Welcome to Leicester, VT

A Great Place to Live

Minutes 01-04-21

Town of Leicester
Selectboard Meeting Minutes
Monday, January 4, 2021
*Unapproved*
** See subsequent minutes for any changes
 
 
Members Present:  Diane Benware, Brad Lawes, Tom Barker, Ron Fiske, John Rouse
Others Present:  Julie Delphia, Arlan Pidgeon, Tom Kilpeck, Sandra Trombley, Secretary
 
Call to OrderCalled meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. 
 
Pledge of Allegiance:
 
Review of Agenda:  
 
Approval of December 21, 2020 Minutes:
 
Motion by Brad, second by Tom to approve minutes of December 21, 2020 as written. 4 yes and 1 abstention (John).  So, approved. 
 
Review/Authorization to Pay Bills:
 
Motion by Tom, second by Brad to approve bills.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Reports from Town Officials, Committees:
 
Road Foreman:
 
Arlan did not have anything to report.  All good.
 
Town Clerk/Treasurer:
 
Julie reported she is just trying to finish up the year and working on the Town Report. 
 
Tom asked about the new Animal Control person.  
 
Julie is waiting for more information to finalize the I-9.  Diane will send her an email.
 
Weight Permits:
 
 
CORRESPONDENCE:
 
Diane reported she received a thank you letter from Jessica Danyow at Homeward Bound for the donation of $500 in honor of John Rouse for his service as Animal Control Officer.
 
 
NEW BUSINESS:
 
Conversation with BFD Chief: Contract for Fire Protection:
 
Diane made introductions to Tom Kilpeck, Brandon Fire Department Chief.  
 
Tom Kilpeck explained the contract annual rate will remain the same for the upcoming three years.  He had copies signed by his Board for the Selectboard to sign.
 
Motion by Tom and second by John to contract with the Brandon Fire Department for fire protection for the next three years at the current rate of $44,000 per year.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Board signed the contract for fire protection.
 
Diane and Tom gave history information about when they were not under a contract and were “per response”.
 
Tom Kilpeck gave some history and gave the Board some call information and how calls are handled.  He said the Fire Department has made 60 calls to the Town of Leicester in the last three years.  Half or more were traffic accidents.  They do traffic control, EMS assistance, vehicle extrication and whatever else their needed for.  His staff is cross trained.
 
Tom explained they have a mutual aid agreement with other towns.
 
Board thanked Tom for coming.  Tom stated they are always willing to help and feel free to contact him.
 
Ron was wondering if there was any kind of insurance policy the town could buy to cover the cost of fire calls per incident.  Diane thought that would be a question for VLCT.
 
Brad suggested they get a report each year from BFD about Leicester fire calls for structure fires, brush fires, vehicle fires, etc.
 
Town Hall:
 
Julie reported that the Town Hall sink has been dripping a long time and has built up from hard water and looks like mold growing on the water build up.  In the silverware drawer, there are mouse droppings.
 
Diane stated it was the Historical Society’s plan to replace the sink and faucet.  The Historical Society will pay for replacing the sink and faucet.  
 
Tom will call David Crane to set up a time to come.
 
Tom has some mouse traps.
 
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
Building the 2021 Budget:
 
There was discussion about the Sheriff’s Department’s services.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to suspend the Sheriff’s services until April 15th and then revisit at that time.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Tom met with Jordan about snow sliding off the roof and discussed snow defenders for the parking side of the Town Office roof.
 
Diane asked Tom to contact Jordan for a quote on their price with installation.
 
Julie provided a revised budget for review.
 
Tom reported that Gus Letourneau will keep his mowing price the same as last year for the cemetery.
 
Diane reported that Calvin would like an increase in his mowing price.  There was discussion.
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron to increase to $100 per mowing and increase to $125 for triangle work.  4 yes and 1 no (John).  So, approved.
 
Diane shared that she talked with Lem about his request for an increase of $5.  Diane will go back to Lem and talk with him about Board’s concerns to keep the budget down and their offer of a $2.50 increase.
 
Diane talked about an increase in Town Clerk & Treasurer’s salary.
 
Motion by Diane and second by Tom to increase salary by $1,000 to be split between each position by $500.  All in favor.  So, approved.
 
Julie stated that the 2021 budget and warning needs to be finalized at the next meeting on January 18th.
 
 
BUILDING NEEDS:
 
 
HIGHWAY CONCERNS/NEEDS:
 
 
Motion by Tom and second by Ron, to adjourn at 8:24 p.m.   
 
Next Regular Meeting: January 18, 2021
 
Respectfully submitted,
 
 
Sandra L. Trombley

Selectboard Secretary