the DRB.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Diane will contact Jane.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
Diane shared that the Agency of Transportation has some money through Better Back Road to support projects through MRGP.  The Board and Arlan should be thinking about future projects.
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
Town Shed:
 
Diane contacted a citizen about interest in purchasing land.  They were not interested in selling.
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
LIMITED PUBLIC OPINION:  
 
EXECUTIVE SESSION:
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to go into Executive Session at 7:06 p.m. to discuss legal matter.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by Tom and second by John to come out of Executive Session at 7:42 p.m.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by Diane and second by Tom to first contact Cree to have Cree contact Vermont Pest Control to determine the cost and get their advice on how to proceed and will it make a difference to proceed and for Cree to contact the neighbors.  Ask Cree to get that information back to the Board so Board would be able to make a decision on November 15th.  Second to authorize Diane to talk to Jim to make sure communication is sent to mortgage holder and parties involved.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Motion by Tom to adjourn at 7:40 p.m.
 
Next meeting:  Monday, November 15, 2021 
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley, Secretary